Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 29th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

East Toronto / Scarborough Area People?

I'm trying to establish an off leash fenced in dog park in the south area of Scarborough. I'm looking for individuals in the area who would like to be part of this plan.

Parks and Rec requires 15 dog owners to be involved to assist in any 'clean' up of the area and to fill in any holes dogs may dig.

Please contact me if you are interested. If you know of anyone in the Scarborough area that would be interested please let them know.

HERE ARE THE STEPS REQUIRED:

Step 1 - Initial proposal request
Residents who are interested in an off-leash area for their neighbourhood should contact their regional Parks and Recreation Division and their ward councillor.

Step 2 - Research of the proposal
Parks and Recreation will review each site against established guidelines in consultation with the Public Health Division - Animal Services. If the proposal does not meet the guidelines, Parks and Recreation will advise the proponents of the deficiencies.

Step 3 - Community input
Parks and Recreation, the Ward Councillor and the Public Health Division - Animal Services, will participate in a public meeting with members of the community such as Advisory Councils, sports groups, area schools, etc. to establish protocol, determine area and identify the dog watch community group.

Step 4 - Report
Parks and Recreation will submit a report to Community Council with recommendations - deputations at Community Council may be required depending on neighbourhood circumstances.

Step 5 - City Council approval

Step 6 - Evaluation as per procedures for review
Provisions for review, implementation and enforcement are set out below:

Implementation
Parks and Recreation will arrange for and install signage which would clearly indicate on and off-leash areas, hours of off-leash times and stoop and scoop regulations and fines.

Annual review
Parks and Recreation Division and Public Health Division - Animal Services in consultation with the Ward Councillor and the community dog watch group will undertake a review annually to determine if further action is required to improve or remove the dogs off-leash area resulting in a report from Parks and Recreation Division to Community Council with:
(i) recommendation to continue or
(ii) revisions to off-leash areas.

Enforcement
Public Health Division - Animal Services and the Toronto Police Department when contacted by the community dog watch group as required.

Off-leash guidelines

1. All parks and vacant City of Toronto land should be considered for dogs off-leash areas. The following, in most cases, will be excepted:

parks that have passive and active uses, such as playgrounds, wading pools, permitted sports field activities; paths used for cycling, rollerblading and pedestrian links (boardwalks).
active play areas of parks such as toboggan areas, permitted locations and athletic running tracks
environmentally sensitive areas such as ravine areas and naturalized planting areas
parks adjacent to schoolyards
natural and artificial rinks
internal pedestrian park pathways that are used on a regular basis (neighbourhood connections)
sports fields
ornamental gardens
parkettes under a half hectare in size.
2. That fenced in dogs off-leash areas be considered for selected parks on a regional basis in parks larger than 10 ha, subject to the process and guidelines outlined in recommendation 1.

3. Before considering an application for a dogs off-leash area, dog owners using the park must form a group with a minimum of 15 members who agree to:

Provide "Dog-Watch" eyes and ears on the park to identify and help educate irresponsible pet owners.
Organize park clean-ups at a minimum of four times per year.
Repair areas damaged from dogs/digging.
Consult with Public Health - Animal Services for municipal code enforcement when required.
4. In consultation with the community and Ward Councillor off-leash times be designated (except in fenced areas) to minimize potential conflict with other park users.
Old March 29th, 2004, 04:05 PM

Luba,

What a great idea! I wish I could be of assistance but, alas, I am probably just a little bit to far away..... Best of luck to you!!

Michelle
Old March 29th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Tx Michelle

let me know if you move LOL
Old March 29th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Woah, I want to do something like that in my area. Of course, I'm too far away to help with your park though.
Old March 29th, 2004, 06:48 PM

Sadie must be the luckiest dog in Toronto to have you as her mom! Has anyone told her how big the lottery is that she won?

Michelle (& Oliver & Nadia - two other huge lottery winners...)
Old March 29th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Spoiled contact parks and rec in your area I'm sure they'll give you the information

CMT you're a doll!! I think I was the one who actually won the lottery!
Old March 30th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Whereabouts in Scarborough Luba? I am a little far away but I have friends in Scarborough that I can email about your cause and perhaps they could help?
Old March 30th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Great stuff

Scarb South West is the Riding area

Great stuff let them know