Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old June 5th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Looking for feedback on Performatrin Ulta from Pet Valu.

Hello,

I am asking for your assistance as I would like to know if any one else has had problems with this food.

On the advice of Pet Valu, I changed my 10 year old male cat's food from Science Diet to their "holistic, much healthier Performatrin Ultra". They informed me that they were slowly phasing out Science Diet and implied that it was sub standard food. After not quite 4 months of this, my guy is currently on a feeding tube with liver disease. He lost 10 lbs in the course of just shy of 4 months which my vet attributes to this food.

A lady I work with had her 9 year old male cat put down after living with endless urinary tract infections, crystals (they even had to operate to change him from a male to female) and finally liver and kidney failure after living a life with this food.

I am asking if anyone has had bad experiences with this food to please respond.

Thanks so much!
Old June 5th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I am so sorry for your cat, and hope he gets through this.

As for Performatrin, I used to feed the dry to my cats, as I was told by Pet Value staff, that it was the best, I started noticing that my cats vomitted often, and one of my cats did die of liver failure (December 7, 2001), but I never linked it to the food !

I changed food, because of the vomitting, and because the colour of the food changed (to a more yellow colour) and when I looked at the ingredients I saw the first one listed was, Corn .
I am sure that when I started feeding this food years ago, that this was not the case.

I now feed Costco's brand (Kirkland) and have had no problems since.

I wish you and your sweet guy the best of luck

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old June 5th, 2006, 01:04 PM

I don't understand- if you look at performatrin ultra's website, there's no corn in the food... I know a few people here have fed it to their dogs without any trouble..
http://www.performatrinultra.com/cat/cdi_chicken.htm

The bad ingredients in that chicken one are brewer's yeast (by-product) and Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (not for human consumption), but I don't see corn.
Old June 5th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
I don't understand- if you look at performatrin ultra's website, there's no corn in the food... I know a few people here have fed it to their dogs without any trouble..
http://www.performatrinultra.com/cat/cdi_chicken.htm

The bad ingredients in that chicken one are brewer's yeast (by-product) and Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (not for human consumption), but I don't see corn.
I stopped feeding my cats performatrin because the first ingredient on the catfood bag was corn (may have been corn meal) but it definately said corn! This came off of a bag of seniors performatrin for cats.

Like I stated in my previous post, that I am sure when I started feeding them performatrin it wasn't like this.I switched from science diet to performatrin when I aquired 6 cats and science diet was so expensive, and the staff at Pet Value told me performatrin was better then Science Diet and cheaper.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old June 5th, 2006, 01:16 PM

So their website is wrong then? (I'd just like to know...)
Old June 5th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
So their website is wrong then? (I'd just like to know...)

Could be! But I fed the seniors performatrin, maybe the Ultra is different??
If you can find the ingredients for performatrin seniors, we may see a diference in ingredients.

Old June 5th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
A lady I work with had her 9 year old male cat put down after living with endless urinary tract infections, crystals (they even had to operate to change him from a male to female) and finally liver and kidney failure after living a life with this food.
The brand of food is not the problem. Feeding dry food only to neutered males is the problem, often resulting in crystals and blockages.

Canned food should be the majority of the diet for neutered male cats. Any canned food is better than any dry on the market.

I'm very sorry about your own cat.
Old June 5th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Boss-lady!

I'm very sorry to hear about your cat.

All I can relate is my own experience-I have a 10 year old spayed female cat who has been on the Ultra for about 6 months now with no problems. In fact, her coat is beautiful, her muscle tone is better than it has been in years and she is experiencing a second kittenhood of playfulness.

My concerns with this food are the 2 that Prin mentioned, so I keep a close eye on her, but so far, so good. My dogs are eating the Ultra dog food and are also doing quite well.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old June 5th, 2006, 02:03 PM

Thank you to all of you.

Hi,

I was not expecting this for my pet and I do appreciate your kind words and all the information you've provided me with.

Thank you!
Old June 5th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Boss-lady!

Of course you weren't expecting this for your cat! You were doing what you thought was best. It seems that perhaps your cat was sensitive to something in the food, unfortunately. I hope things get better soon.

