Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 6th, 2010, 01:17 PM

Unhappy Male dog discharge - please help.

Hi there

I have a 7 years old male chihuahua, his name is TinyBoy. For the past 3-4 weeks he's having this creamy yellowish/greenish discharge coming out of his penis, it doesn't have a foul odor but he keeps licking it all the time
I took him to the vet as soon as I noticed it, they took x-rays and did urine exam and it didn't show any problems. The vet prescribed him -Metacam- for the discharge. the discharge went away for the first couple of days but it came back, I call the vet and she prescribed him some antibiotics -Clavamox-. I'm almost done giving him the antibiotics but nothing seems to have improved, the discharge and the licking continues. I just don't know what else to do to help my little guy to get better. I need help!

Thank you all in advance!
Old October 6th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Doggie Wench

Hello cagraci .

Metacam is an anti-inflammatory drug often used for pain control. Did your vet explain why he chose this med to prescribe? Did he take a sample of the discharge to test? Is your dog neutered?
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

This will sound REALLY bad, but here goes...
Our little one had alot of thick, green discharge a few weeks after we got him. It was so bad it would be all over the inside of his hind legs, stuck to his fur. I mentioned it to the vet who looked and wasn't concerned at all. About a week later I picked him up from day care and there was blood dripping from his penis along with the thick, green discharge

I rushed to the vet (a different one as ours closed at 5) and the vet there said he thought he had a bad infection and possibly damage to the inside of the shaft. He flushed it with a disinfectant and put him on antibiotics. He sent us home with the disinfectant and a syringe and we flushed it for several days morning and night, but the discharge was still there!

We took him to our regular vet (at that time) and she laughed at me. She said it's very common for young male puppies to have discharge like that, especially ones who lick themselves a lot and the licking could have caused the bleeding as well. She said there's a point when they discover they have a penis, and they like it
She said some male dogs, if allowed to continue to lick themselves will become chronic "self pleasurer's'" and to stop him from licking when we catch him doing it. Problem solved, no more "smegma", as she called it

I would have all the usual tests completed to rule out any infection, trauma etc. and if they come back normal, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:27 PM
chronically insane.

^ both of the above posts are correct.

I am not a veterinarian but I have experience with metacam- I would *personally* STOP using it immediately. It will do NOTHING to help your particular situation. I *personally* hate the medication. I am NOT a vet but I think Metacam is generally useless and should be taken off the market. Metacam is a NSAID and long term use has been known to cause acute renal failure (I have seen it firsthand...)

The Clavamox is probably a good idea anyways, but Smegma is likely the correct answer. It's quite disgusting. I work in a spay/neuter clinic and it's erm, overly abundant in un-neutered male dogs and puppies. I routinely go to pick up animals to get them on the table to prep them for surgery and have ermm.. have the unpleasant experience of it getting "everywhere" .

It's kind of odd that your vet did all those useless tests (a UA is normal to rule out a urinary infection.. but an Xray?!?!) and prescribed a medication that has absolutely nothing to do with anything related to this condition. I would recommend possibly looking into second opinions from now on because to be honest you probably just wasted a few hundred dollars to find out something that I could have told ya for free

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old October 7th, 2010, 04:45 PM

Hi guys,
Thank you so much!
@luckypenny: He's neutered... and I don't think they tested the discharge.

@Rgeurts: I'll try to correct him every time he tries to lick his "pipi" to see if it'll help

@kathryn: If I see no change in a few days I might just follow your advice and get a second opnion

TinyBoy says thanks too!
Attached Images

Old October 7th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Oh... what a handsome little man he is!!
I would just scoop him up, put him in my pocket and run away
Good thing you don't live close to me!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old October 8th, 2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
Oh... what a handsome little man he is!!
I would just scoop him up, put him in my pocket and run away
Good thing you don't live close to me!
Ohh boy! I'm glad I don't live close to you too!! just kidding

Tags
discharge, dog