Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 23rd, 2006, 08:41 AM

Finding a dog walker

Does anyone know of any dog walkers on the Durham Region of Ontario? If not then does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to go about finidng a dog walker?

None of our firends have one and I am somewhat hesitant about just opening up the yellow pages to find one (maybe I'm just being crazy on that point ).

We would only need someone 2 days per week when my husband and I are both on days. I know the dogs COULD be left alone but for a nominal cost, this will help break up their day and make me feel better.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 09:07 AM
Rottie owner and lover

do you have a groomer you use, if so ask them. Or call your vets office, those to places always get either positive or negitive feedback. So you can know, and meet them yourself....Good luck, I have turned down 4 dog walkers because I do not trust them with a rottweiler.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 12:58 PM
Agility Addict

I don't really like the big dog walking services because you never know who you are going to get. My friend ended up with someone who tied her own dog and my friend's dog together and turned them loose at the dog park.

When my friend was looking for a dog walker the best thing she did was run an add in the paper. She had a lot of interest but was able to make a more informed decision based on the interview and seeing them with her dogs.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:48 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I knew a wonderful girl in Oshawa, but she just moved away sorry.
I better not let my hubby see this, he works nights, and LOVES BMD"S

I think your better off getting a trusted neighbor, friend or family member.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 25th, 2006, 06:00 AM

There are many factors you should consider when hiring a dog walker. Make sure the person is insured and bonded, obtain references and view copies of all certifications or memberships.

There are professional organizations for dog walkers and pet sitters. In Canada, we have the All Canadian Pet Services Network, Pet Sitters International, and the Professional Dog Walkers Association International. Look into their listings for a professional service.
Old February 25th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with asking your vet and groomer (if you dog needs one). The lady who walks my dog once a week and also boards him walks my vet's dog so that was good enough for me! And my dog loves her.
Old February 28th, 2006, 01:38 AM

You get what you pay for with pet sitting services. If you want a teenager who will work for cheap, there are risks you take.

There's a person in Mississauga who is pretending to be insured and have certificates, but she doesn't. I imagine she works cheap, but I wouldn't want her looking after my pets.

I wouldn't place my children with unskilled day care or sitters, and I won't do the same for my pets.