Old June 5th, 2006, 11:32 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats
Could be! But I fed the seniors performatrin, maybe the Ultra is different??
Yes there is a difference! Performatrin ULTRA - is the holistic version. Then there's the regular Performatrin ( or senior, Lite etc). I looked at the regular Performatrin before and the holistic version was my choice because there was no corn.

I'm not sure about the cat food, but I was feeding Performatrin Ultra to my dogs. No problems to report here. I'm currently switching them to raw just because I think they may be able to do better.

I hope your kitty gets better soon!
Old June 5th, 2006, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper'sMom
Yes there is a difference! Performatrin ULTRA - is the holistic version. Then there's the regular Performatrin ( or senior, Lite etc). I looked at the regular Performatrin before and the holistic version was my choice because there was no corn.
Ahhh!! Thanks Copper for that. (but even the ultra, which is the one I was looking at, has brewer's yeast and the menadione...)
Old June 6th, 2006, 12:28 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
Ahhh!! Thanks Copper for that. (but even the ultra, which is the one I was looking at, has brewer's yeast and the menadione...)
Ummm, I'm not food savy so I don't know about those ingredients. I've read some about the menadione, but the brewer's yeast? (If this is off topic, fill me in elsewhere!)
Old June 6th, 2006, 12:42 AM

It's just another by-product of the alcohol industry (like brewer's rice).
Old June 6th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Was your friend male cat being fed dry only?? Cats should have some canned food daily to aid in the prevention of stones, some animals are genetically disposed to being stone formers the performatirin Ultra contains cranberries which is used to help the cats uninary ph in the neutral zone to aid in preventing urinary stones. The food also contains methionine which is an acidier which will help prevent struvite stones from forming the common type in cats and dogs but if this cats had the very rare type of stone calcium oxalate which forms in animals and people who have highly acidic urine then methionine would be a bad thing.

Now for the liver issue

There is no ingredients in the performanance ultra that would cause this kind of major health problem in a healthy cat. What I would highly suspect is contamination of the kibble by molds or bacteria. It happens every so often with dog food and a bad batch is shipped and suddenly several will be sick or dying, the last big incident occured in Diamond foods the corn they used had very high levels of alfatoxin( a mold that grows on corn) several dog in the eastern states started dying of liver failure, some people had multiple dogs that all became ill, because more virus due not impact the liver the state university who was treat several dog from multiple househouse started asking questions looking for a common link, which lead them to the dog food and test verified it.

If you have some of the food left, talk to the vet about having it tested for fungal toxins, if there is contamination make sure the company who makes is contacted, so they can check to batches and don't throw out the bag because this has the lot and batch number as this become evidence incase of medical claims in the event of a recall.

Toxic molds can develop in pet foods in your home as well, light will destroy natural preservatives in food very quickly so after opening it is important to make sure the bag is folded closed after each use, it is preferable only have enough food on hand for a couple of weeks, if a bag has been open greater than 4 weeks, it should be thrown out. You should not dump food out of the bag into plastic storage container, put bag and all into the container to prevent bacteria dangers. Food should be keep in a cool dry place, most kitchens have too much humidity to store food safely and can cause mold growth in foods. This time of year with the hot and humid weather pet foods can spoil super quickly if you don't have cental air to reduce heat and get rid of the excess humidity. Depending on the type of mold and quanity some pets may go off the food and do some vomiting in other types it can destroy the livers and be fatal
Old June 12th, 2006, 11:42 AM

Looking for feedback on Performatrin Ulta from Pet Valu.

Just curious as to where this "moved" to?

Thanks.
Old June 12th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Performance Spaniels

The food forums.. Look at the top of the thread. It tells you where you are.

Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Recipes for pets - recipes for humans > Dog and cat food forum > Looking for feedback on Performatrin Ulta from Pet Valu.
Old June 12th, 2006, 12:03 PM

The food forums.. Look at the top of the thread. It tells you where you are.

Thank you mafiaprincess. I'm brand new here and didn't know.

Have a great day!
Old June 12th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Performance Spaniels

No prob. You too.
Old June 26th, 2006, 11:28 PM

performatrin Ultra

Performatrin Ultra is not the same as Performatrin senior or any other performatrin for that matter. Both the cat and dog Ultra made it into the whole dog journal.

