Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 30th, 2003, 07:22 AM

18 yr old cat sneezing excessively

After reading up on this online, Im beginning to realize there may be no help available for my cat but wanted to see if anyone knew about it. My cat sneezes excessively, usually twice a day, several times in a row. All kinds of snot comes out. Her breathing sounds horrible, sounds like she is stuffed up. She has been doing this for a year. I havent taken her to the vet because she gets so paranoid and freaks when she's in the car and Im afraid with her being so old she might have a heart attack or something. Anyone have a cat that's doing the same thing?

Vicky
Old June 1st, 2003, 09:13 PM

My cat is doing that exact same thing
she was checked out and dx cold and have been back for more anitbiotics and it isnt helping
i read up on cat colds and she doesnt have the runny eyes or cough
i myself think its an allergy.
i was told if she is still sneezing when im done this med to bring her back as she is scheduuled to be fixed on june 13th.they wont do it if she still has the cold they said.
she is a stray and was like this when i got her. only have had her two eweks now.she seems perfectly healthy then get these sneezing fits and sound stuffed up until she sneezing out the snot then is fine again until 5 to 10 hours later or next day etc.
anyone else for any advice out there.
the vet figured she is around a year old or more.
plus after reading it said that other cats in same household would come down with a cold and my other one hasnt and they curl up and sleep together ,share toys and play alot together.even eat out of each other water and food dishes.and they do each have their own.
Old June 1st, 2003, 09:25 PM

See, thats what Im afraid I will have to go thru too....having to take her back repeatedly and my cat is almost 18yrs old. I just dont think she could go thru all that.
With yours a year old, I would have to think it must be allergies and if you do a search online....which I did.....you will see all kinds of ways to figure out what it could be.
My cat could also very well have allergies, and I have two other cats, who are 2 yrs old, and they dont have a problem at all. My house seems to be extra dusty and I have to wonder if that's it. I just dont think she will last much longer being so old and Im not sure that I could even solve this problem in time.
Hope your cat gets better!!!
Vicky
Old June 2nd, 2003, 05:31 AM

I can totally understand how you feel about taking your cat when its 18 years old. I had a dog who hated going once it was very difficult.
I would say that if she has been doing this for 18 why worry about it now.

Good luck