Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 13th, 2009, 12:21 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Good to hear from you, JDFlea! Looking forward to Shrek's update!

As to the xrays/CT scan...this is just my , so take it for what it's worth.

Xrays (whether regular or CT scan) can't tell you for sure if a mass is cancerous. In Priscilla's case, a vague mass showed up in an inaccessible place. To biopsy it would have meant removing a lot of bone from her face so we didn't follow up.

The xray did, however, tell us that there was something there...and in Priscilla's case, since the rhinoscopy was negative and there was no indication of a fungal infection, there was a high probability of it being cancer.

So xrays can be helpful in locating a mass--plus they're fairly inexpensive and can often be taken with the dog under just light sedation. Maybe you want to consider having regular xrays taken to see if a mass is present, juniorlover? If there's one there and it's accessible, a biopsy would give you an answer pretty quickly. If there's nothing showing, maybe there is just an awn stuck up in his nose and it can be flushed. At the very least, an xray might help you decide what direction to take.

A CT scan would give a more detailed picture, but is pretty pricey and you'd still have to follow up with a biopsy for a definite answer as to what is going on.

Your vet might have a different take on it...it certainly doesn't hurt to ask about it.

How is the Vitamin K working? Junior still holding his own?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 13th, 2009, 04:45 PM

Thanks hazelrunpack and jdflea, it is good to have some dialogue with you both. Junior is doing well at the moment, it has been 3 days since he has had any significant bleeding. He has had a few drops of blood yesterday and today but stops on its own. I will be speaking with my vet on Monday and ask about and xray. thanks for the info!
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:00 PM

hey, it's been a long time since i posted here. it's been a year and a week since killian's first nose bleed and today we had to make the decision i've been dreading. the tumor suddenly spread from his nose into the rest of his head. the right side of his skull was suddenly swollen to twice it's normal size. in one day. it's been hard for him to breath and he's had blood and mucous from his nostrils since his first nose bleed, but he never stopped playing or eating. i kept wondering how i'd know it was time, but i knew this morning, after our night last night it was time. i am beyond sad for us, but happy he is no longer in pain. i know the average lifespan past the first nosebleed is 3-5 months, and feel amazingly blessed to have him for over a year. i just wanted to update and let you all know that they can live longer than the statistics i'm sad to see so many new people here, this is an awful cancer. hugs to you all.
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:08 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry, mrsjackblack. Killian was a very lucky boy to have such a doting family.

You're all in my thoughts and prayers tonight!

Killian

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 16th, 2009, 10:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

This thread is just so heartbreaking at times. My heart goes out to everyone who has to go through this.

Old March 16th, 2009, 11:29 PM

thank you
i agree, it is heart breaking, but it's so important. when killian first had symptoms, this thread was the ONLY thing on the internet i could find! this cancer seems to be so rare, and isn't common enough to be on most vet help sites when you look for nosebleeds as a symptom. as i read though this thread, i ended up in tears, because as i read i had figured out what was going on with my boy. i'm so thankful it was here! you are amazing to keep up with it too, and be all of our personal cheerleader and shoulder to cry on in the end.
Old March 17th, 2009, 07:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I wish I'd found something like this when Priscilla's nosebleeds started--we had next to no info at all and half of the info we did get (even from the vets) was misleading or wrong. No one seemed to have any experience with nosebleeds. :sad:

I didn't realize that there was still so little information out there. I'm glad that you found your way here.

Old March 18th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Shrek's Mom

Unhappy Sorry to hear about Killian

So sorry to hear about Killian , what a beautiful boy. It is so amazing that you had all that extra time with him.

That is so true, this is such an amazing thread to have, although it's ashame it has to exist...it would be much better if nobody or no furkid had to go through this.

