Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Closed Thread

Old September 9th, 2009, 04:31 PM

Wow Helen!, Miki is just beautiful! I just love anything that looks like a Husky lol. I also like them because of their friendliness, I really do not need a dog for protection, companionship is good enough.

Yes, at just over 1 year old he definately still has some serious running left in him, mine didnt stop running like a wildman until 3 - 4 I think. Great pictures, loved them all in your profile, we are lucky to have these dogs as buddies.
Old September 19th, 2009, 11:22 PM

Hi all! We just picked-up our Black lab/husky mix today. She's only about 8 weeks old. We've named her Molly. She looks like a black lab, except for her fur is more textured and she has some white on her chest and back paws. She also has nice blue eyes. She seems to be quite laid-back, loves to cuddle. She's teething though, so she tries to chew everything from socks to teddy bears

Molly was kinda like a rescue, i guess. She was taken from her mom to early, and the people who took her realized after a week or so that a puppy didn't fit their lifestyle.... so they gave her (yesterday) to the couple we got her from. They were really nice, but their adult chocolate lab didn't like Molly, so we were lucky enough to be able to bring her home.
Old September 20th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I have heard of labs being hyper, high strung & terrible chewers. So I am wondering how much of this is true ??
Labs have been the most popular breed in N. America for about 17 years now. Whenever a breed gets popular disreputable BYB start to produce them and health and temperament go down the drain along with the standard. BE careful where you get a Lab, if you get one.

Not all Labs are hyper and high strung. Labs conforming most to the breed standard are properly called bench or show Labs, and improperly, British Labs. This type is likely to be a bit more calm than the other type. The other type are properly called field labs and improperly American. They tend not to look the same, being often much leaner, with long snipey noses and only a single coat. The field type can tend to be very hyper, being bred as they often are, to be high performance athletes in hunt and field trial events. There are exceptions to every generalization and a reputable breeder who does all the health clearances should be able to steer you towards the puppy who is calm and biddable whether it is a field or bench type.

Bench or field, Labs were bred to retrieve and both types are likely to be chewers as puppies, after all, they are bred to use their mouths. Lab puppies tend to chew on people as well, when they are little and learning. Again, there are always exceptions but I wouldn't count on a Lab puppy not chewing, even though neither of mine did. Much. Well not too much.

Labs are wonderful dogs but they are not for everyone. They shed, they need a lot of exercise, they tend to be emotionally immature longer than some breeds, ie, stay puppies longer, even though they have gotten big. They are highly receptive to training else we would not trust our blind to them.

I believe a large part of making a happy life with your puppy or dog is being prepared and understanding what you are getting into. Search out some websites dedicated to just the two breeds you are considering and also read some books on how to bring up a puppy. I used Brian Kilcommons and Sara Wilson's book, "Good Owners, Great Dogs", it was practically my bible.

Good luck with your new family member, whatever you decide.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Labs have been the most popular breed in N. America for about 17 years now. Whenever a breed gets popular disreputable BYB start to produce them and health and temperament go down the drain along with the standard. BE careful where you get a Lab, if you get one.

Not all Labs are hyper and high strung. Labs conforming most to the breed standard are properly called bench or show Labs, and improperly, British Labs. This type is likely to be a bit more calm than the other type. The other type are properly called field labs and improperly American. They tend not to look the same, being often much leaner, with long snipey noses and only a single coat. The field type can tend to be very hyper, being bred as they often are, to be high performance athletes in hunt and field trial events. There are exceptions to every generalization and a reputable breeder who does all the health clearances should be able to steer you towards the puppy who is calm and biddable whether it is a field or bench type.

Bench or field, Labs were bred to retrieve and both types are likely to be chewers as puppies, after all, they are bred to use their mouths. Lab puppies tend to chew on people as well, when they are little and learning. Again, there are always exceptions but I wouldn't count on a Lab puppy not chewing, even though neither of mine did. Much. Well not too much.

Labs are wonderful dogs but they are not for everyone. They shed, they need a lot of exercise, they tend to be emotionally immature longer than some breeds, ie, stay puppies longer, even though they have gotten big. They are highly receptive to training else we would not trust our blind to them.

I believe a large part of making a happy life with your puppy or dog is being prepared and understanding what you are getting into. Search out some websites dedicated to just the two breeds you are considering and also read some books on how to bring up a puppy. I used Brian Kilcommons and Sara Wilson's book, "Good Owners, Great Dogs", it was practically my bible.

