Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old June 14th, 2011, 01:18 PM

Has Anyone Tried Darford Dog Food?

Has anybody heard of Darford Dog Food Company? It's manufactured in Vernon, BC....only 45 minute drive away from where I live. Just starting to research it now, but was wondering if anyone here has tried it. They make a food called Zero/G and make lots of holistic & natural treats. I just bought a box of treats called Zero/G Lamb & Venison. I guess Zero G stands for Zero Grains, Gluten & GMO's. Rudy loves them!!
Old June 14th, 2011, 02:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I did a site search and came up this thread: Darford dog food

Not sure if it has the info you're looking for but it seems to have some links that might be helpful in your research.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 17th, 2011, 01:24 PM

I purchased a small box to try. I wanted to try a food that didn't contain potato but when you remove that ingredient to make a dry kibble you have to use something else as a binder and Darford uses peas and buckwheat.

My dogs are eating it but they are not as fond of it as they were of the Orijen and I think that's because it does have a vegetable/grain smell whereas the Orijen doesn't.

I think it's a good company and it sounded like the fellow who started it is very particular about the ingredients and manufacturing. The owner of the store where I purchased it from said that it is manufactured in Minnesota and the treats are made in Vernon. Apparently, he doesn't have the money right now to buy the equipment necessary to manufacture the food so that is why it it is produced in Minnesota. He was even picky about a batch that didn't meet his specific criteria for 15% fat and so donated it to animal shelters.
Old December 5th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Looks like the original folks behind Castor & Pollux (which was sold to Merrick earlier this year), have bought the recently bankrupt Darford company, and formed a new venture called CanAm Treats:
http://truthaboutpetfood2.com/castor...e-pet-food-biz

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 5th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Chum Mum

Chum has been enjoying the Zero G and holistic treats for about a year now. He loves them and we have had no issues with them. The ingredients looked good and I like the fact they are made in Canada.
R.I.P. Boog,Pootie, Bud & Tarkha
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I look into your soft brown eyes,
Where love and loyal homage shine,
And wonder where the difference lies
Between your soul and mine!
Old December 5th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

I have tried a couple of the treats. The boys love the cheese cookies, but I don't use them anymore. Rosemary is a controversial ingredient for dogs prone to seizures. I quit giving him anything with Rosemary a few months back, just in case. But then I won a treat basket and it had the cheese cookies so I decided to give the boys a few and Nookie had a seizure. Coincindence? Maybe... but I won't risk it again. Nothing with Rosemary for Nookie!

I do have to say that for treats, I do like the ingredients though (except, of course, the Rosemary)!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old October 21st, 2013, 04:50 PM

Unfortunately, the product is no longer made, and the company has changed hands. The treats are still being made, and are very good.

I have found that the Nutrience Grain Free product is a very good replacement for it. Very similar ingredients and palatability.