You and Killian are in my thoughts.
Old March 18th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Shrek's Mom

Smile

Hello Juniorlover! Glad to hear Junior is still doing well! I hope you'll let us know how he's doing!
Old March 18th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Shrek's Mom

Update on Shrek

Hello Hazelrunpack,

Shrek has done so well, considering it was quite awhile ago since the vet thought he'd have 1-3 weeks left. Back then, he'd been having huge nosebleeds at least 3 a day, and had such a big one at the vet's that the Dr was worried if it were to continue that Shrek could go into shock. Shrek's vet has been amazing , he phones alot to get updates on Shrek, and somehow (though he's very busy) manages to make us feel like Shrek is his only patient! He tried Shrek on Azithromycin which cleared up his secondary infection, and for we had no significant discharge, and no bleeds. His stomach was doing wonderfully (porridge after his breakfast, and porridge with probiotic natural yoghurt after his dinner has really helped). Shrek also gained back 3 pounds. I was worried after the first course of antibiotics finished, as Shrek looked worse within days, so the vet gave us another 2 courses which isn't the norm, but felt it warranted in Shrek's case (especially with his stomach holding so well). This perked him up again, and he looked amazing. After that he had a rest from the medication, as the discharge had returned. The thickening just in front of his right eye started to grow. The vet gave us some Steroid eye drops, but it didn't help as much as he'd hoped. He tried Shrek on Baytril, but that didn't seem to do much. So, Shrek is back on Azithromycin for the moment. We were starting to think that the bacteria was developing a resistance to the anibiotic, but we found out from a mucous test that there is no resistance showing. He had a bleed the other day, but so far, it hasn't returned . Although his lump is growing at a rather alarming rate now, and we're going week to week. Shrek has been enjoying the spring weather. He's been going on walks, and playing in the yard, and loving being able to lie outside and chew on soup-bones from the butcher. And as you can see, he's still good at taking up the better part of a queen-sized bed. (I had to sleep sideways one night, because he was so peaceful I didn't want to disturb him! LOL!)
Attached Images

Last edited by JDFlea; March 18th, 2009 at 03:57 AM.
Old March 18th, 2009, 02:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Aw, a sleeping Shrek That's definitely a Shrek-sized bed. No room for hoomans! He looks so comfy!

You're managing his symptoms so well, JDFlea. I'm glad he's responding well to the antibiotics and the bleeding has subsided a bit. It certainly sounds like he's enjoying himself. How great that the weather is cooperating for walks!

And your vet sounds wonderful--a partnership like that is immeasurably helpful!

As always, pass on a kiss and a hug to Shrek for me--and slobbery shnuffles from the Pack, if Shrek doesn't mind a little spittle

Old March 20th, 2009, 09:32 PM

hanging in

Hello to everyone,
Junior is still occasionally having some bleeding, especially if I let him go outside and sniff around. He is eating and drinking fine, and sleeps alot. He is still on the vitamin K. After a few discussions with my vet who has known Junior through all of his other trials, we have come to a conclusion as a family to not do further tests or treatments. He has lived a longer than normal life for a basset and I think in my heart that he has had enough! He can barely walk around the yard, due to his arthritis, is completely deaf, nearly blind, and just old! We are loving him up constantly, he is never alone more than a couple of hours, even our neighbors are helping to check on him. He has won the hearts of all he has wagged his tail at.
To mrsjackblack: I am so happy that Killian outlived his prognosis that gives us all hope, and I am so sorry for your loss. To Shrek and JDFlea: Hang in there with us we can make it a day at a time! To hazelrunpack: Thanks for the hug and Junior is sending one back to you!
Attached Images

Old March 20th, 2009, 09:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I can see why he's won so many hearts, and why you're juniorlover--that boy just exudes sweetness! He's lucky to have you and your family around to love him.

Best wishes to you and your family and, of course, to Junior. I'll be thinking of you. Please check in every once in a while, okay?

Old March 21st, 2009, 10:09 AM
Shrek's Mom

Red face

Shrek says for the shnuffles and hug and kiss Hazelrun and the pack! He sends back a big lean (he leans on people he likes), bow, and clean nose kisses all round.
(LOL! Shrek's Dad will be back soon, and I think we may need to get a Kingsized bed by then, or someone will have to sleep on the floor! And I don't think it will be Shrek! ... and I think I should buy shares in Kleenex. )

Hi Juniorlover, thanks for the support! Great pic of Junior! I love bassets! So great he's able to get so much attention and love. I see how he could easily win the hearts of those around him. Please give us updates, we'll be thinking of you both.
Old March 21st, 2009, 08:20 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I love leans

I don't think the king-sized bed will help, though--we've found out that dogs tend to expand into the space available, so no matter how much you provide, Shrek will fill it all! And he'll look might fine doing it!