Good luck with your new family member, whatever you decide.
Wow, that's just a perfect, honest, well rounded, extremely true reply about a Lab I've seen.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:20 AM

"they tend to be emotionally immature longer than some breeds, ie, stay puppies longer, even though they have gotten big"

Now I know where my Husky/Lab gets that from haha! I think that's a positive actually!
Old September 26th, 2009, 08:08 AM

We have a Husky / Lab mix. Miah is 18 months and has a great personality and disposition. Super smart. She has one blue eye and one half blue & half brown.
Old November 17th, 2009, 01:08 AM

Hi everyone, new here, just joined tonight. I was searching for help with a rescue pup I have had for about two months, she is a lab/husky mix, and I am really needing help! Her name is Molly. Reading this thread has helped me so much. I guess I should start by telling her story, how she came to live with me.

I am single and retired, and I bought a place out in the country 11 years ago. My front yard dog and also my back yard dog were both strays that wandered up years ago. Sam wandered up about a year after I moved here, and adopted the front yard as his turf, so that's his territory. Smiley had also wandered up shortly after I moved in, and she can be a bit more aggressive with SOME people, so I put her in the big fenced in back yard which has been her territory until she passed away this summer from cancer. She was probably 12 or older as she was grown when she came up. After I lost her I couldnt get used to the back yard being empty, plus my Golden Lab Emmy was just lost and her heart was broken, she and Smiley were best friends and playmates. I finally decided that I needed to go ahead and get another dog for my back yard and for company for Emmy when she is outside, and wanted a pup so I could train her. I started watching the ads for a pup, it had to be free because I am on very limited retirement. I have had dogs all my life so I know quite a bit about them, and have always had great luck picking pups.

I am almost completely deaf so my kids got my golden lab Emmy for me when she was 4 months old, she will be 4 in January. They gave her to me to be my ears at night while I slept, and over time she has become my best friend and house companion. She is full blood Lab, my kids got her from friends who breed labs, so she was very easy to train. We did have some chewing issues but it wasnt hard to teach her that was a no no, and that her toys were for that. She was potty trained within the first week! She mostly trained herself, I was using puppy pads when she couldnt go outside such as during the night, or when I wasn't home. She quickly decided she didnt want to do that inside, and trained herself to hold it until she could go out. We did have our issues while she was young, no doubt about that, but now she is absolutely the most wonderful, gentle, loving, loyal, intelligent dog I have ever owned, ever! I adore my Emmy. I always call her My Emmy, my ears She responds to my commands the first time, whatever I tell her, such as come, stay, sit, no, hugs (she actually gives hugs!). I never have to scold her anymore, thank God, because now Im not sure I could LOL. When I tell her it's night night time and turn out the lights she knows it's bedtime, and settles down on her pallet. And she and my grandson (he's 10) have been best friends since I got her. She sleeps at the foot of his bed when he spends the night.

Well, now on to my little Molly, the lab/husky mix, our newest addition. I saw an ad in the paper for lab/husky pups, so me and my grandson went to look at them since I was familiar with labs already and loved their nature, and knew that huskies were also very intelligent. The pups were adorable and I told my grandson to pick a female, whichever one he liked the best. We watched them for a while, and both decided on a cute little thing playing with all the other pups, and with toys, and she was very social with us. The lady told us that she had found 7 pups along the side of the road, and brought them home, then ran the ad. She had 5 pups left the day we went. 3 were absolute lab, which is how my Molly looks. 2 were absolute husky, just like a picture out of a book. That's why she said lab/husky, it was very obvious. She guessed at their age as being between 6-8 weeks old, which I agree with. Molly is very affectionate, totally hyper of course (much more so then even Emmy was as a pup), but her one bad trait is that she absolutely does not listen to me. She is finally responding to come, and is half way minding me when I say No No IF she feels like it. I got her to be my back yard dog so she spends the day outside, and most of the night now. In the beginning she was so young, a brand new baby, and we had a whole week of horrible stormy weather just when I got her, so I let her stay in my washroom until the weather settled down, then started breaking her into living outside. She has a great dog house, a small play pool for water (which she prefers to play in haha), and a lot of toys including her first teddybear which I gave her the first night she came home (which she sleeps with at night still). It is SO precious, she will take her bear in her mouth when she wakes up in the morning to go potty!

