Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old August 27th, 2009, 09:42 AM

Missing cat in Oak Park, Oakville

Jack is our brown tabby (neutered male) who ran away August 6th at dinner time.

He is about six years old, weighs about 25 lbs. has brown fur with white chest and legs.

Jack is not declawed and very nervous around strangers so he will probably run if approached. He does not wear a collar but will appear to be well fed and healthy. Jack will probably be hiding under some bushes or plants as he is not accustomed to being outside.

If you see him, please call us at 416-540-6395 (ask for Samantha) or the Oakville Humane Society at (905) 845-1551 and refer to his file “Jack” Ward

Jack lives at 94 Littlewood Drive.

IF YOU COULD PLEASE LOOK IN YOUR YARD; IN YOUR BUSHES OR UNDER YOUR DECK IF YOU HAVE ONE, SINCE HE IS AN INDOOR CAT, HE WILL MOST LIKELY BE HIDING IN THESE SORTS OF PLACES THROUGH THE DAY.

OUR LITTLE GIRL MISSES HER CAT VERY MUCH, IF YOU COULD TAKE A MINUTE TO LOOK WE WOULD BE VERY APPRECIATIVE.

THANK YOU.

Attached Images

Last edited by redbowls; August 27th, 2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Add photos
Old August 27th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

please email a pic and I can add it.
m a r k o @ pets (dot) ca

Use standard email formatting please.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 27th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Senior Contributor

redbowls,there are not many people from Oakville here,only 2 I think.
However,since Jack is an indoor cat,he probably is not far away.
It's been suggested to put things outside familiar to him,his litter-box,some really smelly food,like Tuna,maybe a blanket with his scent.
Also,grab a flash-light and look for him after dark,the flash-light will makes his eyes shine,knock on doors and ask to look in backyards.
Hope you find him,I just noticed he ran off August 6th,that's quiet a while ago,maybe someone in your area is feeding him and caring for him.
Old August 28th, 2009, 11:09 AM

Thanks Chico2, I will try the tuna and blanket trick. I have a box on the porch with a small pillow and tshirt of mine currently. I have put his food out but the racoons eat it.

We have been out looking at night regularly but have seen no sign of him, just another cat that we have had a few calls about following our poster blitz of the local post boxes.

For a big cat, he is really nervous so I fear he has gotten further away with each encounter. We also have a condo construction site nearby and I fear he has wandered into it and had a misadventure.
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:10 PM

I hope Jack comes home soon
My thoughts are with you
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I would go in to the construction-site and ask the workers,if you have not already done that,sometimes workers will feed stray kitties.
Is Oak Park north of the QEW?
Old August 28th, 2009, 07:31 PM

I know how you are feeling. Our cat Tuffy got out of the house the evening of August 5th and we have a wooded park across the street. She has been a house cat for 10 years and will be 11 on Sept. 17th. We have delivered 800flyers and put up many posters. Some of our posters have been removed by weather and some by human hand but we keep putting them back up saying "STILL MISSING".

We also have many raccoons so the tuna and live trap did not work. We have her bed on the porch and put our shoes out at night. I think I know every cat in our area now - and I know the ones that are fed but have no home. We go to the Burlington animal shelter every day. The humane society only receives animals after they have visited a vet so we have called all the vets and put posters in the closest ones.

Many animals turn up after a very long time so we will never give up hope!

On my travels I found another cat that was missing and it was returned to its family and that felt great!

Old August 29th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Senior Contributor

redbowls and jayne,I hope you both get your kitties back,don't give up hope
I as a multi-cat owner,am always looking wherever I go for missing,lost kitties/dogs.
However with cats,you never know if they are lost our just outdoor catsthat,I think is often the problem with cats.
A dog running loose,people assume he's lost and try to get him.
RB's,the Oakville Humane also pick up animals killed on the road,I hate to say this,but did you ask them??
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:43 AM

JayneT, I have also been checking Burlington, Oakville and Mississauga Humane Societies and have also kept an eye out for Tuffy when checking. He's such a distinctive looking cat, I know I would recognize him right away.

