Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 2nd, 2010, 11:52 AM

Are 2 kittens better than one?

Hi Everyone!

Me and my boyfriend have a 8 month old boy kitten who is very playful, laid back and very affectionate. We work during the day and when we are leaving he meows at the door. I feel so bad. I am wondering if he is lonely and if so, should we get him a playmate?
Old June 2nd, 2010, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Animals are as social as we humans are. Infact, 2 is better than one. It is also so much fun to watch the interaction.

They will bond in time. There is a proper way however to ensure that they bond appropriately. It is not a question of getting another and sticking him/her with the other and expecting things to be perfect from the get go. The introduction is gradual, however very effective.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 12:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Oops - forgot to mention: Step #1 - make sure that your baby is sterilized.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 12:20 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Male cats under 18 months of age tend to be very social. Getting another kitty perhaps a bit younger than your current cat would be a great gift to your current kitty.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 2nd, 2010, 01:45 PM
chronically insane.

Yes, 2 is better than 1. Some cats do not like other cats, but that's usually older cats that have just never been around other cats. I would suggest adopting another kitten, probably a boy one, from your local humane society or shelter. Make sure both are neutered as well so they don't try to dominate each other as the mature.

I always recommend people adopt more than one kitten or young cat together. They do so much better!

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old June 2nd, 2010, 02:32 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Yes. Always!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 2nd, 2010, 02:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Yes. Always!!
Who am I to say with 6 cats and fosters...oh yes - take 2 minimum!
Old June 2nd, 2010, 02:47 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Who am I to say with 6 cats and fosters...oh yes - take 2 minimum!
Yeah well, I'm even worse. (I think we are supposed to be the exception though. Not the rule. )

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 2nd, 2010, 02:50 PM
-

This is soooo not the place to ask

but seriously damejennifer , yes 2 is better than one. As long as they get along
Old June 2nd, 2010, 02:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Yeah well, I'm even worse. (I think we are supposed to be the exception though. Not the rule. )
REally?? Then what is wrong with the rest of the population???
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:22 PM

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! They play with each and entertain each other (and us!) Also, they burn off energy with each other. Otherwise, it's us they're stalking, pouncing, wrestling, chasing, etc. etc..... And with how frequently kittens play, we definitely tire more quickly!

Go to the spca or petfinder.com and get another one!! You won't regret it!
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Definitely 2 or more
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes for sure. Taking care of two isn't any harder than taking care of one.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:19 PM
Senior Contributor

In my humble opinion, LOL, 4 is better than 2

LOL

Diane
Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:55 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc123 View Post

LOL

Diane
, cause if one wants to play, there will be at least one other that will play too

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:45 AM

thank you everyone! I have just one more question. there is this cat at the shelter who has been there a long time. he is 4 years old. I really want him but is he to old to bring home to a kitten? I am told any cat he gets put with he gets along great with, old or young.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by damejennifer View Post
thank you everyone! I have just one more question. there is this cat at the shelter who has been there a long time. he is 4 years old. I really want him but is he to old to bring home to a kitten? I am told any cat he gets put with he gets along great with, old or young.
Bless you for adopting an adult cat. A lot of times, they are not even looked at because people just want kittens.

I think as long as you do proper introductions there should not be a problem. It sounds like he's probably got a calm disposition if he'd okay with another adult or young cat.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:59 AM
150% PRO S/N

I second AG's thoughts. Bless you for wanting to adopt an older boy. It sounds like he would have no problems with adapting well to your family. To be on the safe side please do proper introductions. They are essential to maintain a happy cat home.
This site is one of my favourites. It is very interesting reading and you learn tons!

http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management

Thanks again and let us know your decision. We love seeing pictures of happy, content kitties too.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 11:09 AM

We might have a problem with the introduction. We have a one bedroom apt and max our kitty is use to being any room we are in. If we have the new kitty in the bedroom locked away this will cause alot of stress for max. What should i do?
Old June 3rd, 2010, 11:14 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
We might have a problem with the introduction. We have a one bedroom apt and max our kitty is use to being any room we are in. If we have the new kitty in the bedroom locked away this will cause alot of stress for max. What should i do?
How large is your bathroom? Would it work as a short term home? If your kitten is laid back and the kitty at the shelter is also then I would think introductions won't take much longer than a few days. Is your kitty fixed? I'm assuming the one at the shelter is by now.
Just as an info thing for you - some cats change behaviours once out of the shelter. Not in a bad way. They just know they are finally home and their true self comes out.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