Honestly there is no comparison between Perform ultra and Science diet. Read a bag of SD and try and find some real meat.
I think it really is sad what happened to you cat and we all know that this was more of a family memeber then a cat :-( So you are probably really questioning anything you did different.

As a breeder I have my puppy owners sign in my contract that they will not feed SD. We do feed mostly raw to both cats and dogs. We do have kibble on the side also.
I think you did the best you could for your 4 legged friend .
Old July 4th, 2006, 06:40 PM

Similarly, several months ago, back when I was buying Science Diet at Pet Valu, one worker there told me to switch to something more "holistic", "natural," probably the Performatrin. I actually thought it was rather rude of the cashier to tell me what to buy. I wondered, why is she doing this? What's the incentive, and I told her that I thought it was none of her business. I asked her what her training for this was, and explained to her that my vet, whom I trust a lot, recommended science diet. She had no formal education in pet nutrition, and was really just a salesperson. I would never let a cashier tell me what to do.
Old July 4th, 2006, 11:03 PM

Vets have very little training in nutrition too... I wouldn't feed Science Diet. It's loaded with corn and fillers that just don't benefit the dog but make up the bulk of the food. No thanks.

What do you think is your vet's incentive for recommending Science Diet? Does he sell other Hill's products in his office?
Old July 5th, 2006, 12:53 PM

Ya, actually Prin, he does sell some Hills stuff at his vet shop, but perhaps partly because they carry specific formulas for specific medical problems. He recommended a number of other foods as well, but I settled for Hills at the time, as it seemed a more modest price range.
Now I'm using Holistic Blend.
However, I remain skeptical of things called "natural" and "holistic." It's just my thing. Arsenic is natural.
Anyhow, the point being, yes, we all have a hidden agenda to some extent. I trust my vet who has 7 geriatric dogs of his own and 20 years of experience more than an 18 yr old cashier without any credentials who gives me unsolicited advice. Had I asked for advice, I would have been grateful for it, but really, I just stopped to pick up a bag of food in a big rush and was told to switch to Performatrin by a cashier I'd never met before. ???
I've been lucky with animals so far, they've lived the ripest of old ages even on the cheapest of grocery shelf foods. Probably due to having a lot of exercise and abundance of love.
Old July 5th, 2006, 12:58 PM

Isn't Brewer's Yeast a good thing? - it is a great source of Vitamin B's.
Old July 5th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Performance Spaniels

Out of about 4,000 hours in vet school. You might be lucky if your vet got 3-5 hours of nutrition a semester, and not every year. The ladies at global pet foods seem to have far better information than my vet ever will have when it comes to nutrition.

When you go to the dr, they refer you to a nutritionist, which there are in the vet world too. Your doctor doesn't start pushing diet advice on you. Think I'd be sketched out if the doctor's office was packed with random food products.

Brewer's yeast is in mainly crappy foods. It's a by product of the brewing industry. It has some vitamin B, but it's not worth nearly enough to be anywhere near the top of any ingredients list.

Marketplace did a dog food expose. Lot of vets were making 20% of their yearl income off of pushing dog food on clients. Gee, that's not sketchy.

If you actually look into the 'vet' formulas short of very short term use they aren't worth much. The majority are full of really crappy ingedients. Like gastro formulas made up of maily corn. Because that's gentle on a dog's stomach...
Old July 5th, 2006, 03:27 PM

Brewer's anything is a by-product of human processes. Why get one vitamin at a time from by-products rather than getting a bunch of healthy vitamins from real foods?

"Holistic food" is just a term loosely used to describe food with whole ingredients, not parts of ingredients or chemicals. Holistic foods usually have less/no filler, less/no by-products of human processes, less/no short cut ingredients, like beet pulp which hardens the stool chemically or corn which boosts the protein and carb content of a food even though a dog doesn't digest most of it.

