Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:21 PM

Dog eating dog poo

I have 2 beagles. Kipper is around 7:ish and we rescued him in November. 3 weeks ago we added another rescue, Biggles, she's around 1-2 years old, a real little cutie who's probably been an outdoor dog before joining our family.

Two days ago Biggles decided to start eating Kipper's poo.... She's gone for it 4-5 times now. Any suggestions? I try to clean up all poop in the back yard asap now but have to tackle the problem directly because I just can't inspect the yard 10 times a day or watch them constantly so I can respond within seconds if Kipper poops!
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:27 PM

Here's a pic...
Attached Images

Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
-

hi 100%doglover

Does Kipper vaccums meals ? If so , kibble will be "fresh" and sometimes intact in the poop , so some dogs see it at , ehhh , desert ? that may be why Biggles likes Kipper's poop

if that's the case , you can put a Kong in the middle of the kibble , in Kipper's bowl , will slow down the eating process ....
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:32 PM
-

ahhh thanks for the pic , they're adorable ! How do you tell them apart ?!
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the reply Frenchy. Hmmm, that may be. Kipper really just hoovers up his food now, but not more then before in the week(s) before. I'll try what you suggested though, worth a shot! We have kids too so not too nice to have a poop eating dog who gives kisses.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:28 PM

You know, I think you're on to something. Kipper has had mild diarrhea which is when this all started. Hmmmm, hmmm, hmmm, I really hope it's a quick fix!
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
How do you tell them apart ?!
Lol, as you can see, Kipper definitely looks a bit more like the senior he is. He's also huge in comparison 42 vs 22lbs! To think we found him soooo tiny before Biggles arrived . We had a GSD for 13 years so that explains it!
They do "match" though don't they!?!
Attached Images

Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
-

ahhh yes I see the grey muzzle now good luck with the poop eating. I have 2 poop eaters here myself .... Bailey only likes poopsicles (so now he's done until next winter ) and Chloé .... she's a cocker mix so that explains a lot

good luck !!!
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Aw, they're so cute! I love beagles...they have such great personalities!

We have some poop-eaters, too. About the only thing that works is being out there with them, training the 'leave it' command, and cleaning up ASAP. If they're out there unsupervised for a few minutes, they still eat the occasional poop. *sigh*

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:26 PM
You can call me DOG!

We have a little poop muncher too

Tried pineapple juice, then pickles, then meat tenderizer and we finally just switched his food for a more high quality blend.

We're still in the mixing stage right now and have noticed a significant difference just in form of his poops. Lot more umm...firmer (less mooshy but not diarrhea)

I 100% agree with Frenchy in that if the food not digested properly it comes out like MORE FOOD!

Our little guy is a scarfer too and I love Frenchy's idea about putting a kong in the bowl to slow him down Can't wait to try that.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old April 24th, 2009, 01:09 AM
-

Kipper and Biggles are too cute and I love their names.

What are you feeding youir fuzzbutts? It is the grains in kibble that are the least digested and therefore make the poop more appealing to some dogs ....especially hoovers.

Quite often switching to a grain free kibble will stop the turd snackers although it doesn't happen overnight. Keep enforcing the "leave it" command and pick up the poop diligently in the meantime.

Also, to stop them from inhaling the food from their bowls, if you don't have a kong you can also use a tennis ball or small bowl inverted upside down in the middle of their dish.

Last edited by rainbow; April 24th, 2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: added more
Old April 24th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

My 5 year old Eskimo does this too - so I have to be fast. Many years ago we adopted a 7 year old Beagle from the Humane Society and people asked us why we adopted such an "old dog" - grey muzzle etc. Well, he lived to be 19 1/2 so I guess we were right! No one could believe it. He had no health issues - just annual shots - right up until the end. And this was during the days when Alpo was considered "the food".
Old April 24th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Skylar's Farm

It's been said that mostly female dogs will be poo eaters, and that some of it is a natural instinct because Mommy dogs will eat the poo from puppies.
My Lab girl lived to 14 yrs and only stopped eating poo during the last couple of years.
I always went out with her until she did her poo so that I could pick it up.
Of course, if she barfed, that was regarded as a special treat.......ACK. Gross me out.
It was a race to clean up after her.
Old April 24th, 2009, 07:37 PM

So many poop eaters! I'm definitaly doing all I can to supervise and clean up asap. As for their food, yes the kibble is grain free (Canadian Now brand) and when I mix in canned food, it's also high end stuff. Our shepherd was on a raw food/home made diet so I'm a firm believer in high food quality, but just can't take it quite that far now with these two.

Biggles has clearly had pupps, her nipples and tummy give it away, but not sure that would make a difference. Maybe the biggest thing might have been the chewy raw hide treats that they got just before this started happening? Maybe there was that extra something that made it irresistable? Oh I don't know, but it does have to come to an end....

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions! And yes, gray muzzles are lovely aren't they
Old April 24th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Senior Contributor

welcome to my world i have 4 out of 5 that eats poop, its gross i pick up asap but they still find grrrrrrrrrrrr brenda and the pins.
Attached Images

Old April 25th, 2009, 10:49 PM

lol... my chug has a definite taste for the cat poo if I don't get it cleaned out fast enough, but funnily enough has never tried his own or another dog's. I think it's something in the food they eat specifically. Anyhow, of course you often find out when they come to give you kisses that is gross. In any event, at almost a year old he seems to be losing his taste for it. No arguments from me.
Attached Images

Old April 30th, 2009, 07:54 PM

This is from Victoria Stillwell: Look at his diet and see that he's getting adequate nutrition. Add a product called Forbid to his food, this makes the poop nasty to eat. Keep a big eye on him whenever he goes to the toilet and pick up the poop immediately. If he poops while you're away he might eat it out of boredom so the Forbid is a good way to go. However, if that doesn't work consult your vet, get a full medical check up to make sure that he has no health problems and talk to your vet about what type of nutrition your dog needs Eating poop is quite common and pups and mothers do it when their puppies are small in order to keep the den clean. It can become a habit very quickly. Therefore you have to control it. Try and find out when he is most likely to poop by feeding him regular meals and don't leave the food down for him all day.

You can get Forbid on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/FOR-BID-Stool-...1139180&sr=8-1

Hope it helps.

“The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different.”—Hippocrates