Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old November 27th, 2006, 06:14 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Quote:
supplement with a kibble
Blasphemy

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old November 27th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb999 View Post
Being the prudent dog-mom that I am, I have been to the vets on numerous occasions for Buster's digestive problems. And I have the credit card debt to prove it
Buster's had quite a few full blood panels done, rectal exams...I've brought in 'specimens' to have tests run on them. The whole kit and kaboodle has been done. According to the vets he's in tip-top shape. She thinks he may have an irritable bowel and an intolerence to certain foods. She's told me again and again, that all this is food related. I just have to keep listing the foods I've tried and finding the common denominator that's causing Buster's upset tummy
Thanks for worrying, but I'm definetly not self-diagnosing.

I am not speaking specifically of you Since your dog's problems is bowels rather than skin, Here is some info you might want to have your vet look at, I just checked to see if it is available in Canada for small animals(which it is) otherwise would have had to get thru a vet who cares for livestock

I know one vet( Suzanne Stack dvm) in the US usually recommends this with dogs with ongoing or constant flare ups of diarreaha before going thru all sorts of expensive testing and biopsy, colonscopies etc,as sometimes related to a bacteria most dogs can handle but some have problems with and because because most dogs can handle, fecal testing can present as normal, some of these bacterias are resistant to tetracylines which make the tysolin a better option and she says most dogs respond to this
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_tylosin.html

Quote:
Brand Name: TYLOCINE TAB 200 MG
Source: PROVEL
Active Ingredient: TYLOSIN
Comments: DOG, CAT
Date: 91/04/24
http://www.jvetintmed.org/perlserv/?...D%3E2.0.CO%3B2

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&cd=63

This article you might find the most interesting , it talks about testing and it describes how to tell if the problem is in the large or small intestines if in the large intestine diet change may help but if in the small it is related to something else, but since your vet feels it is food related the problem must be in the large intestine which is where the tylan powder use is most effective, some dogs do need to stay on long term otherwise there are re-ocurrances
http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proce...6539&O=Generic
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old November 27th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you very much OG -- I appreciate the info. I plan on returning to the vets in 3 weeks if things don't clear up (before switching to yet another food)

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old December 11th, 2015, 01:03 AM

Smile

Interesting study hypothesizes how the modern dogs developed the ability to digest starch in Southeast Asia, once agriculture — rice farming in this case — had become the major mode of subsistence for humans. http://news.ucdavis.edu/search/news_...ZzyfE.facebook

Last edited by hazelrunpack; December 11th, 2015 at 12:34 PM. Reason: No promotion, pls
Old April 23rd, 2019, 11:24 PM

I think dogs never eat vegetarian food

I think dogs never eat vegetarian food
Old April 24th, 2019, 12:30 PM
Senior Contributor

This thread is from 2006

I knew people who had a Saint Bernard
they feed a veggie diet I met the dog and he was very healthy and not unfed
Old March 26th, 2020, 12:57 PM

my dog doesn't like vegetables