Before you swear off holistic foods, you should take a look around the dog food forum here. There are a lot of links and ingredient lists around to look at and compare your food with.
Old July 6th, 2006, 11:17 AM

"Mafia Princess," don't be so judgemental. I asked my vet for nutrition advice, it wasn't unsolicited as it can be in the stores, and he doesn't carry "random" food products, where are you getting these ideas? And could you possibly be any more sarcastic?

Info on Brewer's Yeast:

http://www.vitaminuk.com/pages/artic...ewersyeast.htm

http://www.nutrition.about.com/od/as...ewersyeast.htm

"Prin," check out these links to know more about Brewer's. Perhaps you have some links to info that explains it's a bad thing? I'd be interested.
I haven't yet "sworn off" holistic foods, but I believe it's wise to be skeptical of some of these things.

Do you people work in pet food stores?
Attached Images

Old July 6th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Boss-lady!

you've intrepreted things so negatively, littlesister. Please check out some of the other food related threads to see what everyone is about. Prin is our kibble "guru" and technodoll is our raw "guru".
As for Prin, she has HUGELY educated herself on dog food to make an informed decision on what to feed her dogs, and has a BSc to boot. Many of us on this forum have benefitted from her "legwork" and deciphering of scientific papers about additives and ingredients.

I, too, initially came to this forum with the idea that grocery store foods were "good enough"-until I really started to read up on the ingredients and to compare foods. Now, I feed my dogs and cat the Performatrin Ultra you sneer at and am more than pleased with the results.

I also believed that Brewer's yeast is good source of protein and B vitamins, and it might well be. But it's also the crap left over after yeast is used to make beer. It is literally the sludge that they scrape out of the vats. I'd rather get my protein from chicken or lamb, thanks, and vitamins from actual vegetables, and now prefer to feed my animals the same way.

As another note, my husband was highly sceptical of the holistic food-he thought it was overpriced and pandering to people who spoil their pets. He was sold when we went from 12-14 cups a day of dog food down to 4 cups and the dog's fur improved, their muscle tone improved, the poop decreased and the poop smell (and the dog farts) decreased. And this from a guy who grew up feeding Alpo and table scraps to farm dogs!

Old July 6th, 2006, 03:39 PM

Littlesister, could you be more combative and rude? No, I don't work in a pet store.

If you actually looked around the food forum, you'd find links like these that tell you what is in your food, but obviously you haven't looked at all, even at the stickies that are "stuck" so that people read them first, which all makes me a little hesitant to bother helping you.

Like Skryker said, brewer's yeast is a good source of vitamin B, but there are better ingredients out there to get vitamin B. Why give a by-product of processes for making beer and alcoholic beverages than a whole, healthy ingredient that has other benefits too? I mean, good foods like chicken, bananas, turkey, oatmeal, salmon and others have vitamin B also. Wouldn't you rather feed one of those than a by-product with nothing else in it?

And sure, it's not the worst ingredient out there (not as bad as feeding corn that they don't digest at all or chicken by-products that can include the 4-D animals- dead, diseased, dying, disabled, or even soybean meal that can cause bloat in large dogs) but it's not the best either. Same with brewer's rice. Why put a cheap, nutrition-stripped by-product in there when real, whole rice isn't that expensive to begin with?

Here's one important link:
http://www.prestigepetproducts.com/WhatIsIt.htm
The sticky I posted it in: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=13203

Here's another sticky you should read:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=27297

And if you google '"Brewer's yeast" and by-products' you'll get some links like these (among hundreds of others):
http://www.pets4life.com/index.php?p...ch/articles/16
http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=ingredient-facts&pxsl=//ingredient%5B@id='51'%5D

Last edited by Prin; July 6th, 2006 at 03:42 PM.
Old July 6th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Boss-lady!

Red face

I just remembered that the cat Performatrin Ultra has Brewer's yeast in it.

I don't like that fact, but she is so fussy about food, I had decided it was an OK compromise. Thought I'd point that out myself before I got skewered for it.

It's OK to be a hypocrite if you can admit it, right?

Basically, it's a trade off-this is the best I can afford (IMO) and can reliably get that she loves. Same for the dogs. *Shrug.*

Oh, and mafiaprincess, I did not mean to leave you out of my defense above. My husband was reading over my shoulder and rushing me.