Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 16th, 2011, 08:40 AM

Dog vomiting grass

Dog has been cleared 100% healthy by the vet, and is otherwise normal/happy/healthy/eating/drinking well.

However, he frequently (1-2x a week) vomits yellow liquid with grass. He is starting to get more and more obsessive about eating grass despite any & all corrections (consistent "no grass!" corrections ).

It's to the point where I take him out to go to the bathroom and he will just want to eat the grass rather than go. He won't actually go to the bathroom in his own yard so it's frustrating to walk him several blocks every time he needs to use it (I have a young baby to tote along as well), especially when he will only want to stop and eat grass.

Why the grass obsession?
Old May 16th, 2011, 09:28 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Our dogs get it every spring, as well. The minute the grass greens up, they're grazing...and barfing up bile with the grass a few minutes later...

Does he eat in the morning? We've noticed that if they get a little snack before they go out, they're less likely to graze. Almost like they're doing it to soothe an empty stomach.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 16th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

The shelties tend to vomit bile(the yellow liquid) if they go too long without food . Best fed twice a day. Not twice as much , divide the food. The grass eating is probably done to hurry up the process, and if my cattle dogs have a tummy ache they will eat grass faster than livestock does, which I suppose is better than Perkin's desire to eat lemon scented geraniums. LOL.
Old May 16th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Oh, I feel your pain shibamom....

My GSD is notorious for this....I swear she's part cow.

Obviously keep working on "leave it" and do yourself a favour and rake up your grass clippings. I learned that the hard way....after Kailey yarfed up the biggest half-digested grass ball known to man.

I find the shorter you keep your grass the less they graze. And regular snacking or meals spaced throughout the day help a bit too.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old May 16th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Chum Mum

My Mr. C does this as well!!! I always keep telling him hey buddy you aren't a cow, enough grazing already. Not too wild about the yellow bile either...but keeping the grass short is key!!
R.I.P. Boog,Pootie, Bud & Tarkha
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I look into your soft brown eyes,
Where love and loyal homage shine,
And wonder where the difference lies
Between your soul and mine!
Old May 16th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

my dog Zoe likes to eat grass too, but she is picky about what peices she will eat. She doesn't do the normal lawn, but the longer greener stalks that grow along the fence and house. In spring she eats a bunch, it tapers off later on. The poops are the worse...grass goes out the same way it goes in. Funny thing, my vet said grass eating is okay as long as they don't vomit it up. He said if that happens then it time to see him.
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old May 16th, 2011, 07:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's weird. Our dogs almost always throw it up instead of it passing through... And our vets make nothing of it. Did your vet say why that would be a problem, dch? Dang! I hope it's nothing serious--we'd have all 8 in on a weekly basis if it is!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 17th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

no he never did say what the problem could be if they vomitted the grass back up. It was a couple years ago I took Zoe in because she was crazy for grass eating, and like I said, only one type of grass. He asked if she was passing it or vomiting it .......I said it goes right through her (he mentioned not pulling any that was stuck, to trim it and let it pass on it's own) and he said if she does vomit any back up he wanted to see her ASAP. The only problems I have had with Zoe have to do with her backend being wounded in the dog attacks which scar tissue has messed up one anal gland (touch wood, it has been good for over a year now) and when she got poisoned by eating a whole family of Northern Short Tailed Shrews. So I was always under the impression that if she threw up grass to the vet she goes.
Old May 17th, 2011, 01:40 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Okay, I gotta go !!!! A whole family of short-tailed shrews?! We have them here, too, and I'm always worried about the dogs getting into them. How bad did she get?

Old May 18th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Zoe was extremely sick after eating the shrews, I thought they were mice babies. Think there are some old posts on here when I went through it. She lost lots of weight, throwing up all the time, the worst diarreaha I have ever seen. She was lethargic, the vet perscribed all different kinds of anti botics. Nothing was helping, then one day I heard the same squeak that those other ones did, Zoe had another one in her mouth. I immediately brought it up to the vet, told him it wasn't mice she ate, it was one of these. Got the right medication, and in two weeks Zoe was good to go.