Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 12th, 2006, 11:21 AM

Question house training a Jack Russell puppy

Hi all I am new here & really need some help. I have a four month old Jack Russell puppy(I mention Jack Russell because I understand that they can be very stubborn I am having such a difficult time training her to do her business outside. For instance, last night I took her out just before bed to do what I know she has to do. She did pee & then ran to the door so I took her back in. I could still tell that she had something to do so I took her back outside - this happened three more times - in & out, in & out. Finally we just went in & about 3 minutes later she did poo in the house. The same thing happened this morning & does on a regular basis. What am I doing wrong? I praise the heck out of her when she does it outside & really get upset with her when I catch her in the house. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. Thank you. Katherine
Old October 12th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Agility Addict

What do you mean by "I get really upset at her"?? It can be very difficult for a puppy/dog to understand what they are being punished for, even if they are caught in the act. I find that its much easier to not give them the opportunity to make the wrong choice ("misbehave").

So at this point, she shouldn't have the opportunity to have an accident in the house. Which means, if you cannot watch her, she should be confined or tied where you can keep an eye on her. Do you have her on a feeding/watering/walking schedule?
Try not to bring her back inside until she has done all of her business - you can teach her to potty on command and/or ring a bell when she needs to go outside. Exercising her before bringing her inside may help, since physical activity will help her to pee/poop!

Good luck with your pup!
Old October 13th, 2006, 09:43 AM

help with training

Lissa: First of all, thank you so much for your reply. I completely understand what you are saying. She probably does have more freedom inside the house than she should have. I will certainly take your advice & use it. Thanks again. Katherine
Old October 16th, 2006, 11:37 AM

HI nice to meet another jack russell dog owner I have been have the same issues with lucky she is 15 weeks old this week she can go 4 days perfect no accidents the 5th day she can never make the whole day without a accident then good for 4 days then the dreaded 5th day we where so hoping that was going to be a good day and make but she never did. The weather is almost freezing and supposed to snow today so the weather is part to throw her off too I think. Please lets have patience and get threw this sooner or later( we hope)
Old October 20th, 2006, 03:45 AM

Hi Katherine

I know that the JRT is stubborn like you say and what I have to do with mine is say firmly, and sometimes repeatedly, "go potty" and I don't go back in until the job is done. Of course there will be times when the waiting gets the best of you. In that case come back out again and again until success is achieved. You can't let her be the boss. I know it is hard to stay outside for long periods of time, but I think most small dogs will need to go first thing in the A.M. and between 30 minutes and 3 hours after dinner. Make sure you feed her at the same time every day and use the same good quality food, so that you will be able to judge when she needs to go by her past performance. If you feed at the same time and in the same amounts she will become "regular" and that is a large part of the solution. Take her out often after dinner until she starts to show progress. In the morning, don't even bring her in until she goes. I know this is hard but it is the only way to ensure that she understands what you expect.
Good Luck and let us know how it's going!

Last edited by comesitstay; October 20th, 2006 at 03:49 AM.