Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Senior Contributor

I tried to explain but got laughed at :(

I've been away for a few weeks. We just moved into our new house and we finally just had our internet and cable hooked up on friday. I was going through some serious withdrawal.

Anyhoo, I have a favour to ask.

Last weekend we were visiting with hubby's family, his sis and BIL were visiting (we only see them a few times per year). They've got a dog that gets along great with Skylar, yay!

We had taken the dogs out for a nice long walk and were sitting around with a few drinks chatting. The dogs were completely pooped and were sprawled out on the floor. Someone made the comment that they looked dead, I jokingly said if they're not careful they'll get sent to the rendering plant for dog food (bad joke, I know, but I said it).

Well this sparked a conversation about pet food (up until this point I had never talked to them about dog food or asked what they feed). They didn't believe me that not long ago euthanized animals were sent to rendering plants and then processed for use in pet foods in the lower end brands. They laughed at me as I was trying to explain. Then we moved on to pet food in general and I tried to tell them that there is a difference in quality (stuff you buy in grocery stores vs. great brands at pet supply stores). I tried to explain ingredients etc..., but again was laughed at and basically told that I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internet and that's what governing bodies are for (ya right) and they wouldn't allow something unnutritional to be sold (again, ya right).

So I didn't clearly get my point across and was really flustered due to the laughing. I felt very foolish that I couldn't properly get out what I wanted to say. His dad actually impled that I'm a crazy activist by telling me I should go join the protesters in Quebec City (I'm assuming he was referring to the APEC protests a few years ago)

I'd like to add that hubby's BIL is an MD and although he knows plenty about humans, he knows nothing about animals, but that didn't stop him from dismissing what I was saying. I also tried to explaining that vets get minimal nutritional training and that I probably know more than a vet about food. Again, I was met with dismissive tones and laughter.

It turns out they feed their dog Hill's, so I tried to explain why it's not the best, and was questioned about what I feed Skylar and the cats (Orijen!) and they asked why it's better. I don't think they believed me.

By the end of it I was pretty upset and I felt like an idiot.

Hubby's sister seemed somewhat interested and asked me to send her some websites to look at (perhaps she's just humouring me)

So my favour to ask is this: Could you guys help me find some really good nutrition/info sites that aren't hokey or amateurish to send to her? Preferably ones with lots of scientific mumbo jumbo since they're both in science based industries.

I know www.dogfoodproject.com, but beyond that I haven't been able to find any good ones.

Thanks gals.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??