Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old May 27th, 2013, 10:43 AM

Peta

Has anyone ever heard of this organization, and is it one that uses the money given wisely? I got some very graphic pictures, and request for a donation, and was just wondering if its a good place to put on my "Give to" list.
Old May 27th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Ugh Peta, who thinks animals such as cats and dogs are better off dead than being enslaved as our pets. They kill more than they save!! You're better off sending money to a local rescue!!
Old May 27th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Here's their wikipedia page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_...ent_of_Animals
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 27th, 2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post
Ugh Peta, who thinks animals such as cats and dogs are better off dead than being enslaved as our pets. They kill more than they save!! You're better off sending money to a local rescue!!
Yikes! I just read their euthanasia ratio on the link Marko posted, I had no idea! - I have never supported them, and after reading this, I definitely never will!

PETA's operation of animal shelters has drawn criticism. In 2008, the Center for Consumer Freedom formally petitioned Virginia's Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, requesting official reclassification of PETA as a slaughterhouse. The CCF claimed in a press release that "(a)n official report filed by PETA itself shows that the animal rights group put to death nearly every dog, cat, and other pet it took in for adoption in 2006."[66] A spokesperson for the Virginia Department of Agriculture responded that "PETA will basically take anything that comes through the door, and other shelters won't do that," and that it had considered changing PETA's status from "shelter" to "euthanasia clinic."[67]

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old May 27th, 2013, 11:53 AM

I don't get the euthanasia thing...so I googled it.

GRAPHIC LINK BELOW

Why We Euthanize
http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/a...Euthanize.aspx
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 27th, 2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I don't get the euthanasia thing...so I googled it.

GRAPHIC LINK BELOW

Why We Euthanize
http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/a...Euthanize.aspx
I've been googling it too lol... I found some sites that talk about how they also kill many animals that are adoptable who knows... but I do feel that 90%+ euthanasia rate seems high, or at least I find it suspicious

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old May 27th, 2013, 03:00 PM

I too find it suspicious.
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 27th, 2013, 06:19 PM

Some of their work sounds good, and some doesn't. An 85% euthanasia rate sounds like their getting rid of more than just suffering animals, but then you read of how they try to help stop experiments in animals, etc. The pictures they sent me were of cats being experimented on , horribly, which definately makes you want to send. I didn't realize they also took animals in, I thought it was just an organization that reaches out to stop cruelty.
Old May 28th, 2013, 08:33 AM

I wonder - I've never done this before buuuut.

Would members be curious to know what they about from their own mouths?

If so, I could easily ask them if they wanted to do a podcast interview....and if they agreed we could ask them these exact and other very direct questions.

there seems to be some confusion as to what they are really about - because of this I'd view exercise as informational versus promotional.

Good idea? Bad idea?
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 28th, 2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I wonder - I've never done this before buuuut.

Would members be curious to know what they about from their own mouths?

If so, I could easily ask them if they wanted to do a podcast interview....and if they agreed we could ask them these exact and other very direct questions.

there seems to be some confusion as to what they are really about - because of this I'd view exercise as informational versus promotional.

Good idea? Bad idea?
I think it would be a great idea... though, I would doubt they would be 100% honest, but that could just be my PR brain working I guess it would be up to individuals to decide what to believe and what to question, but yes I like the idea Marko. Among all your googling yesterday did you saw a site called Peta kills animals? Maybe you could have them on the interview too, that would make an interesting discussion

Old May 28th, 2013, 12:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'd like to see both sides come to the table, too. (Also a disclaimer that publishing a podcast does not imply support for either side by pets.ca... )

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 28th, 2013, 12:48 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Maybe while you're doing that you can ask them why they felt it necessary to send someone in undercover to Caboodle Ranch which led to the ranch being shut down and most of the cats under their care (and vet care) being killed. Between PETA, who last year had a 97% kill rate btw, and the local SPCA where Craig had his ranch they completely destroyed the man. He has since been vindicated. It is despicable when you have your neighbours going around on ATVs killing every cat they can. And they weren't punished for it. Ask them also why they felt it necessary to destroy everything the man and his friends built. They systematically went through his property smashing every cat house, tearing down whatever they could. They had already done the damage by sending in their undercover person. Why did they have to destroy his life too? I am not saying he was completely free of fault. He had way too many cats for the people he had helping him. But Peta did not have to do what they did with the express purpose of destroying him.

Check out also their founder's interviews from years back. Ingrid Newkirk is her name. She says when she was an officer with animal control she would go in early on kill days so she could start the killing. That and many other things will sicken you. Read the stories where they will tell of a Peta member taking a young mother cat and her newborns from a vets office so they could find them homes. The only home they found was a trash bin after the member took them to their vehicle and killed them. It's been well documented.

If you really want to do an interview with both sides try to get Nathan Winograd on that podcast. He is the author of - Redemption - and other books on no kill. Maybe then Peta will actually answer some questions. They have been busy telling everyone that will listen that he has no idea what he's talking about even though it has been proven that no kill is working.

