Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old November 6th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Thumbs up Great sites about dog food

I think we should make these a sticky

1. The Pet Food List - http://www.thepetfoodlist.com/petfoods_pg1.htm
(Contains information on pet food brands, manufacturers and ingredients)

2. The Dog Food Project - http://www.dogfoodproject.com/
(Helps answer the question "How does your dog food compare?"; contains great information on labeling information, ingredients to avoid, specific products, various myths and much more)

3. Dog Food Analysis - http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...iews/index.php
(Contains extensive listing of various commercial foods - dry and canned - listed according to star ranking. Most of the rankings contain an explanation for the ranking.)

4. Dog Feeding Information - http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html
(Contains a variety of information about commercial foods, supplements, food mixes, frozen raw products, and homemade diets.)
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 6th, 2010, 08:51 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Good idea. And slightly ironic. The first one is the site I found yesterday while doing a search for company addresses. It has both dog and cat info.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 6th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Some of them do but I am not cat food saavy at all. But maybe someone Hint Hint 14+ could do one for cats.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 6th, 2010, 01:34 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
Some of them do but I am not cat food saavy at all. But maybe someone Hint Hint 14+ could do one for cats.
It would carry more weight if sugarcatmom, love4himies, or growler did that. I'm sure it could be added to this one. This one is now stuck so hopefully it will be utilized.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 7th, 2010, 03:40 PM

this one is a great resource also -

www.dogfoodadvisor.com
Old November 7th, 2010, 03:50 PM
-

Thanks for posting those websites, mastifflover.

I just want to mention that the Pet Food List does not update their information any more so some of it is not up to date. The biggest one that comes to mind is Natura (EVO, California Natural, etc) is now owned by Proctor and Gamble.
Old November 7th, 2010, 03:55 PM
-

I would like to add another website for good information .....

Dog Food Advisor - http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/
Old April 8th, 2011, 08:21 AM

I like your list of dog sites except one.

www.dogfoodanalysis.com

They have not updated the ratings page for awhile now, but also I do not trust sites that rate foods, there is no such thing as the best commercial dog food, just good ones and bad ones. Also when you go to ABOUT it explains that the Editor of the site are a bunch of volunteers with a high interest in dog food. We have a high interst in dog food I cant call myself an expert.

I like www.dogfoodproject.com.

She also explains why sites that do rating on dog food are not that great. and the Author also has a degree in pet nutrition. Anyways that is my opinion.
Old April 8th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter001 View Post
I like your list of dog sites except one.

www.dogfoodanalysis.com

They have not updated the ratings page for awhile now, but also I do not trust sites that rate foods, there is no such thing as the best commercial dog food, just good ones and bad ones. Also when you go to ABOUT it explains that the Editor of the site are a bunch of volunteers with a high interest in dog food. We have a high interst in dog food I cant call myself an expert.

I like www.dogfoodproject.com.

She also explains why sites that do rating on dog food are not that great. and the Author also has a degree in pet nutrition. Anyways that is my opinion.
No. She does not claim to have a degree at all.

I don't think there is a university degree program with even a specialty in pet nutrition, let alone a degree in Pet Nutrition. Happy to be corrected on this one.
Old January 5th, 2016, 09:05 PM

Here is another one, www.pawdiet.com. I don't think they actually assign rankings, but they do highlight bad ingredients. They also have an awesome tool for filtering pet foods that is super helpful if you have a pet with allergies!

@peter001, I think its important to find reviews from multiple places. The dogfoodproject is actually an awesome resource, they have a great list of ingredient information. But as Longblades mentioned, i'm not sure thee is such a thing as "degree in pet nutrition." I checked her biography and it just says she took coursework in animal nutrition.
Old May 25th, 2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddym View Post
Here is another one, www.pawdiet.com. I don't think they actually assign rankings, but they do highlight bad ingredients. They also have an awesome tool for filtering pet foods that is super helpful if you have a pet with allergies!

@peter001, I think its important to find reviews from multiple places. The dogfoodproject is actually an awesome resource, they have a great list of ingredient information. But as Longblades mentioned, i'm not sure thee is such a thing as "degree in pet nutrition." I checked her biography and it just says she took coursework in animal nutrition.
I always resort to that site. Glad you shared it.