Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old November 2nd, 2012, 09:41 PM

Mt. Laughington...almost. : )

Trip report here: http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=55474
Attached Images

Old November 3rd, 2012, 10:05 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

omd, she's gorgeous! Loved the writeup, too. Did you climb the cliff when she told you it was your turn? Loved the last sequence where she was approaching apologetically--our dogs do that little squint and that little tongue flick when they're apologizing, too! The video had the Pack's attention--they wear bells in the woods, too.

Those bubbles on the road were strange. I've never seen anything like that before. Does it occur often?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 3rd, 2012, 04:46 PM

Hey, thank you. : )

I don't like listening to that bell, and I am sure she doesn't either, but it's in her best interest. Not only does it warn big and little critters that we are coming, but it helps me keep track of where she is.

As for the bubbles, it's an old forestry road where they usually end up as stream beds. With all the fresh leaves, I'm guessing there are a lot of air pockets within them and the flowing water.

Thanks again : )
Old November 3rd, 2012, 06:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We use bells to keep track of ours in the woods, as well. I like the tinkling of the bells (so do the dogs--when they hear it they get all excited! ) and there's nothing like the peace of mind you get from knowing where they are when they're out of sight. We also use electronic beepers set to go off when the dog stops. The electronic beepers are much louder and we don't like the sound of them--but after one of our dogs had a seizure in the woods one day, we realized we needed some method of finding them if they go down.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 3rd, 2012, 08:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Great photos ! Your dog is so cute. I got a bell to put on my dog but I can't hear it. I need to put the Liberty Bell on my dog's collar so I can hear it.
Old November 4th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Terrific scenery, an adorable dog and a nice tinkle to that bell. I'm curious though, you people who let dogs loose like that, don't you have any snakes where you hike? I couldn't do it here, any exercise even at home needs to be under close supervision. It's brown snake territory and 1/14,000 of an ounce of its venom is enough to kill an adult human.
Old November 4th, 2012, 09:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Out west there are a few rattlesnakes and down south there are some copperheads and water moccasins that are poisonous, but near us in WI, unless you're along the bluffs of the Mississippi River, there really are no poisonous snakes that you're likely to run across. Here the main dangers are wolves, coyotes, raccoons, traps and occasionally, barbed wire...

Old November 4th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Senior Contributor

How much danger would the wolves and coyotes be to your sized dogs, Hazel, or yourself?
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Supposedly, to us, none, although I've heard anecdotal stories of deer hunters being treed by wolves. The dogs are another story--Wisconsin has multiple dog deaths due to wolf attacks each year (some occurring right in backyards ). The state doesn't keep as close statistics for dog/coyote clashes, but I've heard (again, anecdotal info) of injuries and in one case a fatality after run-ins with coyotes. Not sure what the statistics are like for Canada.

Old November 5th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Senior Contributor

That's scary. Dingoes here will kill dogs of course but I'm not in a dingo area.Do wolves see dogs as a food source?
Old November 5th, 2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Terrific scenery, an adorable dog and a nice tinkle to that bell. I'm curious though, you people who let dogs loose like that, don't you have any snakes where you hike? I couldn't do it here, any exercise even at home needs to be under close supervision. It's brown snake territory and 1/14,000 of an ounce of its venom is enough to kill an adult human.
The snakes in the SW corner of BC are harmless. As for other critters, there are bears, big cats and coyotes to worry about (in SW BC), but they are quite skittish, for the most part. They see us, and they are gone in a flash. You just don't want to surprise or corner them, and that is why Katie wears a bell.
Old November 6th, 2012, 11:32 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Do wolves see dogs as a food source?
They see them as trespassers, GF, and intruders.

For the most part, that's how the wildlife is here in WI, too, John--pretty skittish and as long as they hear you coming, they get out of the immediate area.

Old November 6th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Great pics as always John, glad Katie is so obliging.