Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 26th, 2003, 05:24 PM

peeing in bed - refusing to go outside

Our 6-year old black lab mix has begun urinating in her bed when it is cold outside. This is only a problem during the winter as she goes outside willingly during the spring/summer/fall months. She apparently doesn't like the cold and either doesn't fully empty her bladder when she is outside, or deliberately waits until she returns inside to urinate. She pees in her bed, and then will still sleep on it, and occasionally she pees right beside the door. This weekend she waited until I left the room, then peed beside the door. She was neutered as a pup, and the vet said no bladder infection. This is the second winter we have had this problem with her. She's the only dog, we also have a cat and 2 children. I give her a treat when she goes outside and when she returns to try to make it a positive thing. Any suggestions? I also posted this to the ask-a-vet section.
Old December 27th, 2003, 07:54 PM
Chocolate

watch her. see if she really pees outside, ENCOURAGE her to do so and REWARD her when she does pee outside.

If you catch her peeing inside the house, quickly take her outside so she can finish up, reward her, and bring her back in.

She needs more attention, I think. Physical praise is also wonderful, not just a soft voice & eye contact.

Good luck!
Old December 27th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hey I replied to this post but it went missing vanished poof gonezo

(Psssst Marco whats' goin on here, my posts are vanishing)

Take the dog out and play, get maybe a nice sweater and offer treats when u go out and come back in.

As wAggies says, praise praise praise!

good luck
Old December 28th, 2003, 10:51 AM
banned user

Many Years ago we had a Great dane! She would pee for no reason. We took her to the vets and he said because she was spayed...the muscle over the bladder became weak. I don't know if that helps or not?
Old December 28th, 2003, 12:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Luba, your posts aren't disappearing - this question was posted in several forums, and your reply is in the Ask a Vet thread.
Old December 28th, 2003, 05:24 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

OH LMAO

thanks LR I thought I was invisible!!!

hahah
Old January 5th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

as with amaruq my girl has damaged muscles from being desexed (bloody vet charged me $190 for it to, gee thanks for the problems...) and she pees herself if not watched. if it is hot she drinks alot and then pees herself, you could stand next to her talking and she just pees herself, she does it while she is asleep, and she honestly doesnt know it, we just monitor her all the time and make sure she pees regularly. it may pay to take the dog out say hourly or so and encourage it to pee. and hey, when my girl does it i say "have a waz" and praise her for it, and after 8years of saying this she actually pees on comand, this is great for travelling and her problem.