Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 3rd, 2007, 09:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Dog Anal glands - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

Cooper had the stinky fishy anal gland smell about 3 weeks ago. I took him to the vet who expressed his anal glands and said that it's just one of those things. He said that nothing causes it and nothing prevents it.

Okay, tonight my little buddy was climbing all over us on the couch and sure enough he reeks again. It's Saturday night and the vet isn't in again until Monday and I really really don't want to pay emergency vet prices for something that's less of a health issue than it is a gross out factor.

The vet talked about 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock positioning but I'm kind of worried about doing anything that might cause harm. Any tips, hints suggestions? Is it really alright to do this ourselves? We were out ice skating all afternoon and I'm pooped and not looking forward to this and the bath afterwards.

And I'm also a little bummed because I'm thinking he's going to be prone to this if it happened again so soon.

Anyway, enough of my whining. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me !
Old March 3rd, 2007, 09:19 PM

I'd reccommend an alcoholic beverage of your choice, and a surgical rubber glove. LOL

My cat has this problem when she was younger, and a change of diet seemed to fix it completely. I forget exactly what the vet said causes it, but I do remember it was something to do with the stool not being excreeted properly. Maybe do a search?
Old March 3rd, 2007, 09:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

This is not necessarily a bad thing--if the anal glands are 'going off' (so to speak) by themselves, they at least aren't going to get impacted. We had a male dog with impacted anal glands and only surgery eventually fixed the problems. Did the vet think Cooper's anal glands were inflamed or infected?

All six of our dogs have times when their anal glands 'go off' (so to speak ) periodically. I've found that dampening some paper towels and using them to wipe off under the tail goes a long way in controlling the odor. (Use more paper towel if you don't want to get any on your hands ...or use latex gloves.) If Cooper is expressing them well by himself, that may be all you need to do when you catch a whiff of 'tuna butt'.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 09:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you both so much. I'm going to take the advice and pour myself a drink AND use the wet paper towel trick.

The vet didn't think they were impacted or infected and the first vet I called seemed to think that he was expressing them naturally and that it was ok--for the reasons that Hazel gave.

I thought I read something about diet playing into it but can't remember where I read that but it sounds like a good thing to tell my husband when he's giving him too much people food.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 09:48 PM
Mom to a Hairy Little Son

Here's a site with an animated 'how to'. It's easier than seeing real pictures! I found it when my guy was having problems (I did take him to the vet in the morning) and I found it was really helpful. I know my dog was relieved that I found it (nasty pun intended)!

http://vetmedicine.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm
site=http://www.marvistavet.com/html/anal%5Fsacs.html

Good luck!

* copy both lines into your browser

Last edited by One Beagle Girl; March 3rd, 2007 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Edited to add
Old March 3rd, 2007, 10:10 PM
Performance Spaniels

Miss Cider had a one time issue near a year ago. They were expressed and I've been paro ever since about 'what if'. They were fairly full, and the liquid was no longer liquidy, therefore she couldn't express them.

Since then she likes to play with her bum, like she didn't know she had one prior to her anal gland issue. And I've caught fishy bum a few times. But.. no problems causing excessive bum munching.

At our evil horrible yearly vet appointment with a tool who wasn't our normal vet he tried to push 19% Hill's nasty fiber food on me. And was super mad when I called it crap.. Said more fiber.. firmer stool.. less anal gland issues.

But.. her poop is fairly firm. I've dropped a teaspoon of bran buds into her kibble now and then, doesn't seem to change much. Thankfully lately she's thinking less about her bum.
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:48 PM
boubou

If your smelling them, I wouldn't worry too much about it. He has the 'gift' of being able to empty them herself. Usually there is a problem when the dog is scooting his bum around constantly and there is none of that lovely anal gland smell. That's when you should get him to a qualified groomer or a vet to have them emptied.....
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:14 AM

Food is a factor if the stool isn't hard enough to empty the glands on its way out... Allergies can also irritate them and make them fill up faster... And some breeds and some individual doggies have glands that fill up more than others... Boo also gets irritated glands when he gets too much flax...

