Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Movies - T.V. - Videos

Old June 5th, 2005, 03:47 AM

Which Films Have Deeply Affected You?

Which films have replayed themselves in your head long after you've turned the TV off? Films that have made you think and opened your heart to something? Somehow changed you?

Boys Don't Cry

This film really shocked me, and yet it should be shown to everybody. It is the story of a young woman named Teena Brandom who believes she is a man trapped inside a woman's body. Under the name of Brandom Teena, she moved to a small, trailer trash town in Nebraska, where she becomes one of the guys and woos the ladies. She falls in love with Lana, a girl from a bad family. Yet when her secret comes out, two young men from Lana's distant family brutally rape and beat her. A week later, they shoot her dead, as well as another young mother and somebody else. It is a very brutal film to watch, even more difficult because it is based on a real life event that happened in 1993. Yet it teaches an important lesson - don't be afraid to be yourself. Hilary Swank is excellent in this role.

Schindler's List

I watched this in my RE classes. Obviously another difficult film to watch - about how a man named Oscar Schindler set up a factory to save jews during the Holocaust. There are many difficult scenes here. One where the Jewish women who are originally bound for his factory are accidentally sent to Auschwitz. One where the Nazis create a huge mass of flames and pile the dead bodies of their victims onto a moving line and throw them into the fire - the loud opera music helps this to shock. Also, one where a Nazi guard is seen smiling to a young girl and then gently pushes her towards the direction of the gas chamber.
There is also the story of the little girl in the red coat - Schindler sees her walking when her town is sent to the death camps. Over the years he searches for that little girl - and then he sees the lifeless body of a child in a red coat on a cart of bodies.
This film is so shocking and disturbing, yet it also teaches people that this is what hate leads to - something we all need to know in this day in age.
Old June 5th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Men of Honor, it's a true story. The character played by Cuba Gooding Jr just keeps getting knocked down and keeps getting up--over and over. I forget the real person's name who's life story it is, but it's very inspiring.

Life is Beautiful

and Ray, the life of Ray Charles left a huge impression on me.

People that get "stomped on" by life and just keep pluggin along have always impressed me with their stamina.
Old June 5th, 2005, 05:10 PM
banned user

Poetic Justice more for Maya Angelous' poems, than anything else. I was flipping channels, came across Poetic Justice one night and just couldn't help but watch. (this now explains my dogs name "Justice")
Old June 5th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Kitty Consort

Hotel Rwanda, The Killing Fields, Schindlers List, Gallipolli, - all films I couldnt get out of my mind for their depiction of human qualities at their lowest and their highest. Sad but inspiring and reflective.
A Beautiful Mind also deeply affected me.
Old June 6th, 2005, 06:41 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Misissippi burning
A time to kill
The 7th sign
Apocalypse now
Hamburger Hill

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old June 6th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

This is a GREAT thread and I'm sure I will edit my list as I am a bit of a movie freak. Three that come to mind right away are;

Sophie's Choice
Platoon
Crash (2005) - I saw it last week and it is STILL affecting me.
Pay it forward
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by marko; June 8th, 2005 at 03:16 PM. Reason: adding to the list as predicted
Old June 6th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Crusader

Humm well since we all have our own Opinions
i'd have to say My choices are..

1. DUNE (1985) "Something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens.
THE SLEEPER MUST AWAKEN"

2. In This World (2003)
Old June 6th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

The one that comes to mind is "I am Sam". I'll not ever forget that one.
Old June 6th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Marko that is a good one "Sophie's choice" and Happycats that was a great movie "A Time to Kill" I will have to think about this one! I love movies and there are alot of them I will have to think for my top three.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old June 7th, 2005, 04:10 AM

The Notebook.... i don't think i have ever been to a movie when at the end, not a soul moved and everyone was sobbing, so muchly so that the movie theatre attendant bought around tissues for everyone!!!! it is a beautiful movie.
Old June 8th, 2005, 02:49 PM
banned user

12 Angry Men (1957), featuring Henry Fonda as Juror #8. A required viewing from my OB class.
Moral lesson learned: truth is no longer truth when viewed from a different angle.

