Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old November 28th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Senior Contributor

State Suspends License Of Local Veterinarian

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Your pet may be a victim of abuse and you might not even know it, KMBC's Lara Moritz reported Monday.

"He punched and he kicked dogs," Melody Solace said.

Solace used to work with veterinarian Dr. Kevin Lesslie. Moritz reported that the documented allegations against Lesslie date back to 2002, when he owned part of Mill Creek Animal Clinic in Wamego, Kan.

Solace said the Lesslie could be charming and charismatic, but that he had another side to him, which forced those in the clinic to document his behavior.

"Things that were documented were animals being kicked, animals being hit, being thrown, cursed at, punched. It wasn't a rare occurrence, it was a regular occurrence," Solace said.

Moritz reported that there were more than 100 cases documented of physical abuse, neglect and testing that was never done. Solace said she was told by Lesslie to contact the pet owners with false results.

"That was difficult to have to call the owner, when I know that I'm lying, and I would say, 'Dr. Lesslie wanted me to tell you the heartworm test was negative.' Very difficult," Solace said.

Amanda Minkler said she witnessed the abuse first hand.

"There was one incident when a dog was in a run and we went to take it out. The dog was cowering in the back. (Lesslie) was trying to clean up the stool the dog had made. He ended up beating the dog with the scraper, and that was one of the most detrimental ones I had seen," Minkler told Moritz.

In March of 2002, the staff at the Mill Creek Animal Clinic wrote a letter to Lesslie. Among the concerns outlined were inhumane euthanasia and an apparent lack of compassion.

Moritz reported that the staff sent a second letter in October 2002 reiterating the same concerns. This time both veterinarians and five staff members signed it and sent a copy to the Kansas State Board of Veterinarians.

The board fined Lesslie $10,000 and ordered him to attend anger management classes.

Lesslie left Mill Creek and opened his own clinic in Leawood in 2003.

Employees at his Leawood clinic accused Lesslie of attempting to spay a male kitten. The complaint stated that the doctor had trouble locating the ovaries and uterus, closed the incision and proceeded with a neuter.

Moritz said that Lesslie is also accused of never checking the heart beat after euthanizing an animal. Instead, he placed the animal in a bag for disposal, the complaint stated.

"It's not fair. It's not true," said Lora Hudson, who used to work with Lesslie.

Hudson came to Lesslie's defense while video was being shot of his closed clinic, Moritz reported.

"I haven't witnessed anything, and I don't believe any of this to be true. He's just had a bad, bad deal from the word go on everything," Hudson said.

On Nov. 17, the board of veterinarians released its findings in two more cases filed against Lesslie in Wamego. Lesslie's license was also suspended at that time.

"The No. 1 thing we wanted was Dr. Lesslie out of practice, not seeing the public period," said a member of the board of veterinarians.

Some former employees of Lesslie said they are frustrated over how long it took the board to make a decision, and that Lesslie can participate in other areas veterinary medicine, such as research.

"We've wound up with four more years of horrendous animal treatment, abuse and defrauding the public, which did not need to happen," said Marilyn Moore.

"I'm disappointed that he's getting to keep any part of his license -- very disappointed in that -- but that's the wheels of justice," said Mariann Thayer.

Clients of Lesslie's who would like their pets' records will need to contact the Kansas Board of Veterinarians at 785-456-8781 or at P.O. Box 242, Wamego, KS 66547-0242.

The board told KMBC that Lesslie took all of the records home with him.

'I Accept Full Responsibility'

Moritz said she tried contacting Lesslie at his home and she tried calling him, but he would not agree to an interview.

On Monday, Moritz received an e-mail from Lesslie. It read: "In response to the allegations that have been made, I have discussed them at length with the Board of Veterinary Examiners and am in full compliance with their decision and recommendations. As the owner of the practice, I accept full responsibility for anything that took place at my clinic. I apologize to anyone this has affected."
Copyright 2006 by TheKansasCityChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

News headlines on TheKansasCityChannel.com sponsored by:

Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Live well, laugh often

OMG, I feel just sick reading this.

He should be thrown in jail for animal abuse!
Old November 28th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Of all the things in this messed up world.Anyone that hurts an animal in any form deserves to have done to them exactly what they did to the animal no questions about it................Whether is be beating,stabbing etc etc makes no differnece,you have to be the lowest form of life to kick around a dog or cat........loserrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old November 28th, 2006, 10:38 PM
-

That's horrendous. One can only hope that he is run out of town by the community wherever he lives and shunned by his family and friends forever.
Old November 28th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Honest Contributor

oh he will burn in hell... eventually they all do. it's just a pity that some poor creatures suffered at his hands first - people suck, they really do

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old November 29th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I believe that more and more to people do suck,something has seriously gone bad in the world.
Old November 29th, 2006, 09:02 PM
-

Why would he want to be a vet than ? Stupid man. Dog I love MY vet!