Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Puppy health

Old March 15th, 2011, 10:29 AM

Question New puppy please help!

Hi I just got my "Chorkie" (chihuahua/Yorkie) puppy 5 days ago. the lady i got her from was...soso? she said she gave the puppy it's shots and all of that but I'll be asking her to send me the receipt of that soon just so i have proof. the puppy is 9 weeks old and is eating "Blue" i read up about the " Blue" food and found it to be the healthiest. she eats NO human food at all. But I am a little concerned about a few things..

1. she sneezes a lot more then any other dog i have ever owned. she scared me this morning when she had a sneezing fit and just wouldn't stop. is that ok? what can that mean?

2. I found a little glob of mucus in her stool this morning as well.. I did google what it could mean so i plan on going to get her worm medicine just in case. but should I be very concerned about that too?

She does play a lot she is very active always running around and barking or growling like an adorable little puppy she eats very well and drinks and has normal body functions everyday. Oh and she does get her sleep I know puppies are supposed to sleep a lot and she does!
Please help me out and ease some of my worries if you can...
thanks
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:06 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Have you considered taking her to your vet for a complete checkup? She should be going anyway as she is a new pet and will need to be certified as healthy. Is she up to date on shots? Being a mixed breed coming from a "soso" lady I would think probably not. She would be what is known as a back yard breeder, a broker for a puppy mill, or a miller herself. Especially if she attached the fancy name to the mix.
Actually, you may be surprised to know that "human food" is good for your dog - if prepared properly. Preparing properly does not mean cooking the snot out of it like we do our own food. There is a forum here on Pets dealing with feeding raw or other species appropriate diets to our pets. It is the over processed, questionable ingredients in kibble that we should be more concerned with IMO.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 15th, 2011, 06:04 PM

yes I plan on taking her to a vet tomorrow as soon as possible. she is more bloated today and sluggish too. she did play hard yesterday so I thought it might be ok..but as i read up about bloated stomachs in a puppy I see that can mean bad things so I did get her some dewormer and gave her a very very little bit in some wet dog food and she ate it all. but she has only ate twice today and not very much so I am a little worried. I will be taking her to get checked out and make sure she is ok
Old March 15th, 2011, 06:15 PM
chronically insane.

Sounds like you were given a poorly bred puppy mill dog. People like that scam unsuspecting people out of their money in order to feed it into Back Yard Breeders and Puppy Miller's who treat dogs poorly and mass produce them in order to make money. I am willing to be that if you try to contact this woman again you will find she has mysteriously disappeared.

Here is some information
http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/puppy_mills/

http://www.aspca.org/fight-animal-cruelty/puppy-mills/

http://www.peta.org/issues/Companion...pet-trade.aspx

http://network.bestfriends.org/campa...s/default.aspx

Quote:
Puppy millers are different from “hobby breeders,” who have a fondness and respect for a particular
breed that they want to maintain and share. There are several ways to tell them apart. Puppy mills:

• Usually have several breeds of dogs for sale, keep a lot of dogs and always have a lot of puppies,
• Often offer to ship dogs to new owners,
• Sell puppies over the Internet and in pet stores,
• Do not require an application or references from people buying a puppy,
• Usually will not allow customers to view their property or kennel,
• Don’t ask buyers to return the dog or contact them if at any point the owners cannot keep the dog,
• Breed females every time they come into heat so they are always pregnant or nursing,
• Do not typically screen dogs for genetic defects (eye, joint, hip and other congenital problems that can
be painful and expensive to treat, if treatment is even possible).

The only thing you can do right now is go to a vet ASAP and keep your new pup away from any other animals and people incase she has any infectious diseases. The person probably lied and did not inoculate your puppy properly if at all. Diseases like distemper and parvo can run rampant through brokers and puppy mills. They are often not dewormed either and can carry intestinal parasites like Roundworms, Hookworms, Tapeworms, Giardia & Coccidia which can be contagious to other animals & people.

Hope everything goes will for you at the vets. If you find anything out tomorrow let us know!

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old March 15th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Doggie Wench

Please don't give your puppy any more of the over the counter dewormers. Some can do more harm than good. When you take her to see the vet tomorrow, bring in a fresh stool sample with you so it can be tested. Her sneezing may be kennel cough. It's usually not serious unless secondary infection sets in...all the more reason to have her seen by a vet asap.

Please check back with us to let us know how she's doing.
Old March 16th, 2011, 12:00 AM
-

Welocme to pets.ca KTroutt.

Everyone has given you excellent advice and I hope your vet visit goes well tomorrow ......please post an update.
Old March 16th, 2011, 10:03 PM

How did it go at the vet? Hope your pup is okay!
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:51 PM

Hope the little pup is doing OK and you were able to get her to the vet.