Old March 22nd, 2009, 11:20 AM
Shrek's Mom

Talking

That's true! There's no point in spending the extra money...the expansion would be inevitable! LOL!
Old March 27th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Shrek's Mom

Unhappy

Shrek has taken a turn for the worse. :sad: Took him to the vet, and he said he hadn't given up on him yet, but although he hoped he'd be proved wrong he thinks we're now talking a quick descent (days). He had noticed a change in the lump and his breathing (I noticed a change in his 'sparkle' over one afternoon and got him to the vet the next day. It was just the evening before yesterday that he started to look more lethargic). I know what I have to look for to make 'the decision'. But he has still had tail wagging moments and wanted to eat...he's even a little more lethargic today though. Shrek got to see his Dad today, he gave him a great greeting. We are hoping that for the next few days we will get to take him for walks , and are going to get some soup bones in the morning...we will try to really enjoy what time we have.

Will give you an update soon.
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm so glad that Shrek got to greet his Daddy today, but so sorry to hear the rest of the news, JDFlea. I hope you all have more time together than you expect.

for you and Shrek's Daddy and another for the valiant Shrek (also a couple of kissies between the eyes and one for the top of his gorgeous head.)

You'll all be in my thoughts and prayers

Old March 30th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Shrek's Mom

Unhappy Shrek Dec 2003 - Mar 2009

Hi Hazelrun, I gave Shrek your kisses.

We had such a great Saturday with Shrek, we took him to a park with a few trails, where he explored and we followed. Then we got the dogs some marrow bones and they chewed them in the yard for a few hours and enjoyed the warm weather. He was starting to look a little less steady than usual, and we noticed his breathing getting worse. He didn't want his kibble, or biscuits, so we gave him porridge -which he liked. Saturday night was a rough night for him as he seemed to have alot of trouble breathing. We weren't sure he would last the night, as soon as he'd get into a deep sleep, he'd breathe in, then it was like his body wanted to breathe out through his nose but couldn't, so he just stopped breathing for a few seconds. We were trying to keep him comfortable, and didn't really get any sleep. For the first time, we noticed the nerve twitch which told us the tumor was starting to cause nerve damage.

Sunday morning, Shrek was not responsive, he was so tired and didn't want to get up. :sad: We said good morning (which usually made him jump up and wag his tail), and coaxed him and called him but he just kept sleeping. He got up when he sneezed and then he had a small nose bleed. He stopped wanting to go downstairs without help, he seemed unsure of his footing. He went outside, and ate porridge and tripe for breakfast. Then, he went back to looking really tired and introverted, and had started sneezes with a head shake. The twitch showed up again a few times. He perked up when I brought out a marrow bone for him to chew; it seemed to distract him. He rested quite peacefully. Then we took him for a walk, and he walked like an old dog, a little unsteady, and was weaving a bit. But then he perked up a little and made us laugh by walking into the kitchen and licking the end of a homemade loaf of bread my Mom had just made. So him and Mojo got to share that piece. That night, he got a several course meal: cold milk (the vet recommended it to soothe his palate); cold homemade ham soup; then steak/porridge/& natural yoghurt...he seemed to really enjoy that...then he wanted a second helping of the porridge/yoghurt. As recommended, we gave him a double dose of Metacam. We put the humidity up to 50%, as the vet had suggested, to help his breathing. I think that helped, and he had a better night. But he had stopped wanting to go downstairs. :sad: And he didn't want to go upstairs, I prepared to sleep in the living room with him where he seemed to want to be for a few hours. Then, I went upstairs for a minute, and to my surprise he followed me. It was so nice to have him on the bed one more night.

This morning, he did get up with us, but he still looked tired. The twitch showed up again once or twice a little worse than Sunday. :sad: And he was sneezing while shaking his head. He started pawing his face like the tumor was annoying him. He didn't want to go downstairs, and my husband had to carry him. :sad: Then, so he wouldn't have to do stairs, I took him out the front door and round to the back gate, and he trotted down to the back yard and acted like there was nothing wrong, he even went for a little run. We had made an apointment to take him to the vet at 9am. I gave him a porridge/ham soup/tripe/steak breakfast -which he really seemed to like. Then he slept again. He still looked more frail, tired, and uncomfortable...but it was so hard when he ran to the car wagging his tail. :sad: We took our other dog Mojo with us, so the family could be together and she wouldn't wonder why he hadn't come home. We brought his comforter, and got him all comfy, gave the dogs some homemade bread as a treat and enjoyed some extra time together. And after a bit of time holding him and trying to talk about good things -so we wouldn't upset him, the vet gave him the assistance to pass-over. He was so brave, and slipped away in my arms so quickly, and peacefully, with Mojo and my husband close-by. The vet told us that it was so fast, he was likely very weak and ready. Even though I didn't want to be selfish and keep him around till the last moment for my benefit and I didn't want to let him suffer; and I knew he was just going to steadily get worse, it was still so hard to let him go. The rest of the day has been really rough, we tried to do a few things to distract us, but I know it will be a long time before it doesn't hurt so badly. :sad:

