Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 20th, 2008, 07:56 PM

Unhappy Help!!! 9 day old kitten stranded

Hi,

I am trying to help a stranded kitten. I am feeding the kitten every 2 hours but she does not take more than a few drops and that I have to force. She has an open wound above the anus which I'm trying to wash out a few times but there are small worms coming out of the wound. She has a terrible odor and is defacting, I think, on herself. Her anus is swollen as well. The vet is closed until tomorrow. I guess I would like to know if this baby has a chance with the worms? Could these worms be from the wound or could she have many inside of her? I have been cleaning them off but a few more will come out. One eye is also closed and we cant open it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help her go to the bathroom? I have tried a warm cloth but that does not work.

dmenton
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:06 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

My suggestion - find an emergency vet asap!!!! With an open wound over the anus it needs to be seen by a vet as soon as possible.
Do not try to force open the kitten's eye! It will open when ready.
If the kitten was being looked after by the mother the mother would lick the anus area to aid the kitten to relieve itself. Seeing as that is not happening use a slightly rough, dampened clean washcloth. What are you feeding it? Human milk is not good for the kitten. There is replacement cat milk available at good pet stores. I am not talking the stuff you can buy at grocery stores. I am talking replacement cat milk. Very important you have the right stuff.

There must be some reason the mom left it.
It needs to get to the vet. I can not stress this enough.
Good Luck!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:08 PM
banned user

I am sorry that i cannot help you but i think it is a wonderful thing you are doing. trying to help the poor kittin. I think the world needs more people like you! I wish you and the kitty the best of luck.
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:19 PM

Help!!! Stranded kitten

I purchased replacement kitten formula and a bottle but she is being very difficult to feed. I am taking her to the vet first thing in the morning. I did talk to the vet yesterday about her and am following some advice but he suggested to take her to the Humane Society because she is a stray. I dont want to give up on her because I will keep her if she pulls thru.

dmenton
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:22 PM
banned user

I hope she pulls through so you can keep her!!! Best of luck Again..lol.. Serious props from me dude.
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:28 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I am more worried about the wound with the worms coming out. That is not a good thing. What did the vet say about that? I can't understand why he/she did not say to bring it in then? Are they worms or maggots? As I said before, there must be some reason why the mom left it. Are you warming the milk up to the proper temp? It needs to be lukewarm. Not hot, not cold. If the bottle doesn't work try using a sterilised syringe and gently syringing a tiny amount at a time into kittens mouth. Just a tiny amount or the baby can aspirate.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:34 PM
head in the clouds

you could get a dropper to feed her if shes not taking the bottle (it may be too big for her mouth)

as for the wound... im shocked the vet didnt say bring her in...

just keep doing what you can and give her a hot bed (like lying on her mummy)...

as for the wound.... it may be maggots..
(>'.'<) Zena ~ 14 yrs Calico long hair
& Hugo ~ 10 yrs GBGV
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:38 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by duttypaws View Post
just keep doing what you can and give her a hot bed (like lying on her mummy)..
As long as the hot bed is not hot. It needs to be covered with something and not too hot or it can seriously burn the kitten. Their body temps can not regulate themselves at this young age.

Old April 20th, 2008, 08:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If they are maggots, they're beneficial--they're eating the necrotic tissue. Maggots won't touch living flesh, so they are sometimes used to clean up wounds.

I hope your little kitten pulls through, dmenton66.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:40 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
What did the vet say about that? I can't understand why he/she did not say to bring it in then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttypaws View Post
as for the wound... im shocked the vet didnt say bring her in...
And this vet told the OP to take the cat to the humane society .... who would have put down a sick 9 day old kitten !! I don't understand this vet at all.
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:46 PM

kitten

Yes, I believe they are maggots.

I tried the dropper. It was about the same as the bottle. The vet told me to use a small amount of bug killer on a q-tip and wipe it around the maggots then they will die. I tried that and it did work. A very unusual suggestion I thought. When I talked to the vet I didn't see the open wound. I did want to take him in but he suggested the Humane Society. Thank you for all your help and concern. I will let you all know of the outcome tomorrow. Kitty prayers are needed.

dmenton66
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:50 PM
150% PRO S/N

I am sorry but what kind of vet did you talk to? That sounds absolutely arcaic! I have never heard of that. Bug killer on a wound the doctor hasn't seen near the anus of a very very tiny kitten? What in the world was that vet thinking?
This is upsetting.