Anyway, reading the info here on this thread has helped me to understand a lot about the husky part of Molly. I already knew that I had to establish being the Alpha, but Molly is making that very very difficult. She is a nipper, and when she nips me I pop her snout and say No, then she just nips me again! I go outside to sit with her and Emmy several times a day, we play with their toys, they run and play tag and chase, etc. I make a point of spending a lot of time with both of them every day, and also with just one or the other seperately. I give each of them their own time each day, Emmy inside and Molly outside. When it's just me and Molly outside, when I start to go up the stairs to the back door to come inside she grabs my clothes and hangs on to me, starts dragging me back! I tried with just No No but that got me nowhere, so I have to pop her snout and say No! She just does it again, over and over. It has become a wrestling match just trying to get up the steps and come in after spending time outside with her, and I am at my wits end as to how to end this. I think I understand WHY she does it..she doesnt want me to go. But it must stop, of course. I am the one who makes the decisions, and I am really trying to get this across to her, but it is a real challenge! I have had her for 2 months, she is only approximately 4 to 4 1/2 months old so she is very young yet but I must get it across to her that I am the Alpha and I am beginning to worry that she is refusing to accept that, which goes along with what I have read here in this thread. So, what are some of your suggestions as to how I need to handle this situation, to get my point across to her? I really need some advice here for mine AND Molly's sake!
I apologize for such a long post but I thought it would help to understand the entire situation if I explained everything.
Old November 17th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Doggie Wench

I don't even know where to begin.

In all honestly HeartStringsss, reading your post pulls at my heartstrings...for poor Molly. You mean to say that you leave such a young puppy outdoors 24 hours a day? I'm not sure I understand...you want a backyard dog ? What ever for? Dogs are pack animals, of course she wants to be with you. And you pop her on the snout because she's behaving like any normal puppy in her situation would? By doing that, you're not teaching her that you're alpha, you're teaching her that you can't be trusted. How sad for Molly.
Old November 17th, 2009, 02:26 AM
-

I agree with luckypenny ....there is no way a puppy that young should be staying outside. :sad:

I have a siberian husky (our third one) that will be 5 in Jan/10 and I never allow him to stay outside all night long ...and, yes, my backyard is fenced. He sleeps in the bedroom with me and quite often on the bed as well. I also have a 4 yr old yellow lab that is constantly by either my or my hubby's side most of the day and night and he sleeps on the bed with me as well. But they both definitely know that I am the alpha in the house.

Huskies hate being alone and they need companionship and can be destructive if they do not get it. I seriously hope you reconsider and bring Molly in the house.
Old November 17th, 2009, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartStringsss View Post
She is a nipper, and when she nips me I pop her snout and say No, then she just nips me again!
Doesn't that tell you something? Physical violence against anyone is not going to get you the response you want - do you smack your grandson when he does something you don't like?

If somebody smacked me in the face I would bite them too.

Quote:
When it's just me and Molly outside, when I start to go up the stairs to the back door to come inside she grabs my clothes and hangs on to me, starts dragging me back! I tried with just No No but that got me nowhere, so I have to pop her snout and say No! She just does it again, over and over. It has become a wrestling match just trying to get up the steps and come in after spending time outside with her, and I am at my wits end as to how to end this. I think I understand WHY she does it..she doesnt want me to go.
She is reacting to you the same way you act towards her - with physical force you've taught her that. The only thing your actions are going to result in is an aggressive dog that you can't control, who bites because that is what you have taught her to do.

Quote:
But it must stop, of course. I am the one who makes the decisions, and I am really trying to get this across to her, but it is a real challenge! I have had her for 2 months, she is only approximately 4 to 4 1/2 months old so she is very young yet but I must get it across to her that I am the Alpha and I am beginning to worry that she is refusing to accept that, which goes along with what I have read here in this thread.
You claim to be an animal lover and yet you made a 7-9 week old baby puppy live alone outside 24/7 with very little contact and now weeks later here you have a 4 month old baby puppy still living outside 24/7 alone with very little contact well it's no wonder she won't listen to you and reacts "negatively", plus you have an older dog living outside 24/7 alone with very little contact. What is the point of having a dog if it lives outside alone. All dogs and Sibes especially are pack oriented they need consistant positive loving contact.

Would you have left your grandson outside alone 24/7 at 7-9 weeks?