L'Homme Qui Plantait des Arbres (Man Who Planted Trees), a short animated feature from our very own Frederic Back. An optional viewing from my psychology class.
Moral lesson learned: one person CAN make a difference.
Old June 8th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Senior Contributor

"A Time to Kill"-Matthew McConaghey (sp?)'s closing arguments at the trial.

When he said, "now imagine she's white", I began to sob.

Another one that really got to me was Schindler's List. Extremely moving, especially at the end when the actual children/grandchildren of the survivors make an appearance and lay the roses. Another sobber.
Old June 9th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Agility Addict

I am Sam
Lorenzo's Oil
Dances With Wolves
Beyond Borders
Philadelphia
The Green Mile
Old June 9th, 2005, 02:23 PM
<-----nut ball

robin Hood prince of theives
pump up the volume
mississippi marsala
Monsoon wedding
Totoro
nausicaa valley of the wind
princess mononoke
dogma
neverwhere (also a great book)

I think movies affeck you that are pertanent to a time in your life. I have seen pump up the volume a thousand times. It's about teenage angst and going ahead and doing what you want to do, and doing what is right. I love that movie (i also love christian slater...at least in his 80's and early 90's movies). I am also a romantic so Robin Hood has always stuck with me. It was also the first movie I ever bought. Mississippi Marsala and Monsoon Wedding are by Mira Nair. Both are about clashes traditional indian culture and american culture. The next three are cartoons by Hayao Miyazaki. He is so imaginative and he really makes you think when you see his work. Dogma is just an amazing movie that make you think (come on, two fallen angels trying to prove ifalliability of god??). Neverwhere, based on a book by Neil Gaimen about a secret life of people who live under the city of London.

I just like films that take everyday and makes it more imaginative.
Old June 9th, 2005, 02:51 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

The Green Mile!!
Old June 9th, 2005, 08:33 PM

Million Dollar Hotel. Life is Beautiful. Uhhh.. can't think of any others right now.
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:55 PM

Sorry I've recently been away.
I agree that 'A Time To Kill' is very shocking and deep.
I also want to add one more to my list.

#3 Thirteen.

This is the story of Tracy, a 13 year old good girl who's life is turned upside down when she meets Evie. Evie introduces her to a powerful world of sex, drugs and crime - resulting in Tracy becoming an absolute wreck at the end of the film. Evan Rachel Wood is fantastic as Tracy, and Holly Hunter plays her Mum Mel. At the end of the film when Evie has betrayed Tracy and she is blamed for the drugs and everything, Tracy collapses on the floor and starts sobbing. Mel simply cries with her for her daughter's lost innocence and begins to kiss the self-harm marks on her wrists. It is very powerful and emotional, and such a good film
Old June 30th, 2005, 01:39 PM
banned user

Talley I have to agree Thirteen was an amazing film so raw.

The film that most affected me was a british fim by Anthony Mingella called "truly Madly Deeply" with Alan Rickman (proffesor Snape - Harry Potter) its about a women who's HB has just died, and she misses him so much and all of a sudden he comes back as a ghost. its the story of how his ghost allows her to move on from her grief and meet someone new. its a beatiful film. I sobbed all the way through it. at the end I turned to my hb (now ex) and sobbed so hard. It made you think about how you would feel and how the grief would engulfe you if you lost someone you loved soooo much. When me and hb (present) are arguing or being mean, I think about that film and I offer the olive branch right away.
Old June 30th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I LOVED Truly Madly Deeply and recommend it to everyone. Also any of Mike Leigh's films (he's a Brit). I saw The Pianist recently and thought it was amazing. Didn't Adrian Brody get an Oscar for that? If so, he deserved it. Much better than Schindler's List IMHO.
Old August 26th, 2005, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR_NZ
The Notebook.... i don't think i have ever been to a movie when at the end, not a soul moved and everyone was sobbing, so muchly so that the movie theatre attendant bought around tissues for everyone!!!! it is a beautiful movie.
I just saw it tonight and I totally agree. It's nutty how much it affected me. Stuff dreams are made of.
Old August 26th, 2005, 01:42 AM
Not-so-senior member

Yes The Notebook...even my husband was touched, and he's more of a mindless comedy type.

