Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 19th, 2012, 11:20 PM

New Diet, Less BM?

Hi All! I am new to the forum and tried a search but did not see anything related to my question.

I have just switched both my cats to an all wet diet (Before Grain, by Merrick) from a dry and wet diet of Hills Prescription after doing some extensive reading about feline nutrition.

That being said, I am no expert and would like to know if it is normal that my two cats are not having a BM daily.

On their previous diet of Hills, they were once or twice a day. Now, their litter seems to have a bit more urine but stool only every other day.

They are acting normal, playful and happy so I am not that worried but was wondering if this is normal.

Thanks so much!
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernoble View Post
Hi All! I am new to the forum
Welcome, Chernoble!!

Quote:
I have just switched both my cats to an all wet diet (Before Grain, by Merrick) from a dry and wet diet of Hills Prescription
Fantastic! You won't regret it.

Quote:
They are acting normal, playful and happy so I am not that worried but was wondering if this is normal.
It may indeed be normal for them. There's much less filler and unnecessary fibre in a good quality wet food as opposed to the crappy prescription products, so it would make sense that stool volume (and therefore, frequency) might go down. As long as they're otherwise doing great and the poop itself is fine (not too dry/hard/small etc), I would say it's okay. Every couple days isn't anything to worry about, but if it starts to stretch out to 3 or more days, you might need to reconsider. You could try offering a few different brands of food for some variety (some cats get bored of eating the same canned all the time) but I think it's great that you made the switch to better food. How old are your kitties, by the way?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the excellent reply Sugarcatmom!

Shadow, a black, short haired domestic male is 7 and a half and Ranger, a tabby coloured short haired domestic femaile is just over 4!

I appreciate the quick and educated/experience response. Shadow had some serious issues a couple of years ago with a pancreatitis problem and a short bout with diabetes until we got on board with his nutrition. It had been a while since I saw a decrease in weight (Shadow is 14lbs from 20 and Ranger is still around 11-12lbs) on thier "Hills R/D" prescription diet so I did a little research.

I read a wonderful book (not quite done it yet) by Elizabeth M. Hodgkins, titled "Your Cat". I think I am learning more from that book than anything I have ever read on cats and am so enlightened! They now only eat wet food and are currently enjoying "Before Grains" Turkey or Chicken.

As my wife says, "Our cats are our babies" since we have no children of our own (yet?) so the better we can treat them, the happier I, and they, will be!

Once again, thanks for the help and thanks for the welcome! You guys seem to have an excellent little community going here!
Old June 20th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Thanks for the excellent reply Sugarcatmom!
You're most welcome!

Quote:
I read a wonderful book (not quite done it yet) by Elizabeth M. Hodgkins, titled "Your Cat".
Ahhh, excellent book! Love Dr. Hodgkins. She co-wrote another book with Dr. Michael Fox and Dr. Marion Smart called Not Fit for a Dog!: The Truth About Manufactured Dog and Cat Food, which is a rather scathing commentary on the pet food industry, and "prescription" diets in particular. Dr. Hodgkins actually worked for Hill's for many years, and Dr. Smart is a professor of small animal nutrition at the Western College of Veterinary Medicine in Saskatoon, so their insight into the whole sordid industry is quite an eye-opener.

Quote:
so the better we can treat them, the happier I, and they, will be!
Super attitude!! Wish everyone shared that view - the world would be a better place.

If you happen to have some pics of Shadow and Ranger, we'd love to see 'em.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 21st, 2012, 08:15 AM

Hi Chernoble, I also have 2 cats, 8 years old. I feed them a home-made raw chicken recipe a few times a week; the rest of their diet is quality can food: Wellness, Merrick Before grain, Evo, Eagle Pack, etc. There is stool in my 2 litter boxes every other day. I rarely see some every day so in my opinion, your cats are reacting normally to their new diet.

Also, don't be surprised if Shadow and Ranger drink less water. When Kira and Jadzia ate kibble, they would drink often. I changed to the new diet several years ago and since that time, I have never seen them drink from the water bowl... They are getting the water they need directly from the food, which is better for them.
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:59 PM

Thanks guys! Sorry for the lack of response, I was busy moving across the country

The cats are doing excellent and have adjusted well to the all wet food diet

I appreciate the advice, help and responses, it's nice to hear from other "real" people on what is happening with our loved ones!

The next time I visit I will post up a pic!