Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 8th, 2006, 01:08 PM

Cat licking floor by litter Box - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

HI
I am a student that lives in an apartment with my cat. Hes is 14 years old, he has been healthy until recently. In this new apartment I noticed he was licking the floor right by his litter box and he wasn't eating as much as usual, but he still was eating. I went home for christmas and brought him and the licking stopped, and he was eating the same amount. I figured I would bring him back and get rid of this plant that he has been eating, thinking that was why he was doing that. I cleaned the floor very good, hoping the licking would stop. It didn't he is still licking the floor. Is there a reason he is doing this? Does he not like living in an apartment?

Thanks
Old January 8th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I wish I had an answer for you,why do cats do what they do...
Maybe the floors have been treated with something he likes the taste of

Maybe the plant??
I just discovered my cats like to lick photographs,of course I did not let them,fearing something toxic.
You mentioned your cat was unhappy after you left home,but maybe the move to your house upset him,although he's happy to be with you
Cats are very sensitive to any changes in their lives..
However if he stops eating or shows other symptoms a vet-visit will be needed.
Old January 8th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Kitty Consort

I dont have any suggestions on what might be causing this, but if your kitty seems well, is now eating and drinking normally, licking the floor shouldnt harm him - as long as there are no chemical residues.

One of my cats likes to lick plastic.. plastic bags - cellophane, etc.- he's always doing it.
I just put it down to a "kitty quirk".
Old January 9th, 2006, 11:38 AM

One of my kittens likes to lick windows. She does it every day, and we have no idea why. Sometimes there is no good reason, but if you notice him eating less take him to the vet.
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:33 AM

Starting to figure it out.

Well, I took my cat into the vet because the licking the floor was getting very weird, and he stopped eating. The is waiting for a Thyroid test back and he also has insufficent kidneys. She said that is very common in senior cats. She thinks that there may be a Thryoid issue too, and that may be why there is some weird behaviour. Thanks for your replies.
Frasier&Mel
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

It is actually not all that uncommon for cats to lick photographs - some evebnlike glue, like KoKo in The Cat Who series tho I suspect KoKo's behavous might well be based on the real life Koko.

YY adores those blasted green grocery bag ties and I have to waatch her like a hawk because one of my fears is hthat she might accidentally swallow one!!

Here are two articles that MIGHT help:

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:I...on+walls&hl=en

http://cats.about.com/cs/behaviorali...hycatslick.htm
Old January 23rd, 2006, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Cats have an exceptionally acute sense of smell/taste (also known as the vomeronasal organ). The floor licking is an example of this: something at that site is causing the licking, and you or me will never know the source unless the previous tenant enlightens us. Even washing the spot many times may not remove the mark.

Getting rid of a potentionally toxic plant is wise. When acquiring plants in the future, ask if they are animal friendly; always research the type of plant if you are not certain.

And while I don't think the plant caused the licking manifestation, I do believe that the plant could possibly have impacted your cat's appetite. Once the plant is gone, monitor your cat's appetite. Hard to say if your cat likes apartment living, but try to make it comfortable--lots of interesting quiet places to hide, give lots of attention and affection, allow for stimulation (a window seat is always a favorite spot from which to watch the world.)

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490