But if you're going to do it yourself, I suggest doing it outside.
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:15 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I actually don't mind the smell any more. Good thing, too, considering how much of it we partake of around here. I've found that if you have a cold, it clears the sinuses, as well!
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:32 AM

Old March 5th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Rocky is g0ing through this now! He is going for surgery tomorrow for his TOOTH, but I took him in for his annual check up recently cuz he is "gassy" I have been messing with his diet for ages trying to fix it...turns out his anal glands were really bad and so they were expressed by the vet... but at this very moment he is freaking out with this AGAIN...he has been at the vet TWICE recently about this and they say he is NOT bloated and may still have irritated anal glands so that when he passes gas its painful But that was almost two weeks ago??? shouldnt it be okay now/ Cause its not! And now Im worried that he has some weird underlying condition that might compromise his surgery...(his safety during the surgery) AND he was coughing today aghhggh! I think I may be in panic mode cause of the impending surgery but I dont know.... YES I have informed them via the vet tech that I have these concerns but Im still scared!
Also, Rock is going to be 8 yrs old, hes never had any anal gland problems before so I dont know how much of this "normal"
BTW very Im very sorry for the "run on sentences" !
Old March 5th, 2007, 10:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyrocky1 View Post
Rocky is g0ing through this now! He is going for surgery tomorrow for his TOOTH, but I took him in for his annual check up recently cuz he is "gassy" I have been messing with his diet for ages trying to fix it...turns out his anal glands were really bad and so they were expressed by the vet... but at this very moment he is freaking out with this AGAIN...he has been at the vet TWICE recently about this and they say he is NOT bloated and may still have irritated anal glands so that when he passes gas its painful But that was almost two weeks ago??? shouldnt it be okay now/ Cause its not! And now Im worried that he has some weird underlying condition that might compromise his surgery...(his safety during the surgery) AND he was coughing today aghhggh! I think I may be in panic mode cause of the impending surgery but I dont know.... YES I have informed them via the vet tech that I have these concerns but Im still scared!
Also, Rock is going to be 8 yrs old, hes never had any anal gland problems before so I dont know how much of this "normal"
BTW very Im very sorry for the "run on sentences" !
If his anal glands are impacted and/or infected, they could still be bothering him. However, I doubt that it would adversely affect his upcoming surgery.

The coughing might be a problem--was it a cough/gag after, say, chewing on rawhide or sticks (which my dogs are famous for ), or did it seem like he was coming down with something?

Will you be talking to a vet or a vet tech when you bring Rocky in for his tooth? Best to mention both problems then and have the vet decide. I hate the night before surgery--so many worries, too much imagination!

Good luck to Rocky tomorrow!
Old March 7th, 2007, 05:32 AM

Hi, my shih-poo puppy started doing the carpet drag so I did some research on anal gland problems and found some sites saying that if you add a small amount of canned pumpkin (not the pie type-just plain pumpkin) to their diet that this could help. I give Bailey about one teaspoon of pumpkin a day and so far she hasn't had any more problems. This has been for about 4 months now, so I think the extra fibre in the pumpkin has helped. I freeze one teaspoon mounds on a cookie sheet and keep them in the freezer-pull one out each night and she thinks she's getting the best treat! She has been on innova puppy food since we got her and have just recently switched to evo. I'm not sure if there was enough fibre in the innova, but didn't really want to switch foods as I think innova is one of the better foods out there. She now likes the evo better and with the pumpkin-everything is seems to be fine - no more carpet drag-or skid marks!!
Old March 7th, 2007, 09:40 AM

My friend's beagle needs her glands expressed every frew weeks, said her vet. If not she reeks, vet said hounds have that smell to cover up dog smell when hunting. Her vet showed her how to do it, but she doesnt like that idea. The groomers here will do it for a couple of dollars. Keeps the smell down. Maybe if you dont like the idea of doing it, check the groomers, maybe a standing appt 2x a month.
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:38 PM

My one dog has always had anal gland troubles. I think that allergies did make the situation worse so once I changed her diet it did help although she still has trouble.

