Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 9th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Lucy's daddy

Is it bad to wake the puppy up?

My Lucy is less than 3 months old and not surprisingly needs a lot of sleep, however I have noticed she's got a habit of falling asleep at about 5PM and not waking up till around 8 which makes here want to play until 12:00-1:00am. I'm ok with that right now since I'm with her most of the time, but soon it won't be like that. I'll need her to sleep from 10:00pm to about 7:00am.

I tried changing this habbit by waking her up and playing with her so she'd get tired but she still loves to sleep at those hours.

Is it bad to wake her up all and make her tired when what she really likes to do is sleep?

thanks.
Old March 9th, 2006, 06:52 PM
owned by Tucker

I'm sure it won't harm her, I try to do this to my dog too as he has so much energy that if I let him have a nap in the evening he's awake until 3 am sometimes and gets into all kinds of trouble.
Old March 9th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Either keep the puppy going or only allow a 30 minute nap at most. That way you will succeed at through the night sooner.
Old March 10th, 2006, 09:15 AM

We are currently experiencing this as well. Our new little puppy plays during the day and takes naps throughout, which is fine. But in the evening she plays, eats and then naps. When it comes time for bed, she sleeps for a little while and then wakes up and just wants to play after her potty break! It is hard to get her to settle down and go back to sleep so that everyone else can sleep!

How do you get your pup to settle down in order to get back to sleep in the middle of the night?

How do you wake up a sleeping pup when they just don't want to wake up? We try to wake Princess up but she just wants nothing to do with it. She is tired and wants to sleep!
Old March 10th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Lucy's daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaglemom
We are currently experiencing this as well. Our new little puppy plays during the day and takes naps throughout, which is fine. But in the evening she plays, eats and then naps. When it comes time for bed, she sleeps for a little while and then wakes up and just wants to play after her potty break! It is hard to get her to settle down and go back to sleep so that everyone else can sleep!

How do you get your pup to settle down in order to get back to sleep in the middle of the night?

How do you wake up a sleeping pup when they just don't want to wake up? We try to wake Princess up but she just wants nothing to do with it. She is tired and wants to sleep!

My experience is that instead of waking them up and playing with them inside, they should go outside where it's a bit chilly and not the best place for naps! That's how I got my Lucy to "really wake up"! She had no choice but to play around!

I guess it becomes a habit for them to be up during the day and sleep at night after a while. It's funny as I'm typing this Lucy has crawled back into her crate and is sleeping again!
Old March 10th, 2006, 12:04 PM

Sleeping Beautys

I think puppies and kids are the same as far as sleeping goes... it keeps them so cute that you have to forgive them for the sleepless nights, the chewed slippers. My daughter and puppy both, take alot of my time, but when I see them sleeping so peacefully at night... I realize that is their survival technique... "look so cute and no one could possibly get mad at you".

Anyway, to get back on topic, my little sam likes to sleep the evening away too and since I am trying to make it easier for him to learn to sleep through the night.. I have had to take him outside to play in the evening to keep him awake since inside he just rolls over or squeezes his eyes closed to give me the hint that he is sleeping and not interested in playing.

My son was like that when he was first brought home too. He used to try to fall fast asleep and then not want to sleep at night... we used to have to try to keep him awake for at least an hour before bed-time so we could get 4 hours of sleep. We usually had to undress him to wake him up as he would do what Sam does now and just close his eyes tighter.