Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old August 29th, 2008, 07:48 PM

Hello :-)

Hey everyone, my name is Nicole and I've got 3 cats and a dog.

I just made my account and I need your help with a problem we've been having with our newest edition to the family (third cat) and the second oldest cat. I can't seem to be able to post in any other forum, and I'm not even sure where to even post this!

We've had Meeka since June 10th, and right from the start Pascale (second cat) hasn't been nice to her at all. She hissed and tried batting at her as soon as we brought her home. Soon after Pascale would start pouncing on Meeka when Meeka would investigate the house and start batting at her. We thought this behaviour would go away once Meeka grew a bit, but the situation keeps getting worse. Pascale has scared her to the point where she's pooped on the carpet, will get held down by Pascale on one of her attacks, and most recently, peed all over my mom's bay window because Pascale was right on top of her.

We thought once Meeka got older she would fend for herself once she got older (she has front claws while the other two don't) but have yet to see her fight Pascale off. It's gotten to the point where we do not know what to do, and we do not want to get rid of either cat. We're just totally lost and helpless as to how we can get Meeka to fight back!!!!

HELP!!!!
Old August 29th, 2008, 10:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hi, Nicole. Welcome to the forum.

I'm a dog person, so don't have any advice about your cats. I hope you find an answer to your problem soon, though!

Meanwhile, though, we'd love to see pics of your furbabies if you have any to share.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 30th, 2008, 03:34 PM

Is Pascale a male? If so, he is letting the new addition know he's above him/her in the pecking order. They will do that...especially males. The males will pin them down, letting them know to be submissive. Hopes this helps. You might try using a spray bottle of water to break up the action, or clap your hands loudly, anything to startle Pascale and let him know you do not approve of his behavior.
Old August 30th, 2008, 03:51 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Hi, and welcome..

It sounds as though you just threw this kitties together without a proper introduction. I used to do that too, and it works for some cats, but not most, to be honest with you..

You're going to have to start a re-introduction process - starting from scratch. Cats are very territorial and need to feel comfortable in their spaces. I recommend on putting Meeka in a room on her own, with her own litter box, food dish, etc. Gradually you can work it so that they are together again, but if you want them to be civil, it's going to take a long time.. I've been trying to introduce a former mother stray cat in with my other two, and it's a very slow process - so far it has taken several months..

Here's a website you might want to check out: http://www.catsinternational.org/art...roduction.html

And if you do a search for cat introduction on this forum, you'll find other ideas from others who have been trying to make it work.

Good luck!

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)