Quote:
So, what are some of your suggestions as to how I need to handle this situation, to get my point across to her? I really need some advice here for mine AND Molly's sake!
My suggestion would be to surrender Molly to the Humane Society or SPCA where she can be adopted by a loving person and welcomed into their home and lives.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:54 AM

WOW...you people have misunderstood me regarding some things, I probably didnt explain myself well enough, it was just getting to be such a long post that I was trying to cut down on words. First of all, where I said she stays outside "most of the night now" it is because I am up most of the night because of health issues, and she goes outside WITH Emmy off and on for a big part of the night hours, and I go out with them a lot too, just like in the daytime hours. It's still pretty nice weather here. They both LOVE that. They cuddle, play chase, toss toys, etc. Then she COMES BACK IN TO SLEEP ON HER PALLET when I am finally able to go to bed. She isnt living outside yet, just spending time out there, both day AND night, since I am up anyway I just stay with the pattern we use during the daytime hours.

Where I said "I let her stay in my washroom until the weather settled down" what I meant was I had kept her in the house all day and night during her first week with us except for fast potty runs in the rain. We were all basically housebound because of the weather. "Until the weather settled down" simply meant she is outside more now. She has not been tossed outside by herself permanently. She is 4 1/2 months old, outside time is good for her I thought. Or am I mistaken on that part? Dont all dogs love to be outside some? I even read that huskies love the outdoors. Emmy goes to the door a lot to go out back, she loves it. I have just been trying to adjust Molly to the same pattern. However, at some point she will live outside except for bad weather..storms, snow, etc. She has a wonderful dog house with a thick fluffy blanket inside, her play pool, a huge water bowl, a LOT of toys outside and inside. She doesnt WANT for anything, not even companionship. Emmy and I provide her with plenty of that. Not love either, she gets a lot of it. Do none of you own outside dogs? If you do, when/how did you begin breaking them in to the outdoors? Does every dog that all of you own live inside full time? I doubt that.

QUOTE: "you made a 7-9 week old baby puppy live alone outside 24/7 with very little contact and now weeks later here you have a 4 month old baby puppy still living outside 24/7 alone with very little contact" Im not sure where you got this from my post. I said I let her stay in my washroom..????? Did you not read where I said I spend a lot of time outside with her and Emmy? Where did you get "very little contact" out of that?
To explain, although Im not sure why I am bothering, my washroom is a half walled portion off my kitchen. When she is inside with us she has the run of the house along with Emmy until I finally am ready to go to bed, then I put her in my washroom and put up a baby gate to keep her from roaming the house and chewing computer wires, electrical cords, furniture, etc. while I am in bed which we all know puppies will do. There is no door, she can see me while I sleep, she and Emmy visit through the gate, I often hear them playing after I have gone to bed. Emmy often lays there with her to sleep. I did not get her just to toss her aside. At night before I put up the gate I usually sit with her on her pallet and hold her on my lap, we play for a bit, she gets a hug and an I love you just like Emmy does, and I make sure her teddybear is on her pallet for her, check her water, before I turn out the lights. And my house is never totally dark, I have numerous night lights going during the nighttime hours. When I said how cute it is that she carries her bear in her mouth when she goes potty first thing in the morning I meant WHEN SHE GOES OUTSIDE AFTER SLEEPING IN THE HOUSE ALL NIGHT. She carries it down the steps to the backyard after we get up, when she goes out to potty first thing in the morning.

Where I said I had to pop her on the snout...I meant using a couple of fingers to "pop" her little nose a bit to get her attention, not smacking her across the room for cripes sake. I have NEVER been physical with my dogs EVER. Why do you think I came here asking for help and advice? Because I was so upset having to do something like pop her nose to get her attention. I have never had a pup that required something like that before. I was hoping someone would be kind enough to give me some other suggestions so I could stop doing that.

I cannot believe I am even having to explain this stuff...I am flabbergasted. I love this little dog and am by no means mean to her in any way. In fact, my friends and family tease me about how I treat my dogs, they say I treat them like they were my kids. Well, they are my kids now. I love them and I make sure they know it, including Molly. She is loved and well cared for regardless of how you all have twisted my words around.

I feel silly. I was excited to come back to this forum this morning to see what advice someone may have left for me since you have experience with huskies. What a surprise! You guys obviously dont want anyone new interrupting your little status quo. Hey, no problem, I found several pet sites while looking for advice, surely at least one of them wont mind a newbie trying to join in.
I wont be bothering you again. Have a blessed day.
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Senior Contributor

:sad:

This makes me sad.

