Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old October 7th, 2005, 11:37 PM

Montreal - 22 cats need help

URGENT. I have an elderly lady in Ile Perrot with 22 cats (ranging in age from 1 year to 8 years; 10 males - all neutered, 2 of them declawed, and 11 females - intact, plus one kitten of 3 months) who needs to place them all within the next 2 weeks.

She has 'rescued' these cats from around her home (strays) over the years and had paid for the males to be neutered (she said she couldn't afford the cost to spay females).

Her landlord is evicting her in 2 weeks and the local CLSC (health care agency) is placing her in a home. She has called numerous local vets and none of them will put the cats down if they are healthy (which she assures me they are).

This poor soul is even asking if anyone can put them in a barn and she will come and take care of them.

Ideally she wants to place them in homes or shelters, but all rescues she has contacted have told her, "sorry, no room" (including me).

I do want to help her, but am at a loss as to how. I'm surprised that the vets are turning her down, as the cats will be either out on the street when she loses her home, or the animal control agency will pick them all up and bring them to the SPCA.

I will cross-post her dilema and send out e-mails to all my contacts. I know that some of the larger groups in the greater Montreal area have been able to help in situations like this. SOS MIOW does not have the resources to take in 22 cats, as we do not have a 'shelter' or a place to put that many (we have limited foster homes and my own home is full).

Please PM me for name/phone number of the owner of the cats if you can help.
Old October 8th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Do you have any pictures of these cats? Declawed cats are not hard to place. I had someone call me last week, to see if I had any kittens available at my house. The young cats what do they look like??
Old October 8th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry to change the subject here, but

Quote:
I had someone call me last week, to see if I had any kittens available at my house.
I"ve got 3, 8 week old calico kittens listed on my site.
Old October 8th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Problem is, my neighbors won't drive far to pick up the animals. They like pick up and delivery service from me. They tell me what they are looking for and I deliver the animals to them.(I even had people on a waiting list) All the animals that I placed with my neighbors they all have quality homes. Actually last year, I had couple of people telling me they were looking for dogs. I organized a dog adoption day at the dog park with the SPCA Monteregie and 5 dogs got placed that day and couple of others were placed couple of weeks later. What caught my attention about SOS miow's post is, the lady lives in Ile Perrot,(my brother lives there) and I am going to his house on Monday for ThanksGiving.

Last edited by poodletalk; October 8th, 2005 at 01:37 PM.
Old October 8th, 2005, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb's Lucky Rescue
Sorry to change the subject here, but I"ve got 3, 8 week old calico kittens listed on my site.
We, too, have kittens (8-12 weeks old), but this lady's situation is rather desperate. I'm hoping some of our SOS kittens go at the next adoption clinic at Mondou 4067 St-Jean (October 15th, from noon to 3:00 pm).
Old October 9th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Apparently there is some confusions in this story. I will be going to her home this morning with another rescuer to take photos and meet her menagerie. I will post back the results once I have met personally with the lady. Several rescues have offered to take 1 0r 2 cats in so once we have photos, we will share. Thanks.
Old October 9th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Senior Contributor

purrfect, let me know how I can help.
Old October 9th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Have photos now of all the cats and they are catalogued. We saw 16 I believe. None are vaccinated, majority of males are neutered, no females are spayed. Range in age from 8 week old kitten to 12 year old cat. Mainly Tabbies, two beautiful 8 year old Silver Males. If any rescue is interested in taking one in, please send a pm with your email address and I will be happy to send photos with details. Lady is not elderly nor is she moving into a CLSC home. She does have to move by October 26th but that is not for any of the reasons previously stated. As she has not secured a new residence as of yet, she would like to start placing cats soon. Thank you.
Old October 9th, 2005, 08:28 PM

The lady sure gave me a different story on the phone - she said she had 22 cats (10 males, 11 females, and 1 kitten). Perhaps some were outside.

At one point, the lady also told me she wanted to rent someone's barn or garage to live in and care for the cats; the next minute she told me that the CLSC was looking for a home for her (I assumed she was going to be 'placed' in a home). Hopefully, she is now giving you the true story.

My vet knows this lady, and she owes money for vet care (overdue by months).

I assume she was elderly based on her voice and manner of speaking on the phone (she sure sounded elderly.....).

I haven't been able to help her out as I am in school full-time right now and have a houseful of kitties for adoption, plus 4 in cages that require various medications. So my plate is full at the moment.

Thanks to BMDLuver and friends for stepping in and taking over this situation.

Old October 10th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Please note that all of these cats require a vet visit, vaccinations and a quarantine period before adoption. They cannot just be brought to someone's adoption day and offered to the general public without this. The females and a few of the males require altering prior to adoption.

On a side note, I have never heard of a rescue asking for a $50 per cat deposit in case you don't come back for your cat at the end of the day? Is this common practice? Interesting approach.
Old October 10th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Senior Contributor

I've been following this story and kudos to all of you for trying to help these poor cats.
I could never really understand cat/dog collections.I guess they start off wanting to help,but in the end it's usually only the animals that suffer,were it not for people like you guys trying to help out.
It seems like an enormous task,especially with all the other needy animals in Quebec.
I am hoping there is a good ending for at least some of the cats :love:
Old October 10th, 2005, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver
On a side note, I have never heard of a rescue asking for a $50 per cat deposit in case you don't come back for your cat at the end of the day? Is this common practice? Interesting approach.
I have never heard of it either until the rescue in question responded to my cross-posting of the situation. I guess they have been left too many times with cats dumped at adoption clinics and people not returning for them at the end of the day. The rescue in question mentioned that the $50 deposit will cover the cost to take the cat to the SPCA if the owner doesn't show up to take them back.
Old October 10th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Senior Contributor

A rescue taking cats to the SPCA? Who would do such a thing??
Old October 10th, 2005, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb's Lucky Rescue
A rescue taking cats to the SPCA? Who would do such a thing??
Check your PM's.
Old October 23rd, 2005, 10:36 AM

Volunteer to Help

I got a call today from a lady who says she can take 10 of these cats. What is the status of the situation? Please PM me and I will give you the woman's coordinates.