Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Closed Thread

Old July 31st, 2005, 09:09 PM
My Pack of Wolves

Smile Hello from My wolves and me

Hi Everyone,

I found this website when my adult male wolf was ill a couple weeks ago. Looks great, Im sort of new to forums as a whole, so please be gentle with us. LOL.
Old July 31st, 2005, 09:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the board Sheba! out of curiosity- actual wolves? or "wolves" being dogs that look like wolves?
Old July 31st, 2005, 09:15 PM
My Pack of Wolves

wolves

Hey, thanks for responding, yes actual wolves...real ones. I had put their website in wrong so i just fixed it. There are some pics and bio info there on them. Canadian Timbers, and really wonderful animals to coexist with.
Old July 31st, 2005, 09:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow. they sure are beautiful. just thought i'd check, as we refer to our belgian sheepdog as a wolf

Last edited by Puppyluv; July 31st, 2005 at 09:44 PM.
Old July 31st, 2005, 10:23 PM
-

Nice pics. Are you breeding them? I noticed more than the three in the pics. Also, you mentioned Tess, who is she?
Old August 1st, 2005, 07:47 AM

Where?

I don't see website listed, or am I missing something, LOL Welcome!
Old August 1st, 2005, 07:51 AM
-

Click on user name, drop down list options, then to homepage.

Last edited by StaceyB; August 1st, 2005 at 09:59 AM.
Old August 1st, 2005, 08:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Sheba,I don't generally agree with"taming"or keeping this magnificent animal in capture,if your wolves can help educate people about them,I guess it's not such a bad thing,as long as everyone do not go out looking for a wolf-pup for a pet.
They are beautiful animals and their intelligence and sense of loyalty to their pack intrigues me.I've read several books on wolves and their behaviours and the cruelty of humans.
I prefer to see them in the wild,as I do any wild animal,still,your wolves are beautiful..
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow Sheba – fantastic looking animals.

There are many opposing views on owning wolves as pets and without all the information I would say my views pretty much are in line with Chico2. I hope this doesn’t spin this thread off topic.

Question: I have read that wolves are extremely loyal to the ‘pack’ and will bond with all family members during a so-called ‘imprinting’ period. Once that period closes they will not accept any newcomers into the pack. What’s your experience with that statement?
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:47 AM
Rottie owner and lover

I want to see her website, I can not find it in her public profile ???? where exactly is it ???
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Rottielover- single click on Sheba's name and the third option on the scroll list should be "Visit Sheba's Homepage!" Hope that helps
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:56 AM
-

Sorry, I was a little off. Click on her name. In the dropdown it will have an option for homepage, click on that. It will bring you to her site.
Old August 1st, 2005, 12:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I am with Chico on tyhis. I love wolves but they are wild creatures and unless they need rescue - and then reellease back to gthe wild - I do not agree they should be pets. I do know of one man - friend of a friend in BC - who tamed a wolf out of necessity (He rescued the wolf as a cub and unfortunately, the cub became much too dependent on him. So the wolf is now a well trained pet and obviously, a curiosity in the small community they live in. But he would not have done this by choice - he is a biologist by training so professionally would release wild creatures to their natural habitats where they do better. But this one is an exception - will check out your site tho).

I do hope you're not breeding them, yikes!! Did you rescue these guys? Is that how it happened?
Old August 1st, 2005, 12:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Oy vey as they say!! I peeked at your site and I am sorry, I do not agree with this. Why are they in cages in some pix? They don't live like that do they????
Old August 1st, 2005, 02:33 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Where did you get these wolves from and why ?
Old August 1st, 2005, 03:00 PM
Senior Contributor

having spent 1/2 of my childhood in the mountains and regularily living with wild wolves litterally sleeping on our balcony.. I'm not even going to get involved on my oppinions on this...
I will however say that your wolves are beautiful, and i TRULY hope there is a good reason as to why/how you acquired them
Old August 1st, 2005, 05:16 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Wild vs tame or in sanctuary is different

IMHO unless they need rehabilitation they should never be in captivity.
Old August 1st, 2005, 06:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree 100% Luba

(the wolves that slept on our balcony-and still do-did so out of choice because of where our houses were... deffinately not because we made them!)

Last edited by Puppyluv; August 1st, 2005 at 06:31 PM.
Old August 1st, 2005, 08:48 PM
Owned by goldens

Wolfs - captive

I don't know the circumstances of why she keeps wolves as pets but I do know that in some native cultures it is custom to keep them captive.
Old August 1st, 2005, 08:52 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Well in some cultures it is also permitted to capture wild monkeys, hold them in containers underneath dining tables where a small circle is cut out of the centre. The Monkey's head is held in place and each diner is given a little club to hit the little monkey over the head, in essence bashing it's brains in until it dies. They then dine on the brains.

Just because it's something that is cultural doesn't make it right.
Old August 1st, 2005, 08:58 PM
Senior Contributor

please tell me thats not true..... :sad:
Old August 1st, 2005, 08:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Some cultures also eat bunnies and dogs, I find that upsetting as well!

Wolves - unless there is an absolutely excellent reason for an alternative - belong in the wild!! Period!
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:27 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG Luba.I just about tossed my cookies(or should I say banana)

Yes Puppyluv,Monkey brains is devoured in certain countries.

Sheba,your wolves are beautiful.But I am too curious as to why you have them.
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:21 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I wish I were kidding...

Uh Mona what kind of cookies... LOL kidding! haha
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:49 PM
My Pack of Wolves

captive pets ??

