Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 29th, 2019, 02:33 AM

Question Tongue dysfunction or tumor in dogs

Hi all,

I’m seeking help / advice about a sudden onset of symptoms in my dog, and wondering if anyone has seen similar symptoms.
My dog is a pit bull mix, 9 years old. Good health. Still hyper and playful

Recently (<1 wk ago ) I noticed my dog was unable to drink water from his bowl… He was licking the water, but the water level stayed the same. It seems as though he cannot get the water(or at least not get anything when he tries), and can’t lick me ( which is his favorite thing to do - he’s a licker! :’(...) or himself easily. Otherwise has been acting his normal self. I brought him to his regular vet, who did an exam. Noticed that his tongue didn’t appear to be working as usual, difficulty with soft foods (frothes a lot due to trying to get the food past his tongue I suppose), but easier time getting solids/kibble. Stated that she realize that he seems to have a little bit less of ability on one side than the other, and noted that she could pull his tongue out without him gagging too much (if that’s significant), Although he was able to swallow, and still is. Which was not normal (The tongue part). She said that she had not seen this before, thought it was an issue with cranial nerves...Then she recommended that I see a neurology veterinarian. My dogs saw the neurology veterinarian next day, thought it was an issue with cranial nerves 10, 11 and 12, which are all in close proximity to one another. He recommended doing 1) oral exam under Anastasia with MRI after ($4000+ so not realisixtally affordable especially given if some,thigh was found, treatment would be likely way more or not even posssible). 2) oral exam only (though suspicion was would not necessarily find anything) 3) trial of steroid taper over a month or so… but we wouldn’t know what we’re treating even if they worked.

Due to expenses (and if it was something intracranial — what would we do to treat it, how humane would it be to put him through treatment???) and his age, I opted for the steroids. After a couple days of the steroid he had some diarrhea and vomited once so we stopped for 24 hours and resumed them but then diarrhea developed again we had to stop them, and may restart them again tomorrow but @ a lower dose.

It seems like all answers are pointing toward some sort of brain tumor compressing those nerves, my question is has anybody ever seen this before—and be something different? I’ve tried to look up online and do some research, but I haven’t found anything specific to this topic.

I guess I’m looking for a second opinion, Even though my better judgment-And me being a doctor of humans—knows that this is probably an accurate diagnosis given the symptoms. I would just hate to have him not be treated for something that maybe **easily** treatable. I guess it just seems so sudden onset, at least that I’ve noticed, that I’m hoping there would be something else that could be causing it but was treatable - as would any pet owner who loves their dog dearly. So far, symptoms have not really gotten any better or worse. Other than the fact that now he seems more hydrated and I’m giving him water through a dropper.

Sooooo hope someone can post experience or true vet experience. Thanks!

Last edited by Doglover222; January 29th, 2019 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Typos

Tags
brain tumor, diagnosis, neurology, tongue, vet advice