Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old October 1st, 2009, 01:30 PM
Senior Contributor

SO Frustrated!! Cat Owners Need to be More Responsible.

The DH and I are at our wits end.

Currently, we have two neighbors (one that is behind us and one beside us) that allow their cats to roam.

The neighbors behind us only juuuust started doing this with their cat because they're renovating their house. So what do they do? They put his LITTER BOX and his CAT SCRATCHER on their back deck and leave him out there. I have no clue if he's been allowed back in since the reno's started, but he can certainly tell we have cats (I'm assuming because he always comes to our back door) and meows and meows and meows to be let in. This gets our cats AND dogs very riled up, and lets just say: I have a baby. This cannot continue. Last night I went over to their house, politley knocked on the door, and explained the situation.

This morning? I woke up to my dogs going ballistic because this cat was there again.

The other neighbors beside us, have been an issue since we moved in. Twice this past spring/summer - we found dead baby birds on our deck from our bird house. I cannot even tell you how many times they have pooped in our garden, even in our standing flower pots beside our BBQ. TWICE I have almost hit their black tom cat because he sleeps under my car.

Not to mention that they have been using our side of the fence as a cat scratcher, and we'll need to replace two boards specifically next spring.

We have talked to these neighbors beside us numerous times, especially when we found the dead birds the first time.

Nothing has been done. They continue to walk our fence line, hiss at our dogs when they're outside, etc. It's really driving us nuts, so I have just printed off the City of Calgary bylaws and am planning on delivering them "annonymously" tonight. I even went so far as to highlight all the areas I felt applied, including the $1500.00 fine if this was not followed.

I just want to know if there is anything else I can do. I called the city, and they said they send out cat traps for US to catch them, because they don't do it themselves.
I reeeeally don't want to do this, as we recognize this is not any of the cats fault, but DH and I are both at our wits end.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:34 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

But it is the cat who will be the loser :sad: Plus, they can just get another and it will start all over again.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
But it is the cat who will be the loser :sad: Plus, they can just get another and it will start all over again.
I agree L4H. :sad: It's not fair for the cats, BUT something needs to be done, not only because these cats are a nusisance to a few of us (I'm referring to the neighbor cats beside us, the neighbors behind us are irresponsible but I know they will bring their cat inside after they are done everything...it just adds to the frustration of the other cats) - but because it is totally UNSAFE for these cats to be wandering the way they are. One of them doesn't even have a left eye anymore! Our neighborhood is very close to the main highway, not to mention in a very busy area with main streets close by.

I don't know what to do but to turn to the city at this point, and I'm HOPING if they see on paper how much they could be fined that it will motivate them to keep their cats on their property. I just don't know if this is enough.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a feeling the only thing the city would do at this point is take the cats away, which may mean a death sentence because of their idiot owners.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:46 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

One thing is for sure, you can't control other people. Is there a rescue that may take these cats in, rather than the city pound?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
I have a feeling the only thing the city would do at this point is take the cats away, which may mean a death sentence because of their idiot owners.
I have to agree with ancientgirl. There are many in our neighbourhood as well. I approached the girl nicely and told her that I am glad I found the owners since I was going to trap them. She gasped and then brought them indoors. We remain cordial with one another.

Since such time I have seen one outside. He was left behind and she kindly took over his care....but is still allowed to roam. If I contact our animal control here - they will pick them up and they will be killed. I opt not to do anything about this situation. Other neighbours are complaining however I twisted it to say that at least he is catching the mice that could have found their way into their homes.. Now everyone is hush.

Not that this will help you at all but just to let you know that it really is not the cats fault.
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
Very possible. I also don't think their tom cat would be very adoptable either.:sad:

But on the same note, I'm terrified of putting my cats on their harness in my own backyard because of these cats and that is not fair for them either.

It really po's me that we take the time to ensure no one is bothered by any of my pets, and others aren't doing the same. My animals lose out because of it.

L4H, we do have a great rescue in Calgary that I would love for these cats to go too - but they don't take owner surrendered animals, just strays.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I have to agree with ancientgirl. There are many in our neighbourhood as well. I approached the girl nicely and told her that I am glad I found the owners since I was going to trap them. She gasped and then brought them indoors. We remain cordial with one another.

Since such time I have seen one outside. He was left behind and she kindly took over his care....but is still allowed to roam. If I contact our animal control here - they will pick them up and they will be killed. I opt not to do anything about this situation. Other neighbours are complaining however I twisted it to say that at least he is catching the mice that could have found their way into their homes.. Now everyone is hush.

Not that this will help you at all but just to let you know that it really is not the cats fault.
I think the issue is that they are starting to destroy my yard, and THAT makes me mad. We've been dealing with these same two cats for two years now, trying to just 'live with it' (and my constant reminders to DH that it's not the cats fault, it's not the cats fault) but DH just saw the fence posts on the weekend and it really unnerved me.
I guess I want to see these people actually CARE a little bit, instead of just smiling and nodding whenever we talk to them. Care that your cats are howling outside our windows at 2 in the morning, and care that there is potting soil all over our back deck because the cats use it for their washroom, and care that my stuff in my yard is now being used as scratching posts!!!