Old April 20th, 2008, 08:51 PM
banned user

Couldnt bug killer be dangerous for a kitten, especally one her age. and on an open wound at that!? Maybe you should talk to another vet!!
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:03 PM
head in the clouds

id imagine maggots would be a very "natural" method to clean the wound? then u coud try using a cloth to remove some when the kitty is a little stronger?

i know it may sound wierd but would it be possible to find a foster "mummy" cat? to feed the kitty? or would another mummy reject it?
& Hugo ~ 10 yrs GBGV
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:22 PM

I hope you can take this baby kitten to a different vet than the one you spoke to already. Can you take her to an ER vet tonight?

Wet nurse mama cat would be a great idea phone the spca/humane society to ask if they have a nursing mama either w/them *perhaps you could foster mama & her babies w/your baby* or in foster that this baby could be put in w/until she reaches weaning age

for the baby

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Last edited by growler~GateKeeper; April 20th, 2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:56 AM
-

I would also take her to a different vet than the first one as he doesn't sound very caring at all. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:18 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yes, call the humane society to see if there is a nursing momma there that can take over care for this kitten. That is the best thing for it.

Glad to hear you are taking this kitten to the vet today. Kittens will dehydrate very quickly and I am wondering why the vet didn't want to see this kitten immediately???

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:23 AM
head in the clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Yes, call the humane society to see if there is a nursing momma there that can take over care for this kitten. That is the best thing for it.

Glad to hear you are taking this kitten to the vet today. Kittens will dehydrate very quickly and I am wondering why the vet didn't want to see this kitten immediately???
ur vet sounds like a butcher to be honest... urgh... there is one everywhere! I hope kitty was ok at night and let us know how it/he/she gets on
& Hugo ~ 10 yrs GBGV
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:47 AM
Senior Contributor

I once saw a bunny at my vet with maggots in a woundthe vet just picked them off and then treated the wound,no pesticide..
I hope you don't have to bring her to HS.
The vet should be able to establish her age,maybe she's older than you think(hopefully!)you don't mention her size.
The eye could be closed,either because she's very young or has an infected eye.
I hope it will work out for this little girl and she can stay with you
Please let us know what happens at the vet
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:58 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Any news dmenton66? How did the vet visit go.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 21st, 2008, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I just read in the intro he is 9 days old,poor little baby:sad:
Old April 23rd, 2008, 06:03 PM
head in the clouds

*bump*

any more news?
& Hugo ~ 10 yrs GBGV
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:31 PM
Senior Contributor

I recommend another vet. No credible vet would make those suggestions- I cannot imagine i! I can only tell you that if it were me - and I HAVE treated many a sick kitten, waiting and hoping and praying they'd make it though the night (sometimes with a vet a100 miles away) - that what they vet suggsted makes no sense. That wound needs to be seen asap - no time to wait. Even if I had a kitten and a vet 100 miles away, I'd be in my car or someone else's and on my way to the first other vet or open emergency pet ER!

As for feeding her, she needs liquids so water or KMR(which you can buy at any pet food store, pharmacy or grocer) should be forced into to her somehow and by that I mean,, easily. Get an eye dropper or a syringe (a pharmacist at a drug store will give you one of you show him/her why- show him the kitten if you have to but my pharmacist once sent a bunch of them in a rush for kittens when I called them in a panic) (I had 4 mewing kittens without a mother and closed eyes who were maybe 2 days old). Push the water/KMR in her mouth bit not too hard - make sure she swallow some by gently rubbing her throat as it goes down. (Like when you give a cat a pill). Kittens NEED fluids!!

I do not get why this vet did not suggest you bring her over immediately. My vet would have asked me to bring her or other kittens there immediately given the situation you describe. So call another vet and find one who will help the kit!!!

Good luck!!