Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 24th, 2011, 12:32 PM

Missed heat cycle,

Hello everyone, I have a few questions but 1 that I have no real answer for is my 3GS old boxer bitch has not come on heat since may 2010 is was regular every 6 to 8 months but we had a new dog George in June 2010 and since them she hasn't had a heat, she's seems fine they get on so so well are the best of friends and spend all day together so I would of noticed if she had had a silent heat, it's just strange, George has shown no interest in her so I assume that means she hasn't had a cycle since she arrive... X
Old May 24th, 2011, 01:20 PM

Some females will have a regular cycle X number of days no matter what, and others are affected by the presence of other intact dogs, both male and female. Lean, athletic dogs and those with a family history of long heat intervals are the most likely candidates. You may want to mention it to the breeder you got your female from and see if any relatives have been the same. It is, however, worthy of discussion with your vet to make sure there is not a physical cause.
Old May 24th, 2011, 01:31 PM

She is lean it took me ages to get her to put weight on, but she seems in tip top condition at the moment, x got vet app thus foe blood tests just to rule out hormone imbalance, xx
Old May 24th, 2011, 02:11 PM

If all the tests and exams come back showing she is healthy, then it is not something to worry about. Although rare, there are perfectly healthy dogs whose first heat may be delayed to the age of 4 years, and those with a heat interval up to 24 months. You do need the testing to be sure, though. Unbred heats are not beneficial to a dog (except the first one at puberty if the dog is later to be bred), and they increase a dog's chance of developing problems later in life such as pyometra and mammary cancer.