Also Titanic for me...I'm such a romantic and that movie had me bawling for an hour. Schindler's List, The Pianist, The Piano, and Charlie Brown Christmas.

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allezany/
Rommel at www.dogster.com/?229253
MooShu at www.dogster.com/?229250
LucyLoo at www.catster.com/?229801
Ruby at www.catster.com/?229807
Old August 26th, 2005, 10:47 AM

Oh the Notebook...my sisters were watching it, and I caught the ending. It made me bawl so hard. I've never had a movie make me feel so sad. While the book DID make me cry, it just didn't affect me like the movie. There was just something about actually seeing the characters in front of me that made me react so strongly.

Little Women. That one NEVER fails to make me cry. Having two sisters of my own, it's possible it could affect me more. And the music is so beautiful.
Old August 26th, 2005, 10:58 AM
-

I can't remember the name. The word grey is in the name. It is a movie about the death camps. They would send people into a room, telling them they were treating for lice. Everyone had to take all their clothes off and go into a room where they filtered gas into the room killing everyone. They then burned all the bodies. It was the most awful movie and to think there is truth in it sickens me.
Old August 26th, 2005, 12:28 PM

8MM starring Nicolas Cage. Probably the only movie I have ever seen that was still affecting me a couple days later.
Old August 26th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Steel Magnolias ( i know but I love it and always watch when its on TV, Makes me sob everytime)
American History X
Old August 26th, 2005, 03:49 PM

Steel Magnolias! I completely forgot! I've seen that movie more times than I would like to admit. So sad.
Old August 26th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Deliverance,I will never go camping....
Old August 26th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Senior Contributor

The Killing Fields was pretty disturbing . . . . but then it was basically a true story so sitting there and taking it in was almost something of a duty. Life Magazine in 1943 opined, after getting angry reader mail protesting graphic photo's showing Allied war dead, that: "Dead men have indeed died in vain if live men are afraid to look up upon them."

Platoon was a movie that was everything it was advertised to be - deeply depressing. I walked out of a theater in Vancouver after seeing that and wanted to throw myself in English Bay!!

On the flip side, I still get gunned up sitting down with Top Gun while Forrest Gump is a movie that consistently leaves me fuzzy all over with its emotional range and simplicity.

A good western movie from the 1930's-1960's period always cheers me up as does throwing in a good Dick Tracy serial from the 1930's of which I have a nice supply.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old August 26th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree about The Killing Fields, shocking, how to survive such horror. I actually saw a documentary on Cambodia on one of the French networks the other night. Nothing has changed. The people are beyond poor, chronically malnourished, awash in the worst kind of superstition because they feel so helpless. No more rants please . Read my lips: whatever is going down in our lives, we are LUCKY PEOPLE.

I always watch Deer Hunter again when it comes on the TV. One of the best films on Vietnam IMO.

Rick, there's another expression for 'throwing yourself in English Bay'. It's called 'going for a swim'.

Last edited by badger; August 26th, 2005 at 08:25 PM.
Old August 26th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Flyball Mom

Has anyone ever seen "Not Without My Daughter" with Sally Field, I think it's based on a true story.

I like anything based on a true story, "Beyond the Law" with Charley Sheen is another good one.

I have so many favourite movies... not much can make me cry though, only if a man cries (ie Jersey Girl - Ben Affleck does some awesome crying - just watched it so it's on the mind), and if something happens to an animal (ie Black Beauty).

Apocolyptic movies are always moving in the "what if that did happen" sort of way (ie "Deep Impact").

I love movies!!!!! :love:

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me