He had lots and lots of kisses and hugs, the last few days -and since we were lucky enough to adopt him. He's packed alot into 5 short years; he's been to daycare, travelled accross the country, and been my shadow...and I hope he is in a warm happy place with no pain.

Thanks Hazelrun and friends for all your kind words and support.
Attached Images

Last edited by JDFlea; March 30th, 2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old April 1st, 2009, 04:24 PM

sweet Shrek He is playing at the Rainbow Bridge with those who've gone before

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm so sorry for your loss, JDFlea I've had computer problems and couldn't get back till today. I was hoping for better news. :sad:

My heart goes out to you and your family. I'll light a candle for Shrek, big beautiful boy that he is. Your love and care was the luckiest, most wonderful thing that ever happened to him, and I'm sure he's not only in that warm happy place, but he'll be waiting there for you when it's time for you to start on that journey

Shrek

Old April 4th, 2009, 10:19 PM

Still hanging in there

Hi to everyone,
Junior is still hanging in there. He has a noticeable lump on the left side of his face now and seems to have drainage down his throat that makes him cough and sputter. He is picky about his food and we have been spoiling him with whatever he wants. He still has some bleeding but not severe, and has sneezing spells a few times a day. He has lost that sparkle in his eyes.
JDflea, I am so sorry for your loss, Shrek was a beautiful guy and was so lucky to have such wonderful people to care for him. I will continue to check in with you all.
Old April 4th, 2009, 10:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I was hoping Junior was doing better. :sad: Sending more hugs and kisses for the sweetheart.

You're doing all you can, juniorlover--taking it a day at a time and loving him every second. He's lucky to be with you.

Old April 4th, 2009, 11:37 PM

juniorlover just wanted to send some & for Junior & you, may he have many more good days than bad

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old April 5th, 2009, 06:02 PM
-

This is such a sad thread :sad:

My heart goes out to all of you that have had to live this terrible illness with your beloved animals

Juniorlover - your boy Junior reminds me so much of our Basset, Skippy, they look almost identical
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:47 AM

getting worse

Thanks to all of you who are sending hugs on this thread. I am so lucky to have this support. Junior's tumor is pushing on his left eye, it is draining and I can only see the white of his eye. He ate his breakfast this morning but after, had a period of difficulty breathing that lasted about 1/2 hour. I was afraid it would get worse but it finally got better. I realized that we haven't heard him bark for about 2 weeks now, he was always very vocal. My son who is Junior's original owner, has been staying with us to help take care of Junior, but last night he had to go home. So I blew up an air mattress and shared it with Junior, and he decided I needed to share my pillow too! It was so comforting to have him right next to me. I know that we will be making our final decision soon. I'll be in touch.
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:59 AM
-

Lots of 's going your way for Junior.
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

My heart goes out to you and Junior, juniorlover, and you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Old April 6th, 2009, 09:33 PM

sooner than I thought

We said good-bye to Junior at about 6pm tonight. His eye was bulging worse as the day went on. When my son and husband came home around 5 we all realized that Junior was ready. Junior was having trouble breathing off and on today and couldn't find a comfortable position to rest his head. I kept telling him to stop wagging his tail so I would be able to make the decision easier. He wasn't interested in eating even the things he loved the most today. I thought he might like to be out in the sun but he was restless being outside. He was loosing all of his senses and seemed anxious, but that also could have been pain, I'm not sure. We don't know what to do with ourselves now, Junior was always a worry these last few years, but never a burden. He gave us all so much love that we could never repay in a million years! I don't know when I will stop hurting but Junior is worth all the pain.
To all of those who are still dealing with this, hang in there and don't miss a minute to return all the love you receive. Maybe in time I will be able to return all the support you all have given to me............thanks.
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a lucky boy Junior was to have such a loving family.

Take care, juniorlover. Stay in touch

Junior