Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old December 15th, 2003, 10:23 PM

Exclamation problem cat...

hello everyone! i would really like some advice... well i have a cat, and my sister recently found a stray kitten which she brought home and at first we didn't think we'd keep him but we fell in love and do not want to see him go, we've named him Bobby. anywho, my cat maggie absolutely hates him.... and i don't know what to do about her.... she is constantly bothering him and attacking him and he is so scared... he can't even see her without running away. she likes to be alone in my room under the bed or under the sheets. she comes out at night only when everyone is asleep, or to chase poor bobby. i really don't know what to do about her. i assume that she is just being territorial but he's just a little baby...... she really frustrates me but this has got to stop. would someone please offer helpful advice...
thanks
Old December 16th, 2003, 02:07 AM
Senior Contributor

I have a feeling you didn't do proper introductions with these cats, but may just brought the kitten in and expected your cat to accept him?

Your cat is feeling invaded and is being territorial, and I find female cats to be even worse in that department than males!

Introductions can make or break the whole relationship! You are going to have to start from the beginning with these two.

Here is a good article on properly introducing a new cat. Be patient - because now you are starting with two cats who already have a bad thing going on, and this could take quite awhile.

Get the kitten isolated in a room right away - the stress he is having from the constant attacks can result in bad behavior or illness on his part.

Introducing cats