Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 15th, 2010, 10:25 PM

My 6 month old Swissy has warts too. I tried the Zithromax and they are still there. She had one on her gums that is gone, but the 6-7 on her lips are still there. They haven't gotten any bigger so that is good. I've also heard that colloidal/ionic silver (available at most health stores) can help with warts so I bought a spray that I've been using for a few days now. No difference yet, but I will keep you updated.
Old November 18th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Senior Contributor

On the GSD forum there were a couple of dogs with these, viral in nature. Higher doses of vitamin C worked for them.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:22 PM

I have a 10 month old beagle who had one large papilloma a month ago, we took him to the vet who said she had never seen anything like it (???) and it needed to be removed. It was removed 3 days later and she wanted to send it away to be diagnosed but we were confident we knew that it was canine papilloma virus so we said no. Sure enough 1 week later there are more papillomas growing back. I have read alot of great suggestions but my question is how/where do you go about getting these remedies? Like for more vitamin c, how do you supplement that to your dog?? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!!
Old November 27th, 2011, 10:07 PM

Papilloma oral canine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Lee View Post
I was sent an email by a Dr Anna McDole who found that there is an antibiotic that has been shown to effectively treat papilloma warts. It is azithromycin (Zithromax). I do not know the mechanism of action however there are several antibiotics that will have immune modulating effects as well. Perhaps azithromycin is one of them. When I find this information I will post it.

Thank you Dr McDole for the correction and I hope this information may help.
Dear Dr Lee:

I am writing to you in reference of the Papilloma Oral Canine, my puppy got it and My Vets and I we are trying to find how to treat this infection, we are from Venezuela, and its a rare case. I read about the use of AZITHROMYCIN, and we are very interesting on what you know about how to use this treatment.

We are very greatfuly of any information you can provided us.

Jorge Marban
Old July 24th, 2012, 03:52 AM

Vitamin C for Dog warts

Others seem to have success using Vitamin C (up to 3 grams daily). Vitamin C as sodium ascorbate tastes like mild salt so my dog can't tell when mixed with a favorite food. It works on human viruses. It should work on older dogs whose immune system is beginning to compromise. Dogs, as most mammals except humans, produce their own vitamin C to prevent and cure viruses which is why they rarely get sick throughout their lives. I am trying it with my dog now.
Old July 25th, 2012, 10:32 PM

Guys, I saw this thread and wanted to pipe up. My little one Pip Bauer Belichick (the Pippy Puppy for short) got one of these papillomas (and a second one I didn't see) on his right lip about six weeks ago and like everyone else I FREAKED out. Assumed it was cancer, etc. Wouldn't tell my wife over the weekend she was out of town since we had already lost a puppy we adopted to a congenital heart defect (actually, a portosystemic shunt). Anyway, when the vet calmly told me it was no big deal, just CPV, I thought it was a little funny - Pip's been giving away a little too much free love on his walks at the beach!

Then they really started to multiply in size and number, to the point where... well, I don't have to tell you guys. Someone above just NAILED it for me when writing about having nightmares about rolling over in bed and finding another wart. They're really, really, horribly nasty looking things, and they absolutely get under my skin. (And for the record, I'm a grown man and reasonably macho and all that, my wife and I play hockey together, etc, and I have NO problem admitting that these things just totally give me the heebie jeebies.)

So I went on the offensive. I read this board and others, and the studies about zithromax, and Pippy's been on it for five days on the dosage prescribed in the studies I read. (I called a friend who runs a pharmacy.) In addition, I've twice crushed a couple of his papillomas (one tonight and a couple on Saturday), and he's also on a host of macrobiotics, homeopathic immune system boosters, fish oils, and all organic food. This is basically the equivalent of taking off and nuking the entire site from orbit; it's the only way to be sure.

While it's nowhere near as bad as some of the cases pictured above, his are pretty bad - I'd say around 30 and they're still growing despite being on the zithromax for five days as of tonight. That said, the growth has slowed, and I'm hoping he'll make real progress over the next 10-to-15 days.

I'll update, hopefully soon with some progress! The hardest part is that it appears to be bothering him now, and moreover, he's also a real love bug who just wants to give kisses and snuggle... It really got to the point where I realized that it was getting in the way of me giving my dog the affection he deserved, so we're going with a scorched earth policy. Let's hope it works!

