Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World > Pure Inspiration - Happy tails

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 10th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Smile Really great homeless dog owner

There is a youg woman who spends her days on a corner where I work. She is homeless and always has her dog with her. I almost never bring my wallet to work, because I always forget it there, and if I'm hungry or thirsty, I can get free food and drinks their anyways, so I have rarely given her any money. Yesterday I was at the pet store near where I work buying some tripe and some dog cookies for work (the tripe is for Layla, the cookies are for work... we give all the vsiiting doggies free cookies, but a non-dog owner bought the last batch, so they were crap, and I refused to give them to dogs, so I went and bought a big box of Wellness ones). Anyways, while I was there I decided to pick up a bag of Merrick's Wilderness Blend (I considered Wellness, but since not all dogs like to eat it, I didn't want to risk it, and I've never met a dog that didn't love Merrick) (it was just a 15 lb bag, so it won't last that long, but it's something right?) Anyways, I walked up to her with Layla and told her "this is for your dog, I know how expensive dog food can be and thought you could use some" she was floored and soo greatful. I walked off to go to work to pick up some coin to be changed for bills and then walked by her again on my way to my car. She stopped me, and thanked me again, a little worried, I asked her if the food was ok (knowing it was ok, but maybe her dog didn't like it... whatever) and she told me "oh my god, it's more than ok! I just bought this book about dog food, so that I can learn about the ingredients in dog food. I don't want to feed my dogs grocery store cr@p, I want him to be healthy. My dog eats before I do, and I want to make sure he's eating the best food I can get. This food you got me is great, there's no cr@p in it or anything, thank you so much!"

I thought it was so great that she was putting so much care into what her dogs eat. I noticed that the first thing she did when I gave her the food was look at the ingredients, so she's staying really informed. It just made me so happy