Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 18th, 2009, 09:45 AM

Exclamation Cat throwing up

Recently, I noticed that my 10 year old female cat, Dizzy, appeared to have an upper respiratory infection. Along with that, she seemed to be throwing up more often than usual. She is a long haired cat. Took her to the vet. They gave her an antibiotic shot that would last 2 weeks for the respiratory infection. She is still throwing up every time she eats. Have been giving her laxatone for hairballs. This has been going on for about 2 weeks. Has lost a lot of weight. When she throws up, if it is dry food, it appears that she has not chewed her food up--it is whole. I feed her purina indoor formula along with a small amount of canned food. Needless to say, she comes out from under the bed only when I am at home and even then it's not often. She shares the house with 2 other cats and a small dog. The vet gave her a thorough exam and could find no reason for her throwing up. Help!! I'm afraid I'm going to loose my Dizzy.
Old February 18th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibrarian View Post
The vet gave her a thorough exam and could find no reason for her throwing up.
Did the vet take any blood or urine for analysis? If not, I strongly suggest going back and having a full senior panel done. Weight loss is always concerning in an older cat. Is she pooping and peeing normally?

Does she also throw up after eating wet food or just kibble? Can you feed her only wet and see what happens? Cats really shouldn't eat dry anyway, so if she likes a good canned food (preferably something without grains, like Wellness, Innova Evo, Nature's Variety, By Nature.....) it would be a good idea to make a gradual switch. Here is some more info for you on feline nutrition: www.catinfo.org

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 18th, 2009, 02:25 PM

Cat throwing up

I have an appointment in the morning. She is throwing up wet and dry food.
I don't know if they did blood work last week or not. Do know that they checked her out fairly thoroughly. Will check on the bloodwork.