Sorry you feel judged and attacked HeartStrings. I hope you're able to find the information you're looking for.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Heartstringss, so sad that you received a welcome as this. We have some very strong people with strong opinions here and yes sometimes they take what someone has written and instead of trying to help they "jump on the bandwagon". Please don't get the wrong impression, those that answered you are kind and knowledgeable people.

Now, after saying that there are some things that I have learned here that may help you out.

1) use umbilical training for Molly, her leash is attached to you all the time, she goes where you go
2) my lab was nippy until almost a year old, one of the things that I would do was to say no and turn my back on her, when you "pop" her nose that is like giving her an ok to nip, you have responded with a touch
3) I think that maybe she may need more exercise then what she is getting, take her for walks, while on walks teach her, make her sit at corners, heel

Bailey do you think you can take over here and help Heartstrings out a bit.

Pbp
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Doggie Wench

HeartStringsss, your second post is not remotely close to your first. I was just as shocked reading the first one as you were in finding the replies.

The more time Molly spends with you and your other dogs (normal everyday activities, not just play and cuddle time), the quicker she will learn puppy manners. Nipping is perfectly normal for a 4 1/2 month old teething puppy. Simply yelp or say "uhuh" and offer/engage her with a chew toy instead. Using your hands on her face to correct her will only teach her negative associations. You can bet some dogs will bite back if they feel threatened.

I can't help you with transitioning Molly to being an "outside dog." We don't have outside dogs, even though one of ours is a Spitz breed cross and they all love spending time in the yard. Sure, we spend lots of time outdoors, even most of the day when the weather is nice. But they all sleep indoors with their family. I simply don't see a point to having an outside dog.
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Unfortunatley I doubt the OP will be back, but in case they return...

I agree with Patti on the umbillical leash training. Sounds like your puppy just needs a bit more structure and boundaries, especially if she gets to go outside a majority of the time. Dogs love being outside, but similiar to dog parks, it offers no structure.

Is she house-trained/crate-trained?

Remember that puppies are always learning. If we discipline them with our hand or a quick snap with our fingers, it can sometimes turn into a game - either out of frustration because they don't know what they're doing wrong - or because they are learning that when they nip us - we react, regardless of whether it is negative attention.

When she gets nippy, what are you doing? Paying attention to another dog? Your grandson? Walking? Sitting? Playing with her?

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbpatti View Post
We have some very strong people with strong opinions here and yes sometimes they take what someone has written and instead of trying to help they "jump on the bandwagon".
Instead of trying to help, they jump on the bandwagon? Really? Would you like to take a shot replying to her first post? Cuz that's the only one I saw last night. Those who replied did offer help, help for her dog based on what was written.

Last edited by luckypenny; November 17th, 2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Senior Contributor

I think the important thing to remember is that not everyone thinks that dogs should live inside. This doesn't mean to say that the OP warrants such harsh replies that she recieved.

Maybe we should all just re-read our comments before we hit REPLY to ensure that we're not going to needlessly offend anyone.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Doggie Wench

Harsh replies? I only see honest answers. And I certainly don't need to be told how to write a reply.

This isn't a popularity contest. The op stated her story and questions, and based on that, she was given info.
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Harsh replies? I only see honest answers. And I certainly don't need to be told how to write a reply.

This isn't a popularity contest. The op stated her story and questions, and based on that, she was given info.
All that is being said is that in this case, there may be a better way to give that information.

But seeing as how this OP probably won't return, don't worry about it.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old November 17th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Doggie Wench

Bailey, how about not taking away from her post by judging other members' responses. You see a better way to reply to her first post? Go for it. No need to tell anyone else what to do.

Obviously I have nothing to offer here. Perhaps more capable hands can take over.
Old November 17th, 2009, 01:14 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
All that is being said is that in this case, there may be a better way to give that information.

But seeing as how this OP probably won't return, don't worry about it.
Oh please, Lp and anyone else who posted lastnight didnt say anything wrong. The OP gave information to which they responded to. To come back the next day and say how badly they were treated by the members here. If you don't want a response then make sure you give ALL of the information. If you say you leave your dog outside all the time then yup gonna get a negative response no matter what you say the next day.

