Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 14th, 2003, 12:25 PM

Please help my dog

I posted on the training board but thought I would try here also
We adopted a 2 yr old terripoo 11 days ago. For the first 7 days we had no accidents. He is lately waking during the night and peeing out the side of his crate if we don't go to him(I was trying not to go to him so that he would learn not to bark at night) I have explained this in great detail on the training board. I dont know how to move the post. I have had little sleep in the past 4 nights.
Old August 14th, 2003, 12:47 PM

crate training questions and answers

Hi Wow..everyone is asking the same questions....

This info has worked well for my dog.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....&threadid=1866

The article by Stanley Coren is great as is the one attached in the body of the answer.

Just so you know Dr. Coren suggests NOT to go to the dog when he barks....because you are reinforcing him with your presence.

Some common sense tips - Get some earplugs during this transition, give the dog more exercise, put a toy or 2 in the crate. MAKE SURE there isn't anything physically wrong with the dog.

Hope this helps,
Homer
Old August 14th, 2003, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the info Homer but that doesn't explain how to get him to stop peeing out the side of the cage and waking up at 3 am. You seem very experienced, could you please read my post on the training board "dog waking up at night" and give me some advice. It is so kind of people to share like this.
Old August 14th, 2003, 04:40 PM

Lightbulb

We all know they hate to pee IN the crate.

Maybe until the routine is established-place cardboard or a sheet around the open sides of the crate. Maybe see thru plastic?

Put the crate in the corner so 2 sides are already taken care of.

REMEMBER- NEVER reward the dog with your attention/presence when he is doing something bad.
Especially at the beginning, ALWAYS - give unbelievable praise (maybe even with a low cal treat like a cheerio while saying good dog!) when he pees outside where you want him to.

Make sure that you read BOTH articles, they are long but WELL WELL worth the read. Stanley Coren is the host of his own TV dog show. He KNOWS what he is talking about.

Homer
Old August 14th, 2003, 07:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Very small dogs are often very difficult to housetrain.

Go to your vet or a pet supply store and ask for a "Belly Band".

This is a piece of cloth that goes around the dogs middle and over his penis. If he pees in the crate, the pee will be absorbed by the belly band and is most uncomfortable for the dog.

This is a very effective way to stop male dogs from lifting theor legs in the house, as they HATE having the pee soaked cloth against their skin.
Old August 15th, 2003, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the advice I will try these. Last night he didn't pee or poo in his crate he just barked every hour for about 20 min from midnight on. We didn't go to him and by 4:30 this morning he seemed to be setteling down. We got him up at 6:15 when he was not barking. I think he figured we would always go to him so he kept trying. Hopefully he will learn his lesson over the next few nights. It was a strange enough evening with the power being out, we got it back last night. I really feel sorry for the people who are still out.