Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 4th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Ontario Dog Lover

Orleans Ontario - place to walk dogs?

I live in the west end of Ottawa, but I will be dropping my kids for camp in Orleans each day the week of Aug 8-12. I will have my dogs with me and would rather walk them in the east end instead of getting back on the Queensway in morning traffic.
Does anyone know a nice place to walk, either on-leash or off, in Orleans or nearby?
Thanks!
many fish
Old August 4th, 2005, 12:35 PM
-

You can go to Conroy pit off hunt club. It is not exactly Orleans but isn't that far.
Old August 4th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Ontario Dog Lover

Thanks Stacey, thats true, the Conroy Pit is a good place. I haven't been there in a long while, and at least I would be heading back toward the west end!
I do love to explore new places though, so if anyone else knows of some green woodsy place to walk do let me know!
many fish
Old August 4th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Agility Addict

I know some people take their dogs to Petrie Island (and have even gotten away with letting their dogs off-leash and in the water!) But I have never tried it!

I take Dodger to the Mer Bleu trails once and while...if you are willing to head away from Orleans and take backroads, there are numerous trails where dogs are allowed (suppose to be on-leash but I've never seen anyone obey that).

The one I used to frequent is on Anderson road; if you wanted to avoid the queesway traffic, take 10th line, then take a right onto navan road, then left onto renaud road, then left onto Anderson (consult a map because my direction giving ability is terrible!). The wooded trails are up on the right, just after the hill (right across from some ministry building)...however, at this trail you are only about 10 minutes from Conroy so if you prefer Conroy, you might as well continue on the backroads to Conroy. I always take the backroads to Conroy - its faster because there are no traffic lights!!

The only other thing I can think of that is in Orleans, are these huge soccer fields near an newly built office of some sort. There near Innes and Trim; Dodger had a blast because there's about 3 soccer fields of open running space! Of course dogs aren't suppose to be off-leash though!

Melissa
Old August 4th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Ontario Dog Lover

Thank you Melissa, that sounds interesting. If the weather is nice I might try those woods, but I will stay on leash. I always get caught if I do something I shouldn't (I got nabbed by the NCC police while walking in a no-no area of the Bruce Pit). Or if I am feeling lazy, I will just continue to the Conroy Pit and let the doggies do the running.
Thank you both for your suggestions.
many fish
Old August 5th, 2005, 06:46 AM

Petrie Island does not allow dogs - something about harming the environment due to the Turtle reserve that's there - there was a big debate about that and not enough parking recently in the newspapers

Does NCC allow dogs on it's pathways? If so, the paths along the river are beautiful. I'm pretty sure there is parking at Green's Creek area.
Old August 5th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Agility Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by adplater
Petrie Island does not allow dogs - something about harming the environment due to the Turtle reserve that's there - there was a big debate about that and not enough parking recently in the newspapers
I know they don't officially; I was just saying that I know people who take their dogs there!

I used to take my dog along the NCC paths that follow the river (near the parkways) but it's patrolled all the time and I find it too tempting for my dog as he is a huge swimmer! But if you are gonna drive back to that area, you might as well take your dogs to the rockcliffe off-leash dog park! It's pretty nice there!

Melissa
Old August 8th, 2005, 07:50 AM

If you're there early enough you could probably get away with it, but personally I wouldn't want to chance it and have to pay $120!!

Here's part of the article that I read in the newspaper. I've heard from other people that the by-law officers were being fanatical about dogs / parking etc, not being lenient / giving warnings etc. Probably just easy money sitting around waiting to ticket people! I'm sure they've got quotas to fill!

"Petrie Island "is an animal-free park, " said Collard, adding that it received the designation because it has beaches, parkland and "a wetland component to it. " Since the park has become a popular beach destination "the visitors have increased ten-fold, " he said.

The matter falls under the city's Animal Care and Control Bylaw, which stipulates a basic fine of $120 to anyone who is found to be contravening any provision of the bylaw, he said.

"Like most bylaws, it's complaint driven. But because it's a pretty busy park, we sometimes have bylaw officers there, " said Collard. "But I can't say when they'd actually patrol it. "

There is all kinds of green space in Orleans. I live in the Convent Glen North area and all of our parks are dog friendly and are somewhat connected by one bike path that goes from the 174 to the river.

Last edited by adplater; August 8th, 2005 at 07:53 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:07 AM

Hey DogMa

I know of an off leash dog park in Orleans, it actually backs right onto my gf's parents backyard. If you get off the 417 at place'd Orleans, go down Champlain, over the overpass, until the end, turn left at the end, I believe the name of the street is Terra Nova, go down that road for a few seconds and right before it starts to loop there's a big walk way between the houses, right behind it is an off leash dog park, its not huge but plenty of room for your pup to run and play. It's not very well known so there's never been a crazy amount of dogs there when I've been there. There's trails that go down, kind of, along the water, they are paved, as far as i know those aren't off leash but it your pups well behaved i'm sure it wont be an issue. Hope this helps and my directions aren't too bad :P