Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 25th, 2004, 01:55 PM
banned user

ACK Hannah GROWLED at me!

I was trying to get a bandana on her and get her to sit,when she growled and kinda snapped at me....I put my arm around her chest,gave her a sit command and told her to settle..YIKES..kinda scared the carp outta me! She then went to her crate and fell asleep
Old October 25th, 2004, 03:38 PM

Diamond went through the exact same thing! When taking something away from Hannah, give her something in return. If she tries to get the bandana from you again, a firm NO and a HERE YOU GO (happy voice) while giving her something else should work.

Diamond growled when we gave her a smoked bone and I tried to take it away. Doing as I mentioned above, she no longer growls at me (or Terri) and we take whatever we want from her mouth without fear.

Keep at it. She's just pushing to see how far you'll let her go!
Old October 25th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Good advice, is our little girl trying to push mom around. Does Hannah realize how many owners she has to answer to when she is a bad girl.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 25th, 2004, 04:32 PM
banned user

Mastifflover-LOL

shes trying to show us whos boss...what she doesnt know is that she AINT IT,but she will soon learn...
Old October 26th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Huffy Hannah

I am sorry but I don't know Hannah's age - sometimes that info can help.
I would encourage you to start working her commands more throughout the day (gaining her respect each time she does as you ask), and to put that bandana, and collars on her as often as you can. If we just put her in the crate we avoid teaching her good manners. Avoiding problems doesn't teach and can often make them worse. I am glad you addressed her tantrum, but I think it would be good to continue working through it and past it.
If a dog has a problem with something then we do 'it' as much as we can until they no longer have a problem (a dog who lives in a vacuum store rarely has problems with vacuums). In order for anyone to work through a fear or issue, they need to do the very thing that bothers them, repeatedly and with a successful outcome.
I would have a collar and leash on her for added control incase she tried to squirm away or gave you attitude. Ask her to sit/stay (or down/stay) and rub her all over with the item - make it a very nice experience - then move it to her neck and put it on - and praise her for a good job, then do it again, until it's an non-event. If she gives you attitude - correct her and start over. Sometimes you have to work your way towards the area in question and repeatedly run your hand over it until the dog accepts it and then do it with the item. This is often how we work a dog who has toe-nail issues.
Do not let her bully you - this would be the beginning of a bigger problem. She is testing/challenging you and you can't let her know it works. If she starts to think she can control you with a simple snap, then she is more likely to try it in other situations. You are the parent here and back-talk from her is not permitted.
Remember that a dog will typically only challenge you 3-5 times and if you are consistent in meeting the challenge, then they will submit - it is who they are born to be. Challenge the leader - if the leader is consistent then submit - because it is a waste of energy to challenge something that is consistent.
I hope this helps.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old October 26th, 2004, 12:05 PM
banned user

Hi,Hannah is 10 weeks old

We want to attend classes,but hannah needs her 2nd round of shots first...Iam going to take her to pup socialization class then beginner obedience and beyond

Iam doing some training with her right now,such as sit,down and come...oh and she can now shake a paw.She is doing VERY well with her commands..I command her whereever,whenever,if we are outside I will stop and ask her to sit or down....Hubby and I play a "come" game with her as well,.

I have taken things from her mouth from day one,.,,telling her to "give" then praising her when she does...I make her sit,before she gets her food..So all in all,Iam establishing myself as a leader...and hopefully she will continue to get the message

I have used a leash from the time she came home,as well as her collar..she NEVER goes outside unless she has a regular or training lead on....I have introduced her to a gentle leader as well,because I know it will help with her training

Thanks for your suggestions
Old October 26th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I do agree that you need to start taking Hannah's collar on and off alot. We have 2 different collars, and a harness for our dog Cano. We have the regualr black collar with studs, for everyday. A choker that we put on along with the harness for walks. So we are constantly taking off his black collar before walks, putting on the choker/ harness combo, and visa versa.

He is very attatched to his black collar, I guess he loves looking tuff. But if he misbehaves, we take it away from him for a week, and put him harness on him instead. I don't know why it works but it does. He just loves wearing that collar so much! We now have him to the point when he sees his collar, he sits, and waits until the collar has been put on, and you give him the ok to go.

Hannah will try to test you. Cano never growled at us, but he has tried getting away with things, and not listen. It is normal.