The vet told me that her glands are situated further out and so it is difficult for them to be emptied naturally or manually. So, I don't do that myself. I have also heard that fiber does help - bulks up the stool and helps to clear the glands.

Thank you golfgirl for the tip on freezing the pumpkin - never thought to do that and would keep it fresh for longer. I usually open a big can and keep it in the fridge but I like your idea.
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:50 PM
-

I shouldn't read these threads while eating my lunch
Old March 7th, 2007, 03:31 PM

The problem with expressing them too often is that it's very irritating and it can actually cause them to produce more...

Babyrocky, are you sure it's not an allergy? Is he licking more? Boo licks his hiney relentlessly when he gets too much flax, and the licking stimilates the glands...
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Rocky is FINE!

Hi all, I was just re-reading my post lol I do get my self going thats for sure....Phew well he did just fine with his surgery, I refused to leave him til the very last minute and told the vet tech at least 17 times about all of my concerns, He is actually feeling so well, I dont know what to do with him, he wants to play kong and he cant for three weeks or so. Anyways, anal glands.... ahhhh! he only had them expressed the one time, I have definately noticed that he is still upset about them, the vet said AGAIN that theres nothing there so hopefully he is just still sensative about having them expressed the first time.... sorry about your lunch there Frenchy hahahhah...!
Prin, he doesnt lick or drag himself, nothing that would have tipped me off that that was his problem, I just kept changing his diet.... ! At least I now have it narrowed down to the right part of the anatomy.....! Why now I am wondering...he is almost eight and now problems in that ahem...area before.
Old March 10th, 2007, 01:31 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Glad to hear that Rocky is doing well . There's nothing worse than presurgical jitters.

As for timing on the anal gland thing--we've noticed in our dogs that as they age, the anal glands seem to become more problematic. Maybe because there's less physical activity? Unless they become impacted or infected, it shouldn't become too big a deal--they'll just need expressing a little more often

Good luck on making him forget about his Kong. We have a Kong queen here, and she actually mopes if she doesn't get to visit her Kongs at least once a day!
Old March 14th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Yes, this can be done at home with some training. A fair number of people/groomers/vet techs will only attempt external expression, i.e., using the thumb and forefinger at the anus (approximately 4 and 8 o'clock position if one views the anal region as a clock), and using gentle pressure to extrude the fluid in the anal sacs. This will work in a fair number of cases.

There are many cases where this will not work, and these animals must be expressed internally. Using a gloved, well lubricated forefinger, the digit is gently introduced into the anus, approximately to the second knuckle of the finger, and using gentle pressure via the external thumb and inserted internal forefinger, the anal sacs are collapsed and thereby force the contents to the outside. usually this material is very thick and granular.

I have had some success using a high fiber diet to encourage anal sac emptying without this manual aid. Most dogs with anal sac problems have an
underlying sebaceous gland component, usually allergic in nature.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490
Old November 5th, 2007, 08:14 PM
-

Is there a particular reason you are keeping your dog unspayed?
Old November 5th, 2013, 10:46 PM

anal glands

my doxie is having the same problem, i actually googled what to do because she just jumped in my lap reeking AGAIN, so basically there is nothing to do rather than getting her glands expressed biweekly or even weekly as needed..
that's 15$ a visit..
i asked the vet, what to do and all they said was to give her benadryl for she may have allergies. But the med makes her sick.
I feel bad kicking her off the couch, and i know she feels embarrassed because she constantly tries to keep it clean, but... then her breath stinks lol..
Old November 6th, 2013, 02:43 AM
Senior Contributor

It's usually diet related.