Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 5th, 2013, 01:24 PM

Club registration

Hi guys

Is anybody know about dogs registration? I am getting dog that registered in United kennel club in states. Will I able to register my dog here, in Canadian Kennel Club?
thanks
Old April 6th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Senior Contributor

No. The United Kennel Club is not accepted as a purebreed registry. In the U.S. that would have to be the AKC, for American Kennel Club.

http://www.ckc.ca/en/Default.aspx?tabid=90

See Number 07 in the list at the link. Note that even if the dog is recognized by the AKC if the breed is not recognized by the CKC (for Canadian Kennel Club NOT Continental Kennel Club) you will not be able to transfer.

What breed is the dog? Your breeder or someone in the breed club in the U.S. or Canada should be able to help you. Unfortunately since your dog is United Kennel Club registered and not AKC you may have been scammed and you do not have what is considered to be a purebred, legally. But, there's always a but, check it out with the breeder.
Old April 6th, 2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
No. The United Kennel Club is not accepted as a purebreed registry. In the U.S. that would have to be the AKC, for American Kennel Club.

http://www.ckc.ca/en/Default.aspx?tabid=90

See Number 07 in the list at the link. Note that even if the dog is recognized by the AKC if the breed is not recognized by the CKC (for Canadian Kennel Club NOT Continental Kennel Club) you will not be able to transfer.
may be number 8 will apply in my case?

Quote:
What breed is the dog? Your breeder or someone in the breed club in the U.S. or Canada should be able to help you. Unfortunately since your dog is United Kennel Club registered and not AKC you may have been scammed and you do not have what is considered to be a purebred, legally. But, there's always a but, check it out with the breeder.

breed is welsh terier
I asked breeder. Breeder said that his dogs registered with UKC because AKC is too expensive ...
Old April 7th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Senior Contributor

You should contact your breeder and the CKC. Welsh Terriers are recognized by the CKC.

I should have noted, many people do like the UKC for it's competitive venues and will double register so they can compete in UKC and CKC. However any breeders I know will only do CKC for conformation and sports. I know some of that is because they only have so much money available for membership, entry fees and travel to competition so they concentrate on the only one that allows them to legally represent their dog as a purebred in Canada.

Why do you want your dog to be registered with the Canadian Kennel Club?
Old April 7th, 2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Why do you want your dog to be registered with the Canadian Kennel Club?
I will able to bring him for dog show and also breeding ...
Old April 7th, 2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piligrim View Post
I will able to bring him for dog show and also breeding ...
It's great that you want to get into dog showing My suggestion is to find a great mentor here in Canada that can help you with that - if you find your local chapter/club you should get more information through them.

Breeding is a huge step - be sure your dog gets at minimum his CH and is cleared health wise (ie, registered health tests on OFA) prior to even starting a search for a suitable mate. Again, your mentor would be the best person to help you with this.
Old April 7th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Double ditto Loki Love. No reputable breeder is going to look at your dog (male or female?) for breeding until you have at least some points towards a conformation championship or you have proved that dog in a competitive venue Welsh Terriers work in, or both.

Your dog will need to be cleared for the health problems that breed is prone to. Not my breed so perhaps you can reassure us YOU know what those are? The Canadian breed club will probably specify what they want their members to clear for.

Yes, generally you enter the breeding aspect of any breed through and with the help of a mentor who is often the person who bred your dog. And hopefully you knew all this and bought a dog from a reputable breeder with health cleared and competing dogs yourself.

Good luck. Let us know how you get along.
Old April 7th, 2013, 08:16 AM

thank very much for everybody. I will work on it