Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old July 5th, 2010, 03:47 PM

Calgary Humane Society goes 155 days w/o Euthanizing any Adoptable Cats

http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/Ca...773/story.html

Quote:
The Calgary Humane Society, in collaboration with the Calgary North Veterinary Hospital, has implemented a remote adoption initiative at the vet hospital (4204 4th St. N.W.) that will help find homes for the many stray cats that roam our city's streets.

"At this time of year we typically see anywhere from 30 to 50 cats per day enter our shelter," says Desiree Arsenault, manager of communications with the Calgary Humane Society, adding that it can sometimes seem overwhelming.

"That being said, though, we've also seen an overwhelming response from Calgarians in the number of adoptions that have taken place over the last month. These placements have not only allowed us to sustain our cat population, but have also allowed us to stop euthanizing adoptable cats for over 155 days. This is a historic record for the shelter."
I think it would be amazing if the city of Calgary, in conjunction with the Humane Society spearheaded a campaign that would help renters have better access to housing. I think that would definitely aid in getting some animals adopted. Perhaps if there were some sort of responsible pet ownership database that landlords could look at when considering a pet owner for a place?

I just know a few people who have their pets against the lease agreement or do not take the risk because they cannot find pet friendly housing.
Old July 5th, 2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .unknown. View Post
I think it would be amazing if the city of Calgary, in conjunction with the Humane Society spearheaded a campaign that would help renters have better access to housing. I think that would definitely aid in getting some animals adopted. Perhaps if there were some sort of responsible pet ownership database that landlords could look at when considering a pet owner for a place?

I just know a few people who have their pets against the lease agreement or do not take the risk because they cannot find pet friendly housing.
That sounds amazing, actually. I would love to have that sort of thing established where I live! It is really hard finding an apartment that will allow pets. I can see why many people would be hesitant to take in pets for that reason. I know that a lot of my family members thought we were "crazy" for having dogs while we're so young and mobile, just because of the housing issue.