Sorry to go off on a rant but it's what I'm good at. I followed Caboodle Ranch from it's inception and have read far too much about PETA and their 'kindnesses to animals" to believe anything they say.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 28th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Oh 14+, that sounds like typical peta crap. I checked out his website, too sad! If people sent half the money they send to peta to real rescues we could solve alot of problems!
Old May 28th, 2013, 07:36 PM

When it says that PETA will basically take in anything that comes in the door and other shelters won't do that, does that mean that they take them because the animal will be euthanized and they don't have to worry about space like the other shelters? (Sorry for being so dumb, didn't know how to take that statement)
Old May 29th, 2013, 08:46 AM

I think I'm going to try and get an interview.

I am not a journalist though so i won't be interviewing people that hate PETA. I'm just out to get a clearer idea of what they are all about.

I WILL 100% ask pointed questions though and I'm not afraid to ask any question including questions about kill rates.

Those people that have already formed an opinion on Peta will surely not believe anything they say. Those people that just want to get a little more info on Peta can make up their own minds after the interview (if they grant me one).

Thx!
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 30th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Kitty pimp

Peta does the jobs no one else has the guts to. The believe all animals should live and die with respect and dignity the teason they have such a high kill rate is that hey will accepot any animal inlike the agencies around here that wont accept any
Old May 31st, 2013, 07:57 AM
Senior Contributor

You should research any organization before you give them money. Some very big, very well known human charities have been exposed for keeping most of donations for their so called corporate use and little of it goes the starving children or medical research or whatever.

PETA is a very controversial organization. Like most they have some ideas you will agree with and some you won't. In some cases where they have been accused of wrong doing it's very hard to tell if it was really them or bad people using their name. Just like some horrible stories of religious strife in the news these days.

You can easily to their website for their views. It's harder to dig into how they use their money unless you can find some journalistic investigation.
Old June 4th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
Peta does the jobs no one else has the guts to. The believe all animals should live and die with respect and dignity the teason they have such a high kill rate is that hey will accepot any animal inlike the agencies around here that wont accept any
You really need to look into this. PETA employees went to shelters to collect adoptable puppies and kittens with a verbal promise to the shelter workers that they would find adoptable homes for these babies. Most of them never made it out of the parking lot alive.

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/trial/

When Michael Vick was tried and a judge was tasked with deciding on the fate of the dogs collected from his property, PETA petitioned the judge to have every dog euthanized. Fortunately, for the dogs, the judge made a very different decision.

Try googling some different animal welfare topics with PETA. I think that you might find that their actions speak louder than their words.

As for where their money goes -they have a very large team of expensive lawyers and Ingrid certainly isn't preaching her message for free. It costs a lot of money to lobby Congress for "animal welfare" laws. It is much cheaper to euthanize a puppy/kitten in the back of a van than it is to hold on to it until a home can be found.
Old June 9th, 2013, 03:28 PM

I'd suggest donating to your local shelter/rescue instead. They'd make much better use of the money
Old June 9th, 2013, 07:20 PM

I agree, our shelter is a no kill, and they can use all the help they can get. I thought it was such a waste this week, one organization sent me a dollar bill in the mail, urging me to send money for the animals. Instead of sending it to me, take that dollar and buy some food for a starving animal. Seems like such a waste to send out money.
Old June 10th, 2013, 08:57 AM

Sorry for the delay on this - I have just recently put in a request for an interview. We'll see - Thx!
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 12th, 2013, 09:04 AM

I did get a response to my request for an interview which has been passed up the chain for further consideration....and I've been put on their mailing list.
I'll keep you posted. Thx.
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 4th, 2013, 05:33 AM

Update: Peta did pass my request for an interview up the chain a few weeks ago. But after 2 requests for feedback from that request......the only thing they have done is put me on their mailing list without my permission. Not cool. Not cool at all actually.

I'm no celebrity, but i do have some street cred and this is the first time I have simply been ignored when I have requested an interview. (saying NO, is perfectly legitimate, ignoring requests isn't) Not cool again.

So although i wanted to basically give Peta a platform to air what they do and talk about what they do...my biggest impression thus far is that they are a fairly rude organization that collects your email address and puts you on their mailing list without your permission. (I was able to unsubscribe to those emails...but I never subscribed in the first place).

I don't expect any further contact from Peta - but if it comes I'll post it here in this thread. Thx!
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 4th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Now why doesn't this surprise me Marko?? I think this says as much or more than an interview may.
Old July 4th, 2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Now why doesn't this surprise me Marko?? I think this says as much or more than an interview may.
Yup I was thinking the same thing

Old July 4th, 2013, 07:06 PM

Silence can be golden, but in their case it isn't. They would have been better off answering questions and defending their selves instead of ignoring you.
Old July 4th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindapalm View Post
I agree, our shelter is a no kill, and they can use all the help they can get. I thought it was such a waste this week, one organization sent me a dollar bill in the mail, urging me to send money for the animals. Instead of sending it to me, take that dollar and buy some food for a starving animal. Seems like such a waste to send out money.
And the stamp cost money too , that money had could brought a can of food for a homeless cat or dog. I would had called the shelter and tell them how I felt.