And to the OP,, nope none of my dogs, friends dogs, families dogs live outside. If i wanted an animal to live outside i'd buy a horse or a cow.
Old November 17th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I personally would never leave my dogs outside. But that doesn't change the fact that many people think it's quite normal, especially those that live on acerages (my husband before he met me being one of them).

There are simply better ways to get our points across and educating them, instead of referring to their dogs as 'poor' and suggesting they give their animal to the SPCA.

It just makes me sad to see this happen time and time again to new members. This is such a wonderful place with a wealth of information and knowledgable members....funny how I'm not feeling too interested in sticking around either.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old November 17th, 2009, 01:54 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

well unfortunately if you choose to leave the forum because others disagree with you or speak differantly that is your choice.

As for how others responded. The OP told a story,then asked for advice..In some members minds the animal is " poor" or whatever. The person was also given suggestions-don't bop the dog on the nose, let the dog in the house etc..if the animal is going to live outside 24 hours aday, then imho it is better off at the spca. The fact the Op returned today and corrected the information from lastnight doesn't change the impression members had.

So as it stands now, don't bop your dog on the nose, umbillical train.. doesn't matter if the puppy wants to be outside all the time, some dogs wanna chase cars isn't good for them. Become the alpha, etc.
Old November 17th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Honestly Aslan, I thought you knew me better than that. I am not easily offended when people disagree with me.

Members here are going to write what they want to write, and obviously suggestions to get our points across in a less rugged manner to new members are clearly taken offensively and not up for consideration.

Why does this not shock me. :sad:

I've already discussed with the appropriate people about deleting my account - and I sincerely wish you all the best in the future.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old November 17th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Geek Club CEO

I think it's pretty safe to say that a lot of new, inexperienced and perhaps misinformed/undereducated pet owners come here and are taken aback by the tone of some replies. I think some peoples' honest desire to help these OPs and their pets gets lost in implied/stated opinions that they are a "bad" pet owner.

I don't know about you guys, but I would get my hackles up and be defensive too, if someone implied that about me (as some have before). Luckily for me, I've been here long enough that I understand where many members are coming from and I don't take it personally. New posters don't have that luxury, and are understandably turned off.

It IS possible to talk to people/educate them on touchy subjects without being harsh/rude/accusatory.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)

Last edited by bendyfoot; November 17th, 2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old November 17th, 2009, 02:48 PM
-

bailey i thought i knew you better too, and discussing having your acct. deleted here isn't appropriate in my opinion.

Ok, when i read this thread lastnight i figured i'd leave it alone seeing as calmer minds ie; LP, Rainbow and Growler were going to respond I have never ever seen any of them accused of being mean or bashing a newcomer. Thats usually mine and Frenchy's niche. I was just floored to read today that not only did the OP do a complete 180, but that the other 3 were being called big meanies. Twice that i recall LP has asked for one of you to respond to the OP's ORIGINAL post, not the new one this morning and no one has. It has become point out who didn't respond appropriately instead of answer the OP's question.
Old November 17th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Senior Contributor

No one said anyone was a meanie, and actually I thought Rainbows reply was quite appropriate.

I've said my peace regarding changing the way comments are made and hope this thread can get back on topic for the OP's sake.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old November 17th, 2009, 03:28 PM
-

Quote:
Hi everyone, new here, just joined tonight. I was searching for help with a rescue pup I have had for about two months, she is a lab/husky mix, and I am really needing help! Her name is Molly. Reading this thread has helped me so much. I guess I should start by telling her story, how she came to live with me.

I am single and retired, and I bought a place out in the country 11 years ago. My front yard dog and also my back yard dog were both strays that wandered up years ago. Sam wandered up about a year after I moved here, and adopted the front yard as his turf, so that's his territory. Smiley had also wandered up shortly after I moved in, and she can be a bit more aggressive with SOME people, so I put her in the big fenced in back yard which has been her territory until she passed away this summer from cancer. She was probably 12 or older as she was grown when she came up. After I lost her I couldnt get used to the back yard being empty, plus my Golden Lab Emmy was just lost and her heart was broken, she and Smiley were best friends and playmates. I finally decided that I needed to go ahead and get another dog for my back yard and for company for Emmy when she is outside, and wanted a pup so I could train her. I started watching the ads for a pup, it had to be free because I am on very limited retirement. I have had dogs all my life so I know quite a bit about them, and have always had great luck picking pups.