I know that sounds harsh, but I am seriously...seriously...at my wits end. Which is why I'm posting this because I don't want anything bad to happen to the cats, but I need to have suggestions as to how I can prevent this from being a problem for my family.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:19 PM
I'm a softy

I would continue to try and get through to the owners about keeping them inside or at least confined to their property.. I am probably not the best person to ask, as I dealt with the same thing, but felt so bad for the cat.. My kids adopted it and played with it when it came over, we fed it and gave it an 'at our place' name... I could have sent it to the pound, where they would either pick it up and continue, the cat suffering for it, be pts, or I could have tagged it to bring into rescue, but I know the chances of it finding a home in any reasonable amount of time, spewing at the rim with cats. That is the story unfortunetly...Cats don't always stand much of a chance, and I hate that they get trapped and put in a cage waiting for death or a miracle, when we should be trapping the owners and taking them to court or at least stand them in line for some sense knocking in.. The best thing is to keep trying to see if you can get the owners to keep them inside, and hopefully they come around. stray cats, sadly, very sadly, are a fact of life... and always seem to be around. I don't let my cats out, and my dogs don't mind cats, so it really doesn't bother me, but I hate that people let them out, and wish there was a way to get through to the owner without affecting the cat, then I would participate..
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:21 PM
Senior Contributor

we had a neighbours cat that use to sneak into the garage to use hubs floor cleaner (kitty litter) as his own litter box, neighbour refused to keep it inside, it slept in the house but used the cat door to come and go,....well....as it happened one day, hubs did the driveway with black sealer and kitty walked across it, when he shoo'd it away it went running back through its cats door........black tar feet and all, did I mention they had beige carpeting? I guess it made one heck of a mess and she tried to come after us for the money to clean the carpets and have the cat cleaned (she had to take it to the groomers to get the tar/sealer off) the cat was no longer allowed to run free
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lUvMyLaB<3 View Post
I would continue to try and get through to the owners about keeping them inside or at least confined to their property.. I am probably not the best person to ask, as I dealt with the same thing, but felt so bad for the cat.. My kids adopted it and played with it when it came over, we fed it and gave it an 'at our place' name... I could have sent it to the pound, where they would either pick it up and continue, the cat suffering for it, be pts, or I could have tagged it to bring into rescue, but I know the chances of it finding a home in any reasonable amount of time, spewing at the rim with cats. That is the story unfortunetly...Cats don't always stand much of a chance, and I hate that they get trapped and put in a cage waiting for death or a miracle, when we should be trapping the owners and taking them to court or at least stand them in line for some sense knocking in.. The best thing is to keep trying to see if you can get the owners to keep them inside, and hopefully they come around. stray cats, sadly, very sadly, are a fact of life... and always seem to be around. I don't let my cats out, and my dogs don't mind cats, so it really doesn't bother me, but I hate that people let them out, and wish there was a way to get through to the owner without affecting the cat, then I would participate..
I totally agree, LML. And please don't get me wrong. I also feel very bad for these cats.

When my family first moved into this house, we did try to 'make friends' with the cats, however we quickly learned that anyone that approaches either of their two cats will be hissed at and they're gone like a shot. I think he's fairly skittish as well due to the missing eye, so that makes getting close to him much more difficult. We didn't think much of their presence, until we noticed that their cats were in our yard a lot - and on the street - and under our cars - and we started having conversations with the owners. It wasn't even really until we brought home our dog that things got fairly frustrating - the black tomcat in particular would jump off the fence and stand meters in front of Bailey with her back up, tail swooshing, hissing at her, regardless of whether or not we were standing there. It made house-training rather interesting, lets just say that.

The cat that visits us from the neighbors behind us would be more than welcome, if my dogs did not get so riled up. He's very friendly and adorable, and is not the problem here - he just added to my anxiety lately because things with the other neighbors are starting to get incredibly frustrating. (AND, I quickly went upstairs to let my dogs outside and noticed that she has him on a lead and harness, both look brand new, but at least he's safe on his property now!) Talking works for some people I suppose.

I will go ahead then and drop off this information in my neighbors mailbox and wait to see what happens.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
we had a neighbours cat that use to sneak into the garage to use hubs floor cleaner (kitty litter) as his own litter box, neighbour refused to keep it inside, it slept in the house but used the cat door to come and go,....well....as it happened one day, hubs did the driveway with black sealer and kitty walked across it, when he shoo'd it away it went running back through its cats door........black tar feet and all, did I mention they had beige carpeting? I guess it made one heck of a mess and she tried to come after us for the money to clean the carpets and have the cat cleaned (she had to take it to the groomers to get the tar/sealer off) the cat was no longer allowed to run free

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
. This is PURRFECT!
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:38 PM
Senior Contributor

baily, do they go over your fence to get into your yard? maybe a few of those whirly things the kids us, you know where the wind blows them around??? add some to your fence top, maybe it will scare them away?
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
baily, do they go over your fence to get into your yard? maybe a few of those whirly things the kids us, you know where the wind blows them around??? add some to your fence top, maybe it will scare them away?
Wow, THANKYOU Melinda!! We have a very high six foot wood fence around our yard, and I could never figure out how to keep them from jumping in.

