Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old November 24th, 2007, 02:24 PM

Question Food-related Dandruff?

hi everyone

I recently (last month) got a kitten and she has been doing well. She has FHV and a heart murmur but we can work through those.

Today I noticed that she has really awful dandruff... She is on Nutrience Kitten food. I do give her Luv treats though. Is it the food causing the problem?

What food do you recommend? The vet told me science diet or eukanuba but a friend told me she finds them crappy? Any ideas?

I have heard of the meat diets and stuff. I must admit I find it interesting though I know nothing about it so I will go check that thread.

What are you guys feedings your cats?
Old November 24th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Are you feeding her any canned food? I would. In the dry category, Orijen is good, Eagle Pack regular and holistic, Innova, Chicken-Soup-for-the-Soul isn't bad, there are others. Science Diet is not great, I'd avoid it. Look at the first ingredient; if it is a grain, as opposed to meat or chicken, avoid it if you can.

What is her history? If she had a bad start, the skin thing might clear up on its own. You could add a little vegetable oil to her food. Cocoanut oil is supposed to be fabulous but you must buy organic so it's spendy.

Got a picture of the little darling?

PS Don't worry about the treats unless she's pigging out
Old November 24th, 2007, 04:02 PM

Yes I do give her canned food though not regularly. What frequency is good? I mix it with her dry food. I admit that she does get some scraps but I do not overdo it and she always eats her dry food.

I have never seen Chicken Soup... I hope to find it. That's the food my other friend suggested.

Is olive oil good?

As for her start in life... I have no idea. I got her when she was 2 months from the pet shop. I met the person who brought her in and she was all over her so I don't think she was mistreated. However, she is very fearful with certain things such as shots at the vet's. It surprised all of us. they had to be 3 on her. Sometimes she gets so scared that she trembles and poops. :sad: I love the lil pipsqueak and I want her to be well.

And her with her bestest buddy my bunny Ashton

Old November 24th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww, what a cutie-pie! And the bunny too .

If it were up to me , I'd feed her only canned food. I know lots of people like to leave dry out all day for their kitties, but honestly, it isn't necessary. Here's some info on why wet is better than dry: http://www.catinfo.org/

Some "human food" isn't so bad for cats, as long as it's not more than 20% of their diet (unless you're interested in a homemade diet, in which case more research into the appropriate supplements is required). Plain (especially uncooked!) meat is the best. My dude loves a few chunks of raw turkey and chicken now and then (good for the teeth as well). Some veggies are okay, (just not onions) but cats, being obligate carnivores, really have no need for them.

Olive oil is good, but salmon oil would be even better. Squeeze a few drops from a capsule into your cat's canned food and her fur will become amazingly soft.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler