Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 9th, 2010, 02:05 PM

Which dog breed would suit my family?

My family currently have five amazing pets, and are thinking about welcoming another member to the family!

I'll tell you about my pets first.

Dogs:

Dutch; Male, Husky/Lab mix, 13 years.

Brought home when I was 3 years old, Dutch was just a pup. He was a rescue dog saved from a puppymill. He was very good with me and my brother (who would've been one year old at the time). He was playful, and funny and got along well with our beagle, Maggie (who has passed) and she acted like a mother figure for him. He was easy to train, but when disciplined would become dominant and growl and snarl at you when you would use a firm tone of voice. After Maggie passed Dutch became depressed and VERY anti-social with other dogs. When we took him to my grandmothers he would attack her male dog Shorty. He was fine with any females, but males he would become very aggressive.

Scout; Male, Collie/German Shepard mix, 2 years.

I recieved Scout as my miracle Christmas present ('09 his was ten weeks old). He was rescued from a home where the owner had many dogs, and very little food to go around. Scout had to fight for food, or starve. After that traumatic life, he became aggressive and protective around food. We helped him through that and now is good with people hands being in his bowl, etc. When we brought Scout home, Dutch was used to being an 'only child' so he did NOT like Scout, at first he would be aggressive but once he realised Scout was a part of the family he just avoided him. Now the two are best friends playing together, cuddling -but Dutch still protests since he is not big on cuddling.

Summary of how they reacted when they met;

Dutch is fine around females, but unsure of males until he becomes used to the idea that they are a part of the family.

Scout is loving, and loves to cuddle but is still slighty defensive around silly things -such as his toys .. or a sock .. or something that somebody else might want, but in a silly playful way. Scout enjoys all dogs, and like to play with all of them -especially the neighbours dog-.

Cat:

Bearcat; Male, shorthaired, 13 years.

Overweight loving cat, was once a pharil -if that's how you spell it- cat who was abandoned at a dump when he was a kitten. He adapted well to being in a home, and loved getting attention .. and food. He is quite lazy and very shy but likes to be 'knawed on' or massaged by dogs nibbling on his fur. Strange cat! But he is so loving!

Summary for the cats want for a dog breed: Cat friendly, one who's willing to give out Kitty-Massages!

Horses:

Austin; Male, Paint/Belgium, 10 years.

Fat and loves to recieve hugs and be brushed. He was previously a school horse but the school had to close down so we quickly scooped him and Rhapsody up! Very good with dogs -except Dutch because he nipped at his hooves when we first brought him home. Also is very good with other pets -we had chickens that they would let sit up on his back.

Rhapsody; Female, Appendix, 17 years.

Tender, loving but has a slight attitude but when you look past that she is everything anyone could ask for. She was also a school horse, and is good with dogs and other pets as well.

Summary for horses wants for a dog breed: A breed that will give us space and will not try and herd us. As long as its kind to us, we will show the same amount of respect.

My house is a large 150 acre farm. We would like a breed that is easy to train for coming when called since we have no fenced areas, but they will NEVER be left unattended! My family has a fairly busy schedule, since my parents leave for work at 7:30 and they don't come home until around 5:30, however my brother and I leave for school at 7:30 and return home around 3:00. When I get the appropriate license I will travel home at lunch and during any spares -I will have this license by the time I get any pet-.

So basically!

We want a breed who ..

Is very good with cats!
Easy to train!
Very loving and good with family and kids!
Has less energy but still has plenty!
Will give other animals their space!
A Breed that is AMAZING with other dogs -especially male-!
Dominance is less common!

So I had been studying some breeds and one that I though may be good for my family would be a female Basset Hound puppy. Do you think this would be a good breed for me? Please give any suggestions!

P.S. Sorry for it being so long!!

Tags
breed, help please, suggestions.