Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 10th, 2015, 03:13 AM

Probiotics and canned tripe

We put the minpin on a permanent raw diet, beef in the morning, chicken with chicken bone meal (liver, gizzard, heart etc) in the evening and so far it seems to be going very well. He's always been fed raw meats as a treat, and was always fed different kibbles (when he was on kibble) so switching to raw has been a breeze.

Finding fresh raw tripe isn't easy, still trying to source some out. Bought some Tripett Original Green Beef Tripe in a can a few days ago to try out and I give him a bit with every meal. The stuff stinks but he loves it, eats the tripe before anything else. His bowel movements seem to be fine, but i'm wondering if we should be looking at some other probiotic to help along digestion? Or is there enough in tripe and his regular meals?

Is Trippet a good product? It contains carrageenan gum which i'm not sure on, mixed reviews online.

Found out the hard way that cooked turkey with skin isn't great for dogs. Gave him the remnants of a couple of cooked turkey drumsticks with skin on over christmas, didn't go over very well. Heavy shakes and panting the next morning caused a trip to the vet, thought he might have had some pancreatitis. He's fine now but it turned out to be an expensive treat. They did a full blood panel on him - good timing to get it done - all came back clear. He didn't poop for 2 days, vet gave him the finger up the bum - that went over really well, should hear this dog squawk - couple of bouts of the worst smelling diarrhea ever, and after that and he was good.

This turkey was fatty, tried to make soup out of it, forget it. From now on we investigate everything before feeding. I think he has issue with turkey, was giving pieces of turkey neck for bone meal, caused some of the same issue on a minor scale. Turkey is off the menu altogether now. Little bugger eats better than us.
Old January 10th, 2015, 11:24 PM

Is the Turkey a problem if it's RAW? My dog gets diahrrea from cooked turkey but eats the RAW with no issues
Old January 11th, 2015, 12:12 AM

Definitely when cooked, but he seems to have issue with turkey period.

Bought a package of turkey necks, cut them up into 1 inch pieces and bagged it raw with his regular meals of chicken, mostly for the bone content. But he still got the heavyish shivvers - no panting this tinme and it's caused a little diahrrea. Been tossing the turkey in the garbage and subbing him tripe and other bones. No issues so far and zero issues with chicken.

Been on poop patrol for longer than I care to admit with this little guy. His poop seems to be getting bigger and longer the last few days since we've been feeding tripe, not like the usual nuggets after switching to raw. Not sure if the tripe is causing it, but it's out of the norm for him.
Old January 11th, 2015, 12:50 PM

Maybe you should go back to a single protein that you know he does well on. I think you mentioned chicken? Is it complete whole ground chicken with bone? Feed this for a couple of weeks before adding in anything else. If you want to add tripe at this point make sure to introduce a very small amount. It is very rich and will cause diahrea if you give him too much. My 5lb papillon has an extremely sensitive tummy and will get diahrea very quickly if her diet is too rich.
I blend the proteins together and measure out 1.5oz portions to feed her 3 times per day. This way her meals are fairly consistent.
The recipe I use is:
16oz ground turkey with bone
4oz ground chicken without bone
4oz beef offal or beef tripe
Too much bone will be constipating but too much rich protein will cause diahrea.
Good luck with your little guy
Old January 12th, 2015, 10:49 AM

I don't grind anything for him, he gets his meals whole, gives him something to chew on. And at least that way we know what he likes or doesn't like. He doesn't like beef liver but loves the chicken liver.

Since the turkey has been removed, he hasn't been doing any heavy shakes and appears fine. It's only up til we fed him the cooked turkey that he's had issue with raw, maybe he's developed an allergy to something in it.