Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 25th, 2002, 08:36 PM

Help! dog to young to be pregnant?

my jack russell terrier is going to be one year old dec 11, i think she may have gotten bred during her first heat. help what should i do, if she is pregnant is it dangerous for her to carry the puppies, i have always heard you should not let a dog get pregnant the first time they come into heat.
Old October 25th, 2002, 08:49 PM
Lab Loverr

A freind of mine is having a similar problem. 24 days ago was her first heat and a male jumped ontop of her female... was her first heat!

Anyway theres really nothign you can do about it. There is the mroning after pill but it is dangerous and can mess up their development where the dog is so young. It isnt good for her to be pregnant but it would do more damage to her to abort the pups if she is pregnant.

Keep an eye out.. check with your vet.. i believe at 6 weeks the vet will be able to tell you if she is pregnany or not.

Good luck!! I hope she isnt!!

I believe it is 62 days to term. So either way youll know in 2 months..for sure!
Soon to be proud mum of Gilgamesh. (Olde English Bulldogge)

*Lab Lover [COLOR=red]<3[/COLOR]
Old October 26th, 2002, 01:38 AM

If you can get your dog to the vet within 3 or 4 days of the mating you can have her spayed. You would need to tell the vet that she may be pregnant but this is an operation that is performed regularly with accidental matings. There is no pill to give the dog to make her abort if she is pregnant, it takes vet intervention. Good luck.
Old October 26th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Lab Loverr

Actually Anne there is a PILL it is called the DAY AFTER Pill and it IS available. We have it here in canada. It kills the sperm before it can impregnant her. SO it doesnt actually "abort" pregnancy but it kills the sperm before they have a chance.

Old October 26th, 2002, 07:37 PM

That pill is not available here in Australia to my knowledge. I have never heard of it for dogs but know it's available for humans. How long after the mating would the pill be effective. Do you have any info on it. My dog is spayed so no problems there but it's good to know and sounds like a good thing when there is an accidental mating.
Old October 26th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Lab Loverr

I dont know much about it but my friend consulted the vet about it and where their dog is not even a year old it would do more damage to use the pill then the damage that having the litter so young will do. I think you have to get it like 1-3 days after they mated. Don't quote me though. I believe it is a fairly new product here.

"... a pregnant bitch can still be speyed with no problem once the heat is finished. Finally, there is the equivalent of the "morning after" pill for dogs to prevent pregnancy after mating. However, the fact that it significantly extends the heat period and may potentially have side effects - increasing the chance of uterine infections, for instance - make this a much less desirable option."

Source- [http://www.rspcanz.org.nz/pet_care/vets/vet16.html]

Old October 30th, 2002, 06:02 AM

Choc LL. I remember now that many years ago I had a female Rott who escaped ( she jumped from my sons car - out of the window) she was in season and about 12 months old. Went missing for two days whilst we had a search party out for her. When we found her I took her to the vet and he gave her an injection in case she had mated whilst missing. All went well there. No pregnancy was discovered. Whether or not she had mated we are not sure.
There is also a birth control pill but I wouldn't advise it. My GSD female also many years ago was on the pill but developed pyometra and needed emergency surgery. She recovered well also. I think this all has a lot in favour of desexing our dogs to prevent unwanted litters. The shelters are full of them.
Old November 23rd, 2002, 07:11 PM
The Pit Bull Lady

wow

With more then 5 million pets being killed worldwide every year because people don't want them anymore, it really saddens me that more people don't spay or neuture their pets.

If you are worried about your dog getting a little sick with the morning after pill, you should worry more that 2 of those puppies born out of a litter of 10 will probably be euthanized in a shelter.

Please get your dog spayed.