How about the bathroom for the new kitty? Or maybe the kitchen? I had to close off my kitchen for a few months when I was introducing my last cat into our household. It likely won't take you months, but anywhere really that the new cat can have a space of his own.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 11:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Like AG and 14Kitties have already stated...thank you for thinking of an older cat. I hope you adopt him.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 11:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc123 View Post

LOL

Diane
Actually 6 is better than 4!
Old June 3rd, 2010, 11:35 AM

our bathroom is not very big either. are we doomed bringing in a new cat without closing them off? What i am think is putting the new cat in the bedroom but i dont think it will take even more than a night for max to get curious about him. Max was introduced to the super's cat in our building. All he wanted to do was play. He was great.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 11:36 AM
150% PRO S/N

If all else fails and you don't think you have a spot for proper intros you can consider a large dog crate. Maybe a friend has one you can borrow for a few days? Or look in your paper or on kijiji in your area. They sometimes have some great deals on there. I picked up four of mine on kijiji. Never paid more than $50 for them.
This is how I have one set up in my kitchen all the time. The blanket over top makes the crate a little safe place for the new kitty. They can see each other but can't get to each other to do damage. Their curiousity is abated because they can see each other. You can expect a few hisses and swats at the start. Completely normal. As you can see it's a popular resting spot in my multi cat household. I have lost track of the number of kitties I have introduced this way. I have never had a problem.
Something you can try doing also is to rub some baby powder on your hands and then rubbing your hands over both of the cats. Or you can take a dab of vanilla and put it under their chins and near the base of their tail. These little tricks make the cats smell the same and there may be less hosility.
I have an old cupboard in the back part but you don't need to have that. I just put it there for an extra sleeping/hiding spot and to hold the litter box.
Attached Images

Old June 3rd, 2010, 11:48 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I would ask the shelter how this 4 year old is with other cats? Go to the shelter and see for yourself. You will learn a lot of how he will react to your guy when he gets home. Personally, I would not adopt him if he is not laid back with the other cats, it just may cause a lot of stress for you and Max.

Your boy is only 8 months old, he is probably not too worried about territory at this point in his life, but more of playing .

If you can't separate them, I would have the new guy on a HARNESS, not collar and leash so you can control if a fight starts and keep the new cat in control. Separate them when you are not home, and only allow them together while you can supervise.

Realistically you can't expect them to get along perfectly at first sight, they will read each other's body language, let out of few hisses, as long as there is no physical attacks. You may find that one will be much more dominant, and if the other accepts this, you can pretty much expect to have harmony . Sweet Pea will go after Rose one minute, then be kissing her the next , Sweet Pea being the dominant one and Rose is fine with that. I don't interfere and it seems to work for them .

There is never any guarantees, even with proper introductions that the cats will get along. My Sweet Pea and Puddles got along just fine (for months) until Puddles hissed at one of Sweet Pea's kittens, then it went downhill from there .

Are they both neutered?

Just saw 14+'s post about the dog cage, great idea.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:02 PM

thank you everyone! yes they are both neutered. From what i have heard and seen the older cat gets along with any cat they put in the cage with him and at his foster home.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:06 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
thank you everyone! yes they are both neutered. From what i have heard and seen the older cat gets along with any cat they put in the cage with him and at his foster home.
If that is the case and your kitty is low keyed as well I can't see too many problems at all. Maybe before you bring the new kitty into your home take a towel, rub it on your kitty, then rub it on your newbie and then your kitty again. This makes them smell basically the same. Sometimes works as a quick intro thing.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:07 PM

now my other question is the food issue. max is on dry kitten food. but doolie will be on older food..how do we make sure they dont eat each others food?
Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:14 PM
150% PRO S/N

That one is easy. Take them both of the dry kibble and put them on a good quality canned food. Dry food is never good for cats, especially males who are more prone to crystals and stones. Any canned food is better than the best dry available but if you can afford it grain free, corn free, by product free is even better.
Here is a great site to read. It will open your eyes!! It is written by a very well respected vet.
www.catinfo.org