This may be exactly what we need. I will do this today and let you know how it goes.

Should I regularly move them to different areas on the fence so they don't get used to them?

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:49 PM
Senior Contributor

This is sad but true. If my neighbours cats ever get in our yard somehow, my terrier dogs would kill them (hunting instinct). I wish cat owners didn't let their cats roam. They also use my front garden for a litter box.
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
This is sad but true. If my neighbours cats ever get in our yard somehow, my terrier dogs would kill them (hunting instinct). I wish cat owners didn't let their cats roam. They also use my front garden for a litter box.
It's sad isn't it? There are just too many things that can happen to a stray in the city, especially considering how close we are to a few highways. :sad:

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:22 PM
Senior Contributor

that is a good idea to move them periodically, there are also those windsox, my sis (ok this is a bit funny) had trouble with cats in her flower beds, she bought one of those gross gnomes that ummmm fart...loudly whenever someone walks by it...ok so she bought 3 of them *L* and viola, they scared the cats away.....
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

another annoying thing (for neighbours) at night would be those security lights that come on when something crosses their paths...pointed the right way and they could shine in their windows everytime their cat jumps up on the fencing.....
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

In the summer those timed sprinklers may help as well...
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
In the summer those timed sprinklers may help as well...
Ooooh! Great thought BenMax. Too bad I didn't think of that this summer. Those poor little birdies. :sad:

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
Ooooh! Great thought BenMax. Too bad I didn't think of that this summer. Those poor little birdies. :sad:
I know it's awful to see this happen. It's a tough situation you are in Bailey. I wish I had the right solution for you.

Are they allowed out during winter months as well?
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I know it's awful to see this happen. It's a tough situation you are in Bailey. I wish I had the right solution for you.

Are they allowed out during winter months as well?
All year round. Rain, shine. We, on many occasions, have felt terrible for these cats as it seems they are constantly outside. It's obvious they are very skittish of people as well, so it makes you wonder how often they're handled - if ever. I doubt they are neutered and I know that the toms eye was never seen to by a vet.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe the Tom can be of 'concern' for the SPCA then?
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Maybe the Tom can be of 'concern' for the SPCA then?
Well, our SPCA is a kill shelter, and I can almost garauntee this guy would not find a home. He is a very angry little guy, extremley huge, very brazen (once jumped up on our outdoor table and started eating a plate of cheese/meat/crackers that I had set out for lunch...needless to say, I actually let him finish as I'm sure he's not fed regularly...) doesn't seem to like other cats or dogs, has one eye missing - the tip of his tail - and in general looks like he wants to kill you.

Do you think I should report him anyway?

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Well, our SPCA is a kill shelter, and I can almost garauntee this guy would not find a home. He is a very angry little guy, extremley huge, very brazen (once jumped up on our outdoor table and started eating a plate of cheese/meat/crackers that I had set out for lunch...needless to say, I actually let him finish as I'm sure he's not fed regularly...) doesn't seem to like other cats or dogs, has one eye missing - the tip of his tail - and in general looks like he wants to kill you.

Do you think I should report him anyway?
If you do then you know the consequences. I can't make this decision for you. This is a tough one Bailey. I am at a complete loss.

I would contact a rescue actually. Plead for the guy.
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
If you do then you know the consequences. I can't make this decision for you. This is a tough one Bailey. I am at a complete loss.

I would contact a rescue actually. Plead for the guy.
You know, this may be a good idea. I haven't actually considered contacting the cat rescue here I adore because I know they don't accept owner surrendered animals. But as far as this guy is concerned, he's a stray cat.

I will email them today and keep you posted. Thanks BM!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
You know, this may be a good idea. I haven't actually considered contacting the cat rescue here I adore because I know they don't accept owner surrendered animals. But as far as this guy is concerned, he's a stray cat.

I will email them today and keep you posted. Thanks BM!
Good luck Bailey. Maybe this guy will get a good life that he deserves.
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Good luck Bailey. Maybe this guy will get a good life that he deserves.
Thanks. I hope so! I just talked to DH on the phone and he said it's a great idea, but suggested we leave the letter for the family first - give them a last chance to change their ways.

I've agreed, will drop it off, and still email the rescue to make them aware of the situation. If nothing else, a vet visit would do wonders for this little man.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:29 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You could take pictures of their cats doing damage in your yard, to your fence, using the soil as their litterbox, send the pics to them along with the bill to repair/replace. That is if the other ideas given don't work.
As for kitties getting into your gardens and soil - use aslan's method of keeping them away. Pee in a cup and spread it around the gardens.

Unfortunately until cats are put on the same level as dogs I dont see things changing. We all know cats are thought to be able to fend for themselves and are allowed to roam free. We also know that things are not going to change any time soon. Dogs will always be a level above cats. :sad:

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!