Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old February 6th, 2015, 08:57 AM

Hello

Hi everyone. I am new at being a cat mom. I have always had dogs. I became a cat mom when someone threw a cat out of a moving car. I rescued her. Her name is Shadow. Since she had a purple UTI the vet has her on Hills c/d dry. I am searching for a healthy cat food that is nutritious and good for urinary health. The more I read about commercial food I am beginning to think homemade would be better.
Old February 6th, 2015, 08:59 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

welcome to the forum Shadowsmom2010

Quite a few highly knowledgeable members that know about food!

Just start a new thread on the topic and you'll be sure to get some good responses.

And we love pet pics....so feel free to post some!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old February 6th, 2015, 10:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the board - my soul dog was named Shadow. Bless you for saving this kitty. She will repay you many times over. I've had cats many years ago and miss them terribly, but currently only have dogs so I can't really help you much with cat food. But as Marco said, there are lots of people on here who will be able to give you advice. And yes we love pictures.
Old February 6th, 2015, 11:26 PM

Hello Shadowsmom2010

Welcome to the forum - ditto on the picture of Shadow.

There are several of us on the forum that do raw feed for cats and we've found it benefits the animals greatly. It pretty well eliminates Urinary Tract problems and Irritable Bowel, just to mention a couple of major headaches that are created by dry food.

You've more than likely done quite a bit of reading by the sound of it. I'm going to supply 3 other web sites for you to have a look at. The first 2 are mainly used by members. I also use the 3rd one for a food recipe for pork that I find really good. And I also find alternative medicines a plus.

Something to keep in mind. Most of your vets and vet techs are limited in their knowledge of raw food due to the fact that at our universities and vet tech colleges - their nutrition courses are taught by the pet food industry and if you've done any reading at all on raw food, there is a good chance that you will be more knowledgeable than the majority of the vets. This was brought to my attention by one of our previous vets who had issues with the teaching methods used by the university for nutrition.

If you're not getting good response here, try posting under "Cat Health ask a Member". It seems to draw more attention when it comes to animal health. By the way, how old is she? Younger kitties are easier to introduce raw food to than more senior ones, but it can be done. Just needs TLC and time.

If you are unable to make food yourself, the raw food is starting to become more available in some stores and there are some decent raw food outlets online. Personally I make my own, so I'm not too well up on the other methods of supply.

http://feline-nutrition.org/

http://www.catinfo.org/

http://holisticat.com/en/

Just hoping these web sites aren't duplicating what you have already read. You're on the right track for a healthy happy animal.