Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 1st, 2008, 09:18 PM

Unhappy Aggression problems with Great Pyrenees

I have a 10 month old Great Pyrenees and an 8 year old Bernese Mountain Dog. I got my Pyr in April when he was 10 weeks. From the start, they didn't get along very well. We had a dog that passed in Feb. and we thought maybe he was still quite upset about losing his friend. When I told my vet about a month after we got him, and he was surprised at this. He said to give it some time.

Well, its been awhile, and every once and awhile, they get into it. Nothing major, just a bark and whatever. But still. Today was the worst of it. I was in the other room and I heard them starting. I gave it a min. thinking it would blow over in a second like usuall, but it didn't. I ran out to find my G.P on top of my Berner, pinning him down on his stomach, with his teeth on his neck.
I'm not really sure if he hurt him at all, I didn't find anything on him, but he did have a hard time getting up and whined when doing so.

My daughter had chips and was running around with some in her hand. (she thinks its funny when the pup chases her) She stopped to look at something and he nipped at her. He got her shirt but any closer he would have had her arm.

I contacted Bark Busters a few days ago, before this happened, and told them about the other things he was doing, but now I'm even more at a loss! I talked to my friend who owns and breeds and shows Pyr's and she said to contact a rescue or have him put down. I don't want to give up,but I also don't want someone to get hurt in the meantime.

Any advice would be appreciated!! I'm going to try to get into the vet this week and see what he says.
Old December 1st, 2008, 09:27 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

i'm kinda concerned about a breeder who's sollution is to rehome or destroy an animal for being an animal. The dogs are going to snarl and grumble and stuff, the bernese is trying to remain the dominant and the pyr wants that roll, you need to get him into obedience so he realizes you're the dominant. Tell your child to stop teasing the dog by running around with food in her hands. He is still a puppy no matter how large and puppies nip, teasing him is definately going to provoke it. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old December 1st, 2008, 09:36 PM

I agree with you! I try to get to her stop, and eventually she will, but she thinks its so funny to have the dogs running after her. I guess she thinks shes playing. He is pretty good for the most part though, but it is so unpredictable!
He is aggressive with the cats too. I'm just confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
i'm kinda concerned about a breeder who's sollution is to rehome or destroy an animal for being an animal. The dogs are going to snarl and grumble and stuff, the bernese is trying to remain the dominant and the pyr wants that roll, you need to get him into obedience so he realizes you're the dominant. Tell your child to stop teasing the dog by running around with food in her hands. He is still a puppy no matter how large and puppies nip, teasing him is definately going to provoke it. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old December 1st, 2008, 09:42 PM
-

You need to take him to obedience classes. And you need to educate your daughter how to act when with the dogs. And you need to supervise when your daughter is with them.

You've got an older dog with a puppy , it's not easy for your berner I'm sure. The pyr needs obedience class badly , or else an accident could happen. And you wouldn't want anything to happen to your daughter I'm sure !

I can't believe the breeder told you to have him put down , unbelievable !
Old December 1st, 2008, 09:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Awwwww sounds definatly like a obdience issue for both Q's.

1st issue is the fight. he is trying to find his place in the "pack"

i have a 5.5 month puppy & with my kids or any kids (nieces or nephews etc)

Strict rule No Foodoutside of the kitchen.

Due to "teasing" Tell her that from now on and maybe she will learn.

You as the parent need to control what you duaghter is doing to intice the dog before the dog DOES nip or bite or worse.

As he will also try & push her around too.

Last edited by Diamondsmum; December 1st, 2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 12:31 AM
Master of the Drool!

I agree with all the other posts. I have 2 big male almost 9 months old English Mastiffs and 4 kids, ranging in ages of 10 years to 4 years old And number one rule is DO NOT run with food. It is a natural instinct to chase something that is running and with food. My boys used to fight for top spot in the family. They will have their fights But My boys know if Mom speaks we better stop. You have to be in control or a big dog will walk all over you. Take him to classes. It will help him learn that he is not top dog. plus good bonding for you and pup.

Your breeder is sick for recommending putting the dog down. He is still young and easily trained. Good luck and keep us posted
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!

Tags
aggression, great pyrenees, pup