Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 8th, 2004, 04:26 AM

Question Excessive Drinking & Urination in my dog

I have a 6 year old Weimaraner and he has started to drink a lot and urinate a lot, he also urinates during his sleep sometimes too. His urination smells quite bad.
We rescued him about 12 weeks ago and thought this behaviour was because of the move, change and getting used to our other dog etc.
We are taking him to the vet for a check up and blood test this weekend, the vet is testing him for Cushings, Hypothyroidism and other things.
Do you have any other suggestions?
Look forward to hearing from you
GZ
Old January 8th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Could be a Kidney/Bladder infection..Or even Diabetes.Did you have him checked by a vet when you got him?
Old January 8th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Vet should know best

Could be diabetes, pancreatitis, bladder/kidney infection

Any other symptoms?

They are gorgeous dogs, let see a pic of yours!
Old January 8th, 2004, 06:29 PM

Thanks for your replies. We did get him checked when we got him as he had a lump removed under his front leg/armpit, this wasn't cancer but because of the position it would probably start to cause discomfort.
We asked his previous owners about the excessive drinking and they said they had it checked out and it turned out to be nothing.
Whilst the lump was being removed they collected a sample of his urine and tested for diabeties etc, the tests came back negative.
He was in kennels for 3 months before we gave him a home, maybe this could have something to do with his behaviour, somebody said he may be trying to mark his territory. He is also the domanant one of the two and my other dog has just accepted that as he was the runt of the litter anyway.
Well, once again thanks for your replies and I will try and download a picture of the two dogs together later today.
GZ
Old January 8th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sure your dog was very stressed by being dumped and stuck in a kennel for 3 months. However, that would not cause his urine to smell bad, or cause the other symptoms you mention - kidney problems (or other medical conditions could.)

Unfortunately, people trying to dump dogs (like your dogs' former owners) LIE about anything and everything to get the dog off their hands.

Dogs are often dumped if they have medical conditions that are going to cost money, so I would take anything the ex-owners say with a grain of salt. Did these people tell you WHY they were ditching their 6 yr old dog?

Nice to see good owners like you!
Old January 8th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Good point LR

Can you still contact the previous owners some how?

If you can, call them and ask who their vet was. Call the vet and ask the vet to send the dogs records to your vet by fax.
There could be some important information in there.
Old January 8th, 2004, 11:03 PM

Hi,
Thanks again. We can still get in contact with the previous owners, they only arrived in HK about 6 months ago from Australia.
We have most of the details from previous vets and I have emailed the previous owners today to ask other questions and to let them know we would like to contact his previous vets.
I think they loved their dog very much and it was a hard decision to give him away, they said it was due to their new born having breathing difficulties and with Weimaraners needing a lot of attention etc it was difficult to give him the love and attention that he needed.
Either I'm too gullable or they are telling the truth. They spent a lot of time with their dog and spent a lot of money on him, especially bringing him to HK from Australia etc.
I am also going to ring the kennels to find out if they knew anything or had any ideas why he drinks and urinates a lot.
I will let you know what the vet says tomorrow and will also put the pictures up.
Many thanks
GZ
Old January 12th, 2004, 05:00 AM

Hi,
Good news from the vets, he hasn't got cushings or a bladder or kidney infection, or anything else serious. The vet is however a little bit confused and has asked for another urine sample.
Angus is still peeing during his sleep and his previous urine sample showed a high level of alkaline!
Our vet said it could be psychological or just marking his territory.
Will let you know after his next test.
I'm pleased it's not the things we thought it could be though.
A very happy owner.
GZ
Ps, still having problems downloading a picture, files too big, etc.
Old January 12th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm glad to hear it's nothing serious!

As for his former owners...they loved him so much that they let their faithful 6 year old family member sit in a kennel for 3 months? They couldn't even wait to find him a home!

I'm sorry, but this is outrageous, and "having a baby"is at the top of the list for why people dump their pets. Very sad.

I know it's hard for good pet owners like you to imagine people doing such a thing, but it happens all the time, and it's always the same: "I just LOVE Fluffy dearly, but of course I have to get rid of him now that I have a baby/new job/am moving, blah blah blah."