We are located North of the QEW, South of Hwy 5, in between Trafalger and Sixth Line.

Thanks to all for the kinds words of encouragement.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

You can also leave out this litter box as well. Since it has his smell on it. You can also leave something out that has your smell on it. OHS do pick up deceased animals off the road, domestic and wildlife. For domestic, they are bagged and placed in a separte freezer...the deceased bodies are also checked by the lost and found and the bodies are kept for awhile, just incase an owner does come forward.

ACO22
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:36 AM

I've put the scratching post and a cardboard box with a flap hanging down on the front porch with an old T shirt of mine stuffed with a little pillow.

I had been putting food out only to realize I had a little mouse stealing it and giving me false hope it was actually Jack. Watched the mouse for five minutes last night make his was back to the bowl for munches.

I keep have a daily ritual of checking all the website for the local HS but nothing and have put flyers in all the boxes of my local neighbours last week.

I can't help but keep an eye out for my boy but must admit I'm losing hope ....
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Redbowls, if you give up hope looking for him, then no one will be looking for him. Its sad really. While at work one day, I got a call about a stray cat that someone had confined. Picked up the cat, back at the shelter scanned for a chip. The cat ended up being chipped. Lost and Found called the owner, and she was shocked, but emotional. The lady said that her cat has been missing for a year and she just came to think that she was never going to see her cat again, so she stopped looking.

ACO22
Old October 4th, 2009, 11:28 PM

I think I know what you are going through. Hang in there and keep the positive thoughts flowing!!! It is hard but I can't believe I won't see my Tuffy again.
Old October 5th, 2009, 12:30 AM

I'm sorry you haven't found Jack yet come home soon

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 16th, 2009, 06:43 PM

Thanks to all for your encouragement. Perhaps with the leaves gone he will have less camoflage.

I still keep an eye out for him whenever I am out and about and continue my vigil of checking HS websites although our Oakville HS has been closed due to a cat virus for a couple of weeks now making it impossible to check ("cat room is temporarily closed").

Like Jayne, I don't believe I won't see my big boy again. I have enrolled at Pet Lynx as they are connected to other out lying HS and have a cool registry which searches shelters based on markings of the animal. I wish all the shelters would sign up for this as it is really good.
Old October 16th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Mickey, my angel

Just sending that you get your boy back soon.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old October 17th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Senior Contributor

from me tooI have his picture in my mind and your phone-number handy,you never know
Just don't give up hope,ok
Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:32 PM

Thanks Chico! Good news, the Oakville Humane Society has finally lifted their quarantine. I was there last week to have a good look and also had a close call with a kitty via the Burlington HS. Sadly, not Jack, but a lovely boy none the less, poor thing had lost his eye. Outdoors is not the place for these lovely animals, that's for sure.
Old November 4th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Redbowls,so sorry I was hoping you'd found him by now,but still,never give up
Old December 27th, 2009, 08:54 PM

Still looking for Jack ...

I found a similar cat sleeping in the box left outside for him a couple of weeks ago during the very cold day we had. I called the Humane Society and I think they came and got him as I haven't seen him since.

I still find myself scanning the neighbourhood for him as I drive through. We miss him very much as does our other cat who seems to be more clingy these days, especially when we get home from work. Might be a good idea in the New Year to start thinking of a new companion for him.
Old December 28th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Senior Contributor

redbowls,never stop looking for Jack,you never know and he needs someone to think about him,wherever he is..
I reunited a cat with his owner just before X-Mas,I had just by chance seen a poster in the Metro-store and recognized him as a cat I'd seen at my house.
I called the owmer and they brought a crate with the kitties blanket and other things with familiar smells.
The next day he was in the crate trying to get warm and the owners picked him up

Tags
oak park, oakville, tabby