I am almost completely deaf so my kids got my golden lab Emmy for me when she was 4 months old, she will be 4 in January. They gave her to me to be my ears at night while I slept, and over time she has become my best friend and house companion. She is full blood Lab, my kids got her from friends who breed labs, so she was very easy to train. We did have some chewing issues but it wasnt hard to teach her that was a no no, and that her toys were for that. She was potty trained within the first week! She mostly trained herself, I was using puppy pads when she couldnt go outside such as during the night, or when I wasn't home. She quickly decided she didnt want to do that inside, and trained herself to hold it until she could go out. We did have our issues while she was young, no doubt about that, but now she is absolutely the most wonderful, gentle, loving, loyal, intelligent dog I have ever owned, ever! I adore my Emmy. I always call her My Emmy, my ears She responds to my commands the first time, whatever I tell her, such as come, stay, sit, no, hugs (she actually gives hugs!). I never have to scold her anymore, thank God, because now Im not sure I could LOL. When I tell her it's night night time and turn out the lights she knows it's bedtime, and settles down on her pallet. And she and my grandson (he's 10) have been best friends since I got her. She sleeps at the foot of his bed when he spends the night.

Well, now on to my little Molly, the lab/husky mix, our newest addition. I saw an ad in the paper for lab/husky pups, so me and my grandson went to look at them since I was familiar with labs already and loved their nature, and knew that huskies were also very intelligent. The pups were adorable and I told my grandson to pick a female, whichever one he liked the best. We watched them for a while, and both decided on a cute little thing playing with all the other pups, and with toys, and she was very social with us. The lady told us that she had found 7 pups along the side of the road, and brought them home, then ran the ad. She had 5 pups left the day we went. 3 were absolute lab, which is how my Molly looks. 2 were absolute husky, just like a picture out of a book. That's why she said lab/husky, it was very obvious. She guessed at their age as being between 6-8 weeks old, which I agree with. Molly is very affectionate, totally hyper of course (much more so then even Emmy was as a pup), but her one bad trait is that she absolutely does not listen to me. She is finally responding to come, and is half way minding me when I say No No IF she feels like it. I got her to be my back yard dog so she spends the day outside, and most of the night now. In the beginning she was so young, a brand new baby, and we had a whole week of horrible stormy weather just when I got her, so I let her stay in my washroom until the weather settled down, then started breaking her into living outside. She has a great dog house, a small play pool for water (which she prefers to play in haha), and a lot of toys including her first teddybear which I gave her the first night she came home (which she sleeps with at night still). It is SO precious, she will take her bear in her mouth when she wakes up in the morning to go potty!

Anyway, reading the info here on this thread has helped me to understand a lot about the husky part of Molly. I already knew that I had to establish being the Alpha, but Molly is making that very very difficult. She is a nipper, and when she nips me I pop her snout and say No, then she just nips me again! I go outside to sit with her and Emmy several times a day, we play with their toys, they run and play tag and chase, etc. I make a point of spending a lot of time with both of them every day, and also with just one or the other seperately. I give each of them their own time each day, Emmy inside and Molly outside. When it's just me and Molly outside, when I start to go up the stairs to the back door to come inside she grabs my clothes and hangs on to me, starts dragging me back! I tried with just No No but that got me nowhere, so I have to pop her snout and say No! She just does it again, over and over. It has become a wrestling match just trying to get up the steps and come in after spending time outside with her, and I am at my wits end as to how to end this. I think I understand WHY she does it..she doesnt want me to go. But it must stop, of course. I am the one who makes the decisions, and I am really trying to get this across to her, but it is a real challenge! I have had her for 2 months, she is only approximately 4 to 4 1/2 months old so she is very young yet but I must get it across to her that I am the Alpha and I am beginning to worry that she is refusing to accept that, which goes along with what I have read here in this thread. So, what are some of your suggestions as to how I need to handle this situation, to get my point across to her? I really need some advice here for mine AND Molly's sake!
I apologize for such a long post but I thought it would help to understand the entire situation if I explained everything.
Ok this is the first post from lastnight, respond to it without reading anything else. I give you the final word.
Old November 17th, 2009, 03:30 PM
-

I don't think that the OP will be back Bailey

I never give guidance in training as I am not knowledgeable, but upon reading the OP's original post, I was under the belief that the dogs were outside 24/7, I couldn't read between the lines.....imo it wasn't that clear.
Old November 17th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Please , just give it up. As chris said the OP is not likely to return.