Well this certainly has opened a can of worms close to my heart. Tess by the way is the mother of Kala and Atsilla. She is so lovable and wonderful to be around. To answer the accepting others into the pack, they will at anytime, in fact as they mature they become less, let’s say pushy about it. Yes they do bond and I will say that our door is never closed as they like to come and go as they wish. I however don’t fear a thing; NO one messes with mama LOL that’s me. I have never had better friends or companions than my babies. I would be the first to tell anyone they do not want to try these guys. The responsibility that goes with them is not to be taken lightly. We don’t breed them, as I don’t believe that too many people have the lifestyle to raise them. You do not make them conform to you; rather you conform to them. The cage you see…is not a cage. It is our home, we travel the country in a motor home and have a 15 x 20 foot kennel that attaches to the home

To address the rest I will put it as tutorial as possible. I will first ask where everyone’s opinion has been when the wolves were getting slaughtered because we read too many red riding hood stories. Wolves are the closest things to us socially that exist and are as smart if not smarter than most humans I have met. They aren’t pets and are not tame. It is only the human who puts them in groups such as wild or owned. We have raised them to be what they are; wolves. Teaching them as they grew was like bringing up any loving child and we hope that the social skills and knowledge we gave them is enough. They have not been denied any growth. They learned as wolves, they played as wolves, and were disciplined as wolves. Watching Wolf, my hubby interact with them is simply wonderful. He and Osiyo are exactly the same and to watch how they respect each other and also handle their arguments is nothing short of being in the "wild". Really people I could go on forever about this topic, but I have found I lied and this isn’t tutorial, so I will just say you are welcome to your opinions but don’t judge what you do not know. As Wolf says "Yeah lets keep them in the wild to be shot and eat rats, who cares that they are just as smart as we are but apparently we are too stupid to get along with them". So whatever negative we get we know just one thing and that’s that our life is wonderful being with these guys and I have no complaints from them either. Instead of judging the idea, lets ask them whether they would rather have rats or steak. LOL. I know what they will pick already. I really don’t want to discuss what humans think about us living with them, but if you have any questions, I will be happy to address them.
Old August 1st, 2005, 11:35 PM
Personal servant to Joey

I think your site is interesting and you could probably educate a lot of people with your knowledge about them. After google Canadian Timber wolves the first site I came upon was a hunting expedition for them. Very sad I am not sure what they want with these beautiful animals. When you say they are free to come and go as they please if they decided to go live in the wild you would be accepting of this.
By the way welcome to the forum.
Old August 1st, 2005, 11:36 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I really don't understand where you got them from, this you havent' explained or not that I've read anywhere. They can't be raised as if wild wolves as you indicate, if you are feeding them, training them and travelling with them...they are 'pets' very simply.

I also disagree with people keeping other exotics in captivity and as pets.

To me there is no reason/need.

You make this quote:

Quote:
Yeah lets keep them in the wild to be shot and eat rats, who cares that they are just as smart as we are but apparently we are too stupid to get along with them".
But you don't respect the fact they are creatures of the wild and thus should remain. I don't agree with 'too stupid to get along with them'....we shouldn't be trucking them around in our motorhomes having them live in cages.

You may be a very lovely person and some part of you feels you are doing right, but doing right by who/by whom and for whom?
Old August 2nd, 2005, 02:05 AM

Maybe I'm dense, but what makes them wolves and not huskies?
Old August 2nd, 2005, 07:42 AM

Well okay, I waited for you response before forming my opinion. You state they are wild, they are wolves and you encourage that. However, with all due respect, you are breaking their biggest wolf instinct, and that is to be free, to be wild, to form their own pack as they choose. You feed them what you want them to eat albeit steak, they are not hunting as a pack as they would in the wild, and you make it very clear, you, a human are head of the hiearchy. They do not travel the hills and mountains freely, but in a motor home, and I noticed in some pictures are on a harness, or rope being used to interact with humans. They are not free to breed, (thank goodness) in your captivity, as they would in the wild, which also affects the essence of the whole wolf personality and all that comes with it within the pack. This is not the true essence of a wolf.

State all you want these are wild wolves, they are in fact wolves made into pets. That IMHO is just wrong. It's too bad, you were not able to find another way of helping these wild animals survive along side humans by educating the public about them WITHOUT having them as captive pets.

I also read your site, maybe it's new? Maybe I missed some of it, but no where did I see a fact sheet about wolves, describing all their characteristics, personality, etc. in the wild. I hope you add that, and really educate people on these beautiful wild creatures if that is your real intention.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 08:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Ok,you say you don't breed them.BUT you had to at one point.

This from your site.

We got Osiyo at 5 weeks(seems pretty young to me.What happened to his Mom?)Jan 27/01

Then you have Kala(Son of Osiyo)May 26/03

Then Astilla,also born May 26/03...

Then of course Tess who is the mother of the two.

Why would you mess with nature and breed them?

This from your site.

"We have gone through the steps to socialize them with humans as much as possible. The wolves have made the transition wonderfully, but alas, people aren't as willing to give up their piece of the sidewalk yet. We travel the country trying to educate and allow people to see for themselves what wonderful friends the wolves are"

You have demesticated a wild animal.Something a Wolf shouldn't be.They should be free in the wild.And now you have them as pets.

Sure,educate people by saying,yes you too can can have a wolf for a pet.And please don't think that this isn't what they are thinking.

Bears are being slaughtered also,does that mean we should take them out of the wild and make them pets?

Sorry,but IMHO,what you have done is wrong.