Edit: by "it" I meant "the warts" appear to be bothering him.
Old July 28th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Fish oil can actually depress the immune system in certain ways. I don't know the effect it has on viral infections. (Adding this from google http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2709305/ )

You didn't mention vit C, which is an important anti-viral.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 03:21 PM

We are on day 14 of zithromax and the results have been striking. Most of the bumps have totally disappeared. His largest, nastiest one is less than a quarter of its previous size. I'm going to stay the course until they're completely gone, but holy cow, does this stuff work. Honestly, I sound like a drug company sales rep, I'm so enthusiastic about the transformation. It's amazing.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

You also made a number of other changes? Yes? No?

I'm really glad that they are clearing up, and good to know that this is a possible treatment!
Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Glad to hear it's working so well, Puck&Bauer!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxaLisa View Post
You also made a number of other changes? Yes? No?

I'm really glad that they are clearing up, and good to know that this is a possible treatment!
Yes - I also gave him once a day probiotics, viralys, and fish oils. Obviously, this wasn't a double blind study, so there may be some correlation/causation issues, but frankly, I have a hard time thinking it's not the zithromax. He was on the other over-the-counter stuff for a few weeks before starting the zithromax, and it was only getting worse. That said, sure, it could be a combination of factors. Heck, they may have just gone away "on their own," but I find that hard to believe.

Edit: My trick to get him to eat the pill was to smother it (and the fish oil capsule) in kong... worked like a charm!
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:10 PM

Pip is now 100% CPV free, and I thank the zithromax. On a real tangent, I'm not sure if anyone watches America's Got Talent - the wife makes me - but I'm 99% certain that comedian/ventriloquist Todd Oliver's dog Irving has a bad CPV outbreak hanging out of his left cheek. Poor guy!
Old August 24th, 2012, 12:51 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm sure glad that Pip is all better! From what I have read, the zitrhomax is supposed to be effective, though I've seen similar results from vitamin C alone. Maybe your Pip needed all of it to get rid of those nasty things!

LOL, I don't watch the show, poor guy!
Old August 24th, 2012, 08:06 PM

I know - I sent him a facebook message and he responded that he would have the little guy checked over.
Old August 14th, 2016, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck&Bauer View Post
Pip is now 100% CPV free, and I thank the zithromax...

I realize that this is an old thread but I signed up for this forum specifically to thank everyone who posted here about azithromycin.

I adopted an 8-9 year old dog this past February. When I adopted her she had a papilloma lesion on her abdomen and another one in her mouth. She had had them since her spay surgery and vaccinations when she was brought into rescue 14 months earlier (yes, the poor dog was in rescue for 14 months).

I made the mistake of having them removed surgically. Wow, they came back 30-fold. Her lips were covered with huge oral warts and so were the roof of ehr mouth and the area underneath ehr tongue. Her abdomen was also covered with horny-like growths, one of which was so large and ugly that it looked cancerous.

My vet didnt know what to do. I asked him about azithromycin and he didnt think it would work. But I gave my dog 250mg per day for 14 days. She weighs 80 pounds so the 250mg was probably too small a dosage to be totally effective. But 10 days after the last dose, the lesions covering the roof of her mouth and the underside of her tongue disappeasred and so did the ugly black growth on her abdomen. The warts on her lips have decreased in size to about 1/4 of what they originally were.

I started her on another round of azithromycin 3 days ago. I'm confident that the reminder of the oral warts will continue to decrease in size until they finally disappear. I want to thank all of you for posting about azithromycin. I'd never have known about using it without your success stories.

Some of her oral warts on July 16:
[IMG][/IMG]

Her oral warts today:

What the lesion on her abdomen looked like. It's now totally gone:
Old August 14th, 2016, 12:20 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, that poor girl! Those look pretty gnarly, Cindy. So glad the meds are working!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 26th, 2016, 12:34 PM

I wanted to post one more photo, taken today, of Lulu's warts. Actually, I should say "wart", as she has only the remnants of one wart left. You wouldnt even know it's there if you hadnt seen how bad her lips/mouth were just a few weeks ago. It actually looks like a small old-age wart. All the older dogs (8-9-10 years old) that I adopt have them.

The remnant is on her upper lip, right above/between the parts of her tongue. It may look like she has warts on her lower lip/chin area but that's just saliva. Someone filed down all her front teeth even with her gum line so she drools quite a bit.

Again, I cant thank this group enough for discussing the success with azithromycin for treating canine papilloma virus lesions. Even though azithromycin is supposed to be effective for only oral warts, the warts/lesions on Lulu's abdomen have all gone away too.

I hope that my posts and photos can help someone else someday.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cindy S; August 26th, 2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old August 26th, 2016, 04:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Wow! Such a difference! Thanks so much for posting!