I would be surprised if your vet didn't want to start immunizations over from the beginning given the pup's background. I've heard horror stories about the vaccinations some of the "breeders" give, from the vaccine not being handled or stored right to using the same needle to inject multiple pups.

When you got the pup, were you given some of her food to take home with you? Blue is a good food, but if you suddenly switch foods pups and dogs can get stomach upsets. It is advised to mix the old food and new food over the course of a week or so (start with 75% old to 25% new, then 50%/50%, then 25% old to 75% new). The mucus on the stool could be related to a mild bout of colitis from the food switch. Or parasites, or other things. As you planned, getting this checked is advisable.

My pup was so little that when I fed him, he looked bloated as well. I ended up dividing his meal into 3 or 4 portions. Made housetraining a nightmare, but was better for his little tummy. And it is only for a few weeks. The lethargy and lack of interest in food is concerning, however.

I know several are questioning where you got the pup, plus your comment that the person was "so-so". I got my pup in September at age 9 weeks. He had been given two sets of immunizations and wormed appropriately. I was given a packet of information that included his health records. This had stickers from the vaccination vials, information about the wormer used, weekly weight listings and a printout from the vet detailing my pup's health and the overall health of the litter. I was also given heartworm preventative, a month's supply of Advantix (suitable to his weight) and a bottle of vitamins. This is in addition to all registration papers, etc. Just want you to know that you should not need to ask for proof of the vaccinations, this should have been given to you at the time of purchase. My vet typically will not accept breeder-given immunizations, however, he did in my pup's case. All the needed information was provided along with the breeder's contact information. My vet knew the breeder was a former vet tech and understood how to handle the serum.

Hope you will check back with us and give an update. Good luck.
Old March 17th, 2011, 12:06 AM
chronically insane.

Oh yes ScottieDog, I have seen some pretty ridiculous "breeder" records before when working at low cost vaccine clinics for shelters.. numerous times people would come in with "health records" from breeders like Puppy Dog Heaven or Cuddly Puppy Palace and places like that In nearly every one of those "certificates" that were typed up either in Paint or MS Word, half them couldn't even spell 'puppy' correctly let alone make any kind of record that a veterinarian would accept. I wish I could have take pictures of some of them they were so atrocious... and when I would ask people if they expected me to believe that Billy Bob Joe properly vaccinated the pup for "destimper" or "parvoe" they'd get all upset.

Health records are VERY easy to forge, and to the unsuspecting buyer they wouldn't notice. I'd easily be able to spot things because I'm used to doing stuff like this, but to people who have no experience with these type of things, it's quite easy for bad people to take advantage of them

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old March 17th, 2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTroutt View Post
Hi I just got my "Chorkie" (chihuahua/Yorkie) puppy 5 days ago. the lady i got her from was...soso? she said she gave the puppy it's shots and all of that but I'll be asking her to send me the receipt of that soon just so i have proof. the puppy is 9 weeks old and is eating "Blue" i read up about the " Blue" food and found it to be the healthiest. she eats NO human food at all. But I am a little concerned about a few things..

1. she sneezes a lot more then any other dog i have ever owned. she scared me this morning when she had a sneezing fit and just wouldn't stop. is that ok? what can that mean?

2. I found a little glob of mucus in her stool this morning as well.. I did google what it could mean so i plan on going to get her worm medicine just in case. but should I be very concerned about that too?

She does play a lot she is very active always running around and barking or growling like an adorable little puppy she eats very well and drinks and has normal body functions everyday. Oh and she does get her sleep I know puppies are supposed to sleep a lot and she does!
Please help me out and ease some of my worries if you can...
thanks
If a good breeder does their own vaccines, they would provide you a paper with the label off the vaccine vial - the same label your vet would put into her file. If the soso breeder didn't know they should do that, have doubts. Assume your puppy is not vaccinated, as improper handling or administration of vaccines makes them useless.

If they took the puppies to the vet, the vet would have made out a little health records pamphlet for the breeder to send along with each puppy.

Puppies of tiny breeds are delicate, you should definitely not be giving over-the-counter medication or bribing her to eat with fancy foods. She has not had even one vet exam, and she will need three or more just to cover her shots. Even if the soso breeder did give one set of vaccines, she is not protected from serious illness like distemper and parvo until after all boosters are complete.

Stick to her regular food only. You can also get a supplement from the pet store that will protect her from hypoglycemia if she is off her food, use it until your vet is able to see her. The sneezing and mucus may or may not be significant, hopefully she'll sneeze at the vet's office so they can hear it, and of course they can do a fecal exam easily to see if there's anything to worry about there.

That bloated belly is a concern. Some puppies get a big round belly following a big meal, but it sounds like yours isn't that. If there is any pain or discomfort get to the emergency vet immediately!