Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 27th, 2004, 02:34 AM

Question help! sick cat!

We have a very sick cat. Schatzy has been to the vet so many times, we should own the place by now! She has had evey blood, urine, and stool test. She has had x-rays and ultra sound. She does not have thryroid, diabeties, or an infection. All tests are normal. The next option is for exploratory surgery. Schatzy is sick, 13 years old and I'm not sure she can handle surgery. She has gone from a healthy 10.5 lb cat to a sick 4.5 lb cat in the last 9 months! What ever she has comes in cycles. For a week to 10 days, she acts fine. She eats and plays as a normal 13 year old cat. And then for the next week Schatzy throws up everything! She is on Hill's z/d because the vet said maybe its protein but she vomits that too. For the vomiting week she acts like a starved cat!(which she is!) and scrounges food from where ever she can get it, including begging from us! She gets to the point of throwing up only foamy clear liquid (nothing else left). We really need some help! The other cat, Cassie is a year old and just came from the vet a week ago and she is fine. (Schatzy does not eat her food because Cassie likes wet and dry mixed and Schatzy is dry only.) Thanks for any help any one can give!
Old December 27th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

OH so sorry to hear this! The extreme weight loss, hunger and vomiting sounds like hyperthyroidism, but you say the blood tests were normal and there is no tumour on the thryroid gland.

Has she been checked for inflammatory bowel disease?

I really have no clue but for a cat to lose half her body weight is shocking. Has she been x-rayed to see if there are any tumours anywhere internally?

I hope you find an answer for your poor kitty!
Old December 27th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Senior Contributor

If this is happening in 7-10 day cycles, it may be a reaction to something else in the household that is happening at the same intervals. Cleaning products? Does she go outside? Garbage collection day? Trying to think of weekly occurrences in my own household - housekeeper, gardener & garbage pick-up. My Pop almost died once from poisoning from a flea product he was using on his border collie - bathe the dog, get sick, feel better, bathe the dog, get sick, feel better, bathe the dog-etc. Only clue they had was the cycle. You might want to really do some investigating around the neighborhood if your cat goes outside.
Old December 27th, 2004, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the thoughts on Schatzy. I heard just the other day that Swiffer Wet Jet is bad for animals. I use this all the time on my kitchen floor. Could this be what is making her sick? She is a total indoor cat so she is around this whenever I clean the floor. Someone else suggested it was my gas fireplace. I have never heard of either of these before. Are they correct?
Old December 27th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know about the gas-fireplace,I hope it won't make cats sick.One of my cats,Vinnie,loves to lay really close...sometimes I am afraid he'll boil,he gets soo hot.Why would the fire-place make them sick???
But I,ve heard Swiffer Wet Jet is not good for pets,it's strange however that she gets sick in cycles.
I had one cat once who was overweight and diabetic,he lost half his body-weight in less than two weeks and when he lost his fat a tumor appeared the size of a tennisball,but unlike yours,he went downhill quickly and had to be pts :sad:
Old December 27th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

swiffer wet jet

That whole wet jet thing was a hoax. As for the cat, friends of ours recently went through this with their cat. Had all the same sort of tests. Finally, what was discovered was an intestinal blockage that could not be repaired. I don't